Anyone out there with Crohn's Disease?

Options
Hi fellow Crohnies,
People often assume that because we have Crohn's that we should also be stick thin. Well, many many people with controlled Crohn's Disease are overweight. Why? Well, usually when we have a flare we don't want to eat. Eating = pain. So, after a point our bodies go into starvation mode. Once we are feeling better and start eating again, the calories add those pounds back on and quick. Plus, many of our meds cause weight gain. Because our metabolism is lowered it is difficult to lose weight. Because we often cannot eat a lot of fibrous foods, it is hard to lose the weight.

That's not really what this post is about, though. I was hoping that others who are also trying to lose some weight could be supportive to each other, especially considering that we cannot usually eat what most others can. I would love to share recipes and just generally be there for each other.

BTW, I was diagnosed at 19 in 1994. I have been in medically induced remission for several years and, for the most part, have been feeling pretty good. No surgeries for me yet. On Azathioprine. I am married with 3 kids.

Would love to hear from you/friend you!

Laurie

Replies

• allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have it, I've been up to 9 pills a day (asacol), but decided after my last clean colonoscopy to try and do it without drugs. I was found as a match or someone that needed a bone marrow transplant, and they denied me because of my diagnosis. It absolutely broke my heart not to be able to save someone's life because of this crazy disease. So,I'm trying to only medicate when necessary- it's working ok so far. I do feel, though, that I'm bloated all the time and wonder if it contributes?
  • stfhorgan
    Options
    Hi Laurie-
    Thanks for bringing up SUCH a valid topic! So many people with IBD are malnutritioned so there is a stereotype about having it and being stick thin. Similar to you, I struggle keeping weight off, especially when symptoms keep me from exercising and I am unable to eat fresh produce (has to be blended or cooked). I just joined Weight Watchers so I'm not on MyFitnessPal much, but I would love to be apart of an encouraging community of IBDers trying to lose weight!
    Thanks,
    Stephanie
  • misslaurie75
    misslaurie75 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How are my crohnie's doing today?
  • ChristieJP
    ChristieJP Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey - I am 38 and was just recently diagnosed with Crohn's. I have chosen to work on managing this without prescription drugs for the time being, so I'm not on steroids.

I am not one of the superskinny Crohnies. I am of average weight (135 at 5'5") and haven't ever been overweight, but I am about 10 pounds above my personal ideal weight. The difficult digestive days come and go as I am figuring out this illness . . . and sometimes I feel very hungry. I am not very active lately, due to fatigue, so I have set my calories to 1500 per day. It seems when the disease is more active, I feel VERY hungry all day, and yet I am not taking lots of trips to the bathroom or anything. I have lost a very few pounds over the last few months (3-4) at about a half a pound every two or three weeks.

I understand that inflammation, fatigue, and lack of appropriate nutrients can cause hunger, but I don't get why I haven't actually lost weight. Should I ease up on the calories while I am coming to terms with this illness and getting used to eating differently? Should I eat more on those days when I feel extremely hungry? Or should I do my best to keep within the calorie limit I have been using?

How is it working for the rest of you to work on slimming down while dealing with Crohn's at the same time?

So glad you started this thread so we can share experiences, even if there aren't many of us!

-Christie
  • Dianakrugle
    Dianakrugle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi I started with fitnesspal about 5 days ago but a year and a half ago I was diagnosed with ibs after having my gallbladder taken out. I was so deathly sick for 9 months that I dropped about 100 lbs. I have had to change my diet 100% to keep the symptoms at bay. I am not on any medication for the ibs and have learned to pay close attention to what I eat, how often, and how much. I know become full on so much less and only have trouble sometimes with getting in enough calories because I burn off alot at work. I would share what I eat with anyone interested. I am no doctor just personal experience and as everyone knows well not everything work the same for anyone with this disease it is so individualized. No two people are the same. I will let you know how I continue to do. Good luck everybody you can do it.
  • CelticHippo
    CelticHippo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hello

So, I thought I would make a post and say hello. Although I have been around and about on MFP for several year, however within the last two weeks I have been diagnosed with Crohn's. I am still trying to get my head around it and find information. Currently I am on medication for treating the condition while waiting for an appointment with a consultant for how I go forward with Crohns.

The only thing I have decided is to use MFP to help me monitor my diet...so for me its a day at at time and see how life goes on