You can't "boost your metabolism."?!?!?!

Options
Ever since I can remember I have heard that if you eat less but more often, you can increase your metabolism and by increasing metabolism, lose weight faster.

Just five minutes ago I read that this is not true??? What happened here? Has everyone been wrong? My mind is blown...

This is a link to where I saw the info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/841305-corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Sidesteel is right. He's done the research and can back up his statements.

Meal timing is about personal preference. Eat when it works for you.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Sidesteel is right. He's done the research and can back up his statements.

Meal timing is about personal preference. Eat when it works for you.

Pretty much this. Eat when you're hungry. Don't if you're not.
    Start here:
    1) Eat within a reasonable caloric intake for your goals.
    2) Consume adequate protein and fat.
    3) Consume at least enough carbs to allow you to train with intensity.

(And can you just use some common sense with food selection?)

4) Lift weights
    5) Get rest.
    6) Repeat
    7) And quit worrying about all the other crap.

I've been sooo guilty of making it a LOT more complicated. Doesn't seem to work any better. Live and learn, right? :blushing:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You can boost your metabolism with exercise.

You can't boost it with specific foods or meal timing, at least not enough to make any kind of difference.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Ah what a relief. Ive just read a tonne of articles that claim this and it might be difficult for me to achieve so Im glad to I can just stick to my calorie watching and eat when Im hungry!
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Want to boost your metabolism? Make the engine bigger... by lifting weights.
  • ForumLurker
    Options
    I eat 2 meals a day that are big and satisfy me and 1 snack in the evening.

Little s**t 5-6 meals-a-day just never did it for me, they only lead to me obsessing over food and looking at the clock obsessively, "when's the next meal time?! I'm starving!"
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    As I understand it lean body mass 'costs' more to maintain calorie-wise, so by losing FAT rather than just scale weight you will boost your metabolism (or at least keep it the same, even as you get smaller). I have lost 34lbs and I still eat the same amount of calories I did when I started. I started lifting heavy and watching my protein intake. I have gone down in bf% but NOT in lean body mass.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Increasing muscle will increase metabolic capacity, decreasing muscle will decrease metabolic capacity, and eating zero food for a period of 3 days or longer has the potential to slow your metabolism. Other than that, meal timing and meal frequency are irrelevant to your metabolism.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Lets say you've not managed to commit to the gym yet ( ahem ) would drinking protein shakes like " For Goodness Shakes " for example help at all?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Lets say you've not managed to commit to the gym yet ( ahem ) would drinking protein shakes like " For Goodness Shakes " for example help at all?

Protein shakes are not magic, for the most part they are powder derived from the protein in cow's milk. They are a good option if you can't eat enough solid protein to hit your protein macro, but they are not necessary. Protein will not help you lose weight, it will help you preserve muscle while losing fat, and it will help you build muscle while eating at a surplus. The other advantage of protein is that it is satiating so it keeps you fuller compared to carbs.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    If you aren't working out, you just need to make sure you are eating at a deficit, drinking shakes instead of eating real food won't really make a difference, except you might be more hungry because you're eating less volume. Just make sure you hit healthy macros (for you) and you'll be fine.