5lbs. Weight Fluctuations Question...

Ok, so my scale at home isn't a digital scale, but one of those simple mechanical bathroom scales...

Anyways, I lost 5lbs. about 1.5 weeks ago to 165lbs., but then in next few days it jumped back up 5lbs. to 170lbs.

This morning (1.5 weeks later), I get on the scale and I have lost those 5lbs. again.

I understand that there are daily weight fluctuations, but I didn't know there are weekly 5lbs. fluctuations as well...so is this normal?

For 30 days, I've been eating the same, exercising the same (twice weekly, about 75mins total of circuit, cardio and zumba fitness). My daily caloric goal is 1200, although I usually end up between 1500-2200/day and sometimes a bit more during work out days.

I feel like I get my hopes up doing weekly weigh-ins and those 5lbs. just keep going up and down....back and around...

Replies

• mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    Are you weighing yourself at the same time each weigh in? Are you fasted every time? Most people say do it in the morning as soon as you get up. Don't even drink water or coffee, just hit the scale in your undies.
  • Yes, I weigh-in in the mornings and not wearing heavy clothing/slippers, etc., no food, just after using the washroom :))
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    There's many possibilities, but here's my pitfall: Whenever I'm "gaining", turns out I'm over my daily goal for sodium... so it's water retention. Also, don't just focus on the weight, measure instead!
  • thank you for sharing your experience...i do over do it with sodium....sometimes double the goal amount...i'll keep an eye on that too.
  • krystlestar00
    krystlestar00 Posts: 36 Member
    a digital scale would be worth getting especially if you are serious about losing weight and getting healthy. i got a Taylor 7506 Glass Lithium Digital Scale 25$ on amazon. it goes by .2 lbs so way more accurate and digital is just more accurate. i had a non digital food scale i used to save money and i would weigh something three times and get three different readings so i got a digital food scale which has been so much easier in determining exactly how much food i'm eating. same kinda thing with digital bathroom scale. do you want to keep stressing about 5 lbs that keeps fluctuating which could be the scale not reading correctly?