Wondering about people who eat the same foods

Options

Replies

• ForumLurker
    Options
    I put time aside every Sunday to precook and measure out all my meals for the week, it's usually the same foods every day.
    Every couple weeks, I change up the menu to keep myself from getting bored. I've found that it helps me stay on track better.

I struggled for a long time to lose weight when I had to scavenge through the cabinets and fridge to prepare meals every day, I'd end up grabbing too much food (eyes bigger than my stomach) and going over my calories a lot. It's just so much easier to grab a pre-packed meal, heat it up, eat it and know exactly what's in there. Also, MFP makes it easy to track my meals because I can save the whole meal (Quick Tools > Remember Meal) and not have to manually put it in every day.
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My meals at breakfast, morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack are pretty much the same....my breakfast and snacks are protein shakes, protein bars, or fiber bar.....i eat chicken and veggies just about everyday for lunch...i will sometimes change up the way i cook the chicken and i alternate veggies...it keeps me focused...however, dinner is my different meal because i cook different things every night...i dont get bored...keeps me on track and plus i like knowing ahead what im gunna eat and the calorie content....
  • Mom2QJandT
    Mom2QJandT Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat the same lunch and I eat the same three breakfasts in some rotation. I have my lunch saved as a meal called (so creatively) "usual work lunch". I find that if I don't have to make a lot of choices, then I'm less likely to make poor ones. Additionally, our family has a dinner rotation of:

Monday - Grilled chicken salads
    Tuesday - Taco night
    Wednesday - Pasta night (which varies between about three pasta dishes)
    Thursday - Crock pot dinner (which varies between about four different choices)
    Friday - Pizza
    Saturday and Sunday we usually have something from the grill

My husband is also on MFP, so having a plan that he knows is important so that he knows in advance what we are eating so that if his day varies for some reason, he knows how to plan. So far it's working for us!
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast, lunch and snacks the same almost daily. Or at least close to the same. Dinner I at least make my weekly plans but I still keep it pretty simple. It keeps me on track because I know roughly how many calories I'm getting and what I'll "have room" for when planning my weekly dinners. A good side effect too is that it keeps my grocery budget pretty consistent and I've been able to actually cut down on it once I realised how many extras I didn't actually need.
  • cassienoe
    cassienoe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I pretty much will eat the same thing throughout the week. I make a casserole type dish for dinner because it is quick and easy to heat up when I get home from night school at 8-9pm. It is also cheaper! And breakfast is usually the same thing throughout the week and same with lunch. Mainly I do it for cost savings but it makes it easy to know have to put much thought into how many calories you will be eating when you eat the same thing over and over. Then the next week comes and I make my adjustments and go from there!
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I eat the same breakfast and lunch almost every day. On weekends I tend to be more spontaneous. It is easy for me, in the sense that I don't have to think about what I'm going to eat for those meals. It's automatic.

For breakfast I usually have fruit and cottage cheese or yogurt, and for lunch grilled breast with black beans and salsa. Then I have most of my calories left for dinner and can enjoy what the rest of my family is eating.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I kind of eat the same foods every day... I switch it up a bit though with the help of a dietitian. My dietitian told me to eat between 5-7 veggie servings a day, 2 fruit servings, 2 dairy servings and 3 meats. We eat chicken, turkey and fish a lot... lean red meat only once or twice a week.

I always have:

Breakfast:

1 egg in the morning but I switch it up... sometimes fried sometimes scrambled sometimes boiled.
    1 Slice Silver Hills Little Big Bread
    1 cup of Fruit

Snack:

1 Serving of Dairy (cottage cheese mostly)

Lunch:

Salad (1 cup of leaves -romaine, spinage, etc.)
    (1Cup of a different veggies)
    And then I switch up salad dressings.

1 Protein Group (Sometimes I add half a cup of chicken, canned tuna or canned/leftover salmon to my salad)
    1 Grain Group (If I have 2 rivera crackers I add 1tbsp of peanut butter for my protein instead of adding the above, if not I will take a piece of Little Big Bread, or sometimes I will toast the bread and add put peanut butter on it)

Snack

1 Serving of Dairy (Yogurt sometimes) or a cup of milk, depending if I am hungry

Dinner:

I meat (fish, lean red meat, turkey, chicken breast)
    1 cup of Veggies (Steamed)
    1/2 cup of a carb (steamed rice, pasta) or 1 slice of bread

If I didn't have dairy for a snack the day we have pasta I add 1/4 cup or cheese and if I have had all my dairy for the day I add 1/4 cup of crushed tomatoes to my pasta)

1 serving of Fruit = 1/2 cup
    1 Serving of Veggies = 1/2 cup or 1 cup of Leafy Veggies
    Dairy = 1 cup of milk or 1/2 cup cottage cheese
    Meat & Alternatives = 1/2 cup or 4 oz of fish, chicken, turkey red meat
    1tbsp peanut butter

If you have whole grains during the day it is safe to have white pasta/rice at night.
    When cooking my meat I switch up spice and ways of cooking (BBQ, Fry, bake)

Hope this helps.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    For breakfast and lunch I have a limited of 'go to' things but I have variety at dinner. I couldn't eat the same thing every day. Boring!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bulk cooking- which works for extremely busy people- lends itself to repetitive meals.

So if you find yoruself short on time- just cook two meals on Sunday- and one on Wednesday.

Cook an egg monster (I don't like them) or do like a 12 egg scrambled thing (I make scrambled eggs with **** in them- sausage/my favorite veggies) easier than an omlette- I have same tupperwears- tare the scale with the thing on there- and just measure it all out into containers- about 5-6 oz worth. easy peasy lemon squeezy. :D
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I usually will have 4 different breakfast choices that I like: Weight Watchers Smart Breakfast Wraps, Buttermilk Biscuit with Strawberry Preserves and a hard boiled egg or chicken sausage stuffed with artichokes, mozzarella and spinach on the side, or Kashi Black Currant cereal with milk, or Oatmeal with fresh berries, milk, coconut oil, sugar, and cinnamon with an egg on the side or chicken sausage.

Lunch is usually different from various choices depending on my taste buds, and dinner is usually different as well, although I will eat on something for several days before freezing it and making something else. I get bored real easily, so dinner and lunch change up a lot, and snacks are usually 4 different variety of choices of items that I really like.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I have a routine but I do like to change things every now and then. My breakfasts will be one of two different meals. Lunch is almost always a lean meat with steamed vegetables. Dinner is the variable as I have that with my wife and I can't expect her to eat the same thing every day.
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I do but perhaps it's because I live on my own. For example the other day I bought celery, cottage cheese, kiwi fruits, apples,grapefruit, tomatoes, brown bread, pre-packed turkey steaks (4 or 5) and a couple of venison steaks. I've been eating the same perishables for a couple of days. alternating between turkey and venison for dinner (I may freeze some of the turkey and the bread).

I'll go shopping perhaps tomorow and get different things
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Before eating supper, I add the meal then complete the day's diary. It's just a head game I play with myself, but helps keep me from going for seconds and out of the kitchen later in the night.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I do this a lot, and it os partly because we eat out A Lot. It is easier to find one or two "Diet Friendly" items on the menu and stick to them. If you do make modifications (No Cheese, Sauce on the side, Veggies instead of Fries, etc) the Staff learns quickly and will adapt to what you want.
    Even when I pack a Lunch for work, I frequently pack the same things. Easier, Fewer Decisions, and Easy Tracking, LOL!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I normally eat the same snacks, lunches, and breakfasts...I have a set of 3 or 4 different ones that I use interchangeably though. That way I still get variety without breaking the bank. I do it more for the convenience.

I do this too. I have sets of meals that I switch around so I don't get too bored. My fiance & I cook a huge variety on the weekend and usually dine out once, so I get lots more different stuff that way.

Mon-Fri though, I switch it up between several main choices. For example, these are in heavy rotation currently:

Frequent Breakfasts:
    veggie omelet and coffee
    Greek yogurt with fruit or nuts and Earl Grey tea
    egg taco with spinach and coffee
    toast, boiled egg and fruit smoothie (just melon or berries, ice, and a splash of milk)

Frequent Lunches/Dinners:
    black bean or chickpea burger on a bed of cabbage and sweet potato fries
    the same veg burger, on a Sandwich Skinny with lettuce, onion, and sugar free jello w/ fruit
    sauteed mushrooms, onions & peppers with a bit of shredded cheese & Sriracha
    French toast made with sugar free syrup and a smear of natural peanut butter
    nachos with crabmeat or beans, green onions, cheddar, and salsa (broiled, with about 12 tortilla chips)
    veggie dumplings, minced garlic & bok choy steamed with sesame-soy sauce drizzled over the top
    TVP tacos
    4 oz salmon, couscous & steamed broccoli (this is very low cal, so usually a go to on nights I know I'm going to have a treat/chocolate!)
  • irishscootz
    Options
    I totally do this. I usually go with the same Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner for the majority of the week. So far I haven't gotten tired of it yet! (fingers crossed)
  • 08kat
    08kat Posts: 51
    Options
    I tend to eat the same breakfast and lunch. It takes some of the guesswork out of logging food. I am currently obsessed with broccoli slaw with a little cucumber ranch dressing and boneless skinless chicken breast pieces. Normally have Atkins bar or shake for breakfast.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    525 days in a row so far of the same foods. Works for me cause I don't have a whole lot of money to buy separate meals (I buy bulk) and it just makes it easier to cook. I'm not bored with it at all & in fact find iit nice that I can rely on it being perfect each time. It's not hard to do for me...when I was a fattie I did the same thing...ate the same foods every day.... just the wrong foods
  • tomdrinkard
    tomdrinkard Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Same foods for lunch and dinner, with dinner either tuna steak or salmon with brown rice and steamed veggies.
    Lunch is usually the same salad.
    Breakfast is various fruits and also rather repetitive.

Works for me, as it is inexpensive, easy to pre-log and convenient.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat the same food for each meal fairly consistently. It allows for predictive results and bulk shopping. Been doing this for a couple years or more now.