judgement in the shopping line at walmart

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Do you know them? Are they important to you? No? Cool. Then stop letting strangers upset you. You got way more important things to be worrying and stressing about than two people who decided to giggle over stuff in your cart.

Let. It. Go.
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    my go to response is to pretend my middle finger is a rocket ship preparing to launch.

who cares, its just wal-mart folk.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Next time as they are laughing ask them "what the **** is so funny?!?"
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will be happy with any responses that don't agree that the girl wasn't judging you by her "apparent actions". You clearly made assumptions based on being insecure we all do it. Pay less attention to people and more attention to the things your putting into your cart..If your 100% OK with your food choice ......then you wouldnt feel as if people were looking over your shoulder. Even at my heaviest when I was buying doritoz I never felt that way.......Just advice...try to change the way your thinking....
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Meh, let 'em judge. Are you going to let it ruin your day?

As a former smoker, I can't take the high road, and we all do something that's not really wise, whether it be smoking, drinking, recreational drugs, eating...whatever.

Again, don't let it ruin your day.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I admit I once had a very hard time stiffling a laugh when I saw someone's cart full of Hot Pockets and Toilet Paper. I'd just seen Jim Gaffigan's stand-up act. It had nothing to do with the people pushing the cart.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    last time this happened to me, I grabbed the bag of doritos that was sitting there at check out and started eating them. Then I looked them dead straight in the eye and said, dont be jealous. The laughing smile left their face pretty quickly.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    I have no problem shopping at walmart, they are cheap and just a short drive for me.

either saturday or sunday i go and fill my cart up with
    lettuce, broccoli, 2 boxes of Cascadian Farms cereal, milk, fat free yogurt, one marketside stuffed crust pizza for sunday night with my room mate, kraft mexican shredded cheese, chicken, turkey and probably a 2 liter or diet coke

I would also like to point out that there are twins on this site

23245027_3441_thumb.jpg
    44235838_6322_thumb.jpg
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    We live in a society that judges on everything, so it's best to ignore people who judge.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Did you stop and make sure that you didn't have a piece of food stuck in your teeth? Maybe they did look in the cart and remembered getting food poisoning from one of the meals you chose. The truth is you don't know what they were thinking. You can guess, but why spend time tying yourself in knots? Besides, I'm always happy on a trip to Walmart if I don't see anything worthy of posting on peopleofwalmart.com and no meth addicts decide to chat me up.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Ugh, judgey people suck. People will always find a reason to judge you. Their opinions aren't worth your time :happy:
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have no problem shopping at walmart, they are cheap and just a short drive for me.

either saturday or sunday i go and fill my cart up with
    lettuce, broccoli, 2 boxes of Cascadian Farms cereal, milk, fat free yogurt, one marketside stuffed crust pizza for sunday night with my room mate, kraft mexican shredded cheese, chicken, turkey and probably a 2 liter or diet coke

I would also like to point out that there are twins on this site

23245027_3441_thumb.jpg
    44235838_6322_thumb.jpg

lol thats the first time someones posted my pic on a forum :laugh:
  • tripledipped13
    tripledipped13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I like to stare right back at someone when they're staring at me... I drove through the semi-truck loading lane at WalMart last week to get from a back street to the WalMart parking lot. This snobby older lady in the passenger seat of a nice convertible was staring at me like I was satan. She wasn't even driving. And my detour made absolutely no impact on their route. So, I made a very obvious stare right back at her and waited until she looked away. People can be such *kitten* sometimes. Next time, stare right back and hold eye contact until she looks away. It always makes me feel better. =)

^^^^^ THIS!!! It is AMAZING how often people stare at me for some reason or another (maybe for having processed foods, sugar, little Debbie cakes in my cart AT Wal-Mart LOL) (not really but you smiled when you read it) Anyway, the majority of the time when I make direct eye contact with them and hold it, they look away. Most people are NOT very confident when it comes to having someone stare them right in the eyes....I was told once by a teacher in high school that if you hold eye contact with someone they know that they have your attention.....then I was told in college that I intimidated my professor because I stared at him the entire time he was teaching LOL
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    last time this happened to me, I grabbed the bag of doritos that was sitting there at check out and started eating them. Then I looked them dead straight in the eye and said, dont be jealous. The laughing smile left their face pretty quickly.

Yeah, because you seem crazy and they didn't want to provoke you.

I should go shopping at Walmart just to see this stuff.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    How do you know they weren't laughing because they bought some of those meals, cooked them and it spilled all over the kitchen floor? or how do you know they weren't laughing because they like the commercials of the foods?

Sound silly?
    We cannot control other people, but we can control our own thoughts and behaviors. If it upset you that much, have a pity party for 15 minutes and move on. Life is too short to get upset about random people in public.

I have to agree with this. Last week I was in walmart with my bf. The lady behind us had big huge bags of potato chips in her cart. She also had a DVD of Despicable Me and an onion. My son can't say minions so he calls the characters in the movie "onions." I looked into her cart kinda casually and the movie and onion made me giggle because of the "onions" I also pointed it out to my bf and we laughed together. I really hope she didn't feel judged by our merriment.

And I'm sorry that YOU did. I hope you rise above it and don't worry so much about what others think of you. And I like frozen dinners on occasion just for the record.
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    So you have no idea what these two people were saying or thinking, but have lingering doubts about your meal choices and assumed other people were judging. Then you wanted to judge back because angry.

It's not a healthy approach to life. Do what you think is right and don't try to read minds.

You are so right!

LOL, do you think her cart might show up in a "People of WALMART" photo? That will give her something more to stress about...:wink:
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Everywhere you go, people are judging you- the same way you judge everyone your gaze lingers on for any length of time (whether you're conscious of it or not). It was incredibly rude of them to make it obvious that they were judging you, but they were gonna judge anyway, and there's nothing you can do about it. You can't let it bother you. It's out of your control, the same way you can't stop yourself from forming first impressions of people you meet, accurate or not. This is why the worst superpower in the world would be to hear other people's thoughts- because only then would you be faced with the number of times a day other people think unflattering or inaccurate things about you. You'd also hear the good things, but most of us don't give as much weight to the positive as we do to the negative.

I'm kind of judging you for shopping at WalMart in the first place, but you totally shouldn't care what I think.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I think you are making assumptions as to what they were laughing about. You cannot be sure what it was. I am thinking that you were judging them for being fit and feeling a little guilty about what was in your cart, making you think the worst.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I have learned in life is.... It's none of our business what other people think of us! Their actions and opinions don't define us. We are the ones that make the choices and decisions for our own life's. By doing so, we define who we are. Their opinions are formed from their own jealous opinions! Don't let it affect your mood since it doesn't affect you!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I wonder what people think when my GF and I, both of whom are fit and at healthy weights, are in line at Walmart holding pints of ice cream and boxes of Pop-tarts. I imagine the fatties think we have fast metabolisms and are naturally fit and toned, or something.