Zucchini!

Options

Replies

• aries7298
    aries7298 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Have you tried baked stuffed zucchini?

I have not, but after these recipes, I think I will be making it tonight!!

This is one of my husband's favorite ways to eat it. He didn't used to eat veggies much.... :noway:
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I love grilled zucchini! Slice them up thin the long way (1/4" or smaller thickness), brush or spray with a little olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss them on the grill. They only take a few minutes per side and taste fabulous! Oh, and if you make a whole bunch at a time they freeze well, too.

Now I know what I'm having for supper :bigsmile:
  • Amberdee35
    Amberdee35 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We have been grilling our zucchini. I cut it into slices or chunks and pair with mushrooms and onions and coat them with olive oil and seasoning (garlic and sea salt grinder is yummy!) and put them in a foil packet and grill. Also i like to saute the zucchini with olive oil, onions, garlic, broccoli, mushrooms in a huge iron skillet. Throw in some red kidney beans if you like and add mozzarella cheese. Pretty tasty.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    3 cups sliced zucchini
    2 cups sliced green pepper
    1 cup sliced onion
    2 fresh tomatoes, chopped (or 1 large can chopped or stewed tomatoes)
    2 tsps. Italian seasoning
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Saute onion (in 1 tablespoon olive oil) till soft (about 5 minutes); add zucchini and green pepper and saute about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and seasoning last and simmer about 10 minutes.

I use this as a side dish, and if there are leftovers, it tastes better the second day. :)

This is good served over spaghetti squash too.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options

Will be trying some of the stuffed zuke recipes I just read...and that zuke chocolate cake sounds interesting...any idea if it would work on a white cake? Obviously, it would look more festive, but I can probably spin that with my 6 year old.

Works with any flavor cake mix - white, yellow, spice - or brownie mix :)

How long is that baked? At 350 I take it?
  • caitlindrew422
    caitlindrew422 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just discovered "Zucchini noodles" and I am in love! I just shred the zucchini on a box grater using the large grate. Salt it and let sit for a few min. to start sucking moisture out. Rinse then lay out on a paper towel and try to suck up more moisture....I don't know if all these steps are needed but it's what I did.
    Then I just threw in a saute pan with some olive oil and garlic for a minute or two...basically to warm it, topped with some shakes of parmesan cheese and waa laaa...instant new favorite.
    Next I will be making it and topping it with some simple beef, broccoli, onion stir-fry
    Then maybe some spaghetti sauce...the ideas just keep coming!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    We are having stuffed zucchini for supper today. Cook small amount of lean ground beef,drain well.Add sliced mushrooms,diced onion & green or red peppers.Cut large zucchini in half. Scoop out most of the flesh,mix with other ingredients..Saute till veggies are cooked. Season with S&P,garlic .whatever you like.Stuff the shells.Bake 35-45 mins.Sprinkle with shredded cheese.

Some recipes call for added tomato or spaghetti sauce.
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    RE: Baking Zucchini cake:

Since moisture can be different each time - I do bake at 350 and bake until an inserted knife/toothpick comes out clean. It will be moist.
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    bump.
    I have 3 zucchinnis I need to use up right now!
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Bump, a lot of great ideas thanks
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Idk but I hate Zucchini.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I lightly sauté them (sliced in half lengthwise, then cut into slices, so they are 'half coins'). I add some almond slivers and garlic while sautéing, then sprinkled little freshly shredded parmesan cheese.
    My husband refuses to eat zucchini. It's just for me.
    He does eat zucchini muffins, though.
  • Jaimeknits77
    Jaimeknits77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usually slice it up, season with some dried herbs a drop of EVOO and bake for a few minutes. Not too long though I really hate it when they are too soggy. a little garlic, basil, or dill and some pepper is my usual. It makes for a nice side.
  • ajewellmom
    ajewellmom Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Made this on the weekend and fell in love with it. Freaking amazing!!! It's simply zucchini chopped and sauteed in olive oil with onion. Add a can of green chilis then mash and put in cheddar. I could eat the entire recipe, but I shared.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/zucchini_mash.html
  • chris2267
    chris2267 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I use a julienne peeler (peeler with teeth to make ribbons). Love zucchini noodles instead of pasta, however the rest of the family isn't as interested. I usually cook them in a pan with some Kerry Gold butter or bacon grease. Top with some chicken and pesto and maybe some mozzarella. Yum!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Why not make some veggie lasagna with it! Yum!
  • Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Mmmm :) Fresh Zucchini sounds so good right now!
    Trying making Zucchini Muffins for dessert. No sugar added
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/zucchini_muffins/
  • Jaimeknits77
    Jaimeknits77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    O.K. now I'm hungry! All these recipes sound so good!
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    One of my faves is so simple & great when you have just one or two or when zucchini and squash available.
    Extra virgin olive oil lightly in a pan with lots of sliced onion & the sliced zucchini. Sprinkle with garlic and pepper. Cook til al dente~ Enjoy,

Best way to cook it! So simple and the flavors are awesome together.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Yes, more please :bigsmile: