running in the heat

Options
I've got a race tomorrow and it's supposed to be hella hot. Any tips on how to not pass the hell out? I know to pre-hydrate and continue to hydrate. What else?

Replies

• leanmeanrunningmachine
    Options
    Start at slower than normal pace and make the last mile the fastest.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Wear a hat, just keeping the sun off your head makes things much more comfortable.

What distance are you racing?
  • ced1389
    ced1389 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ohhh IN! so not used to running in heat & it's supposed to be 90 for my hilly 5k this saturday! advice, other than being practically naked?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    best of luck to ya,
    its brutal here!
  • emcwilli
    emcwilli Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ohhh IN! so not used to running in heat & it's supposed to be 90 for my hilly 5k this saturday! advice, other than being practically naked?

same boat! Mine is just a 5k too but I am not used to running in weather like this.
  • emcwilli
    Options
    best of luck to ya,
    its brutal here!

thanks much! summer in Boston is normally not so bad, but it's been super hot lately.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Might want to consider wearing a super tight shirt to wear so it can trap the sweat!
  • pdawnfloyd
    pdawnfloyd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a 1/2 marathon, Labor Day weekend and the heat here has been killing me and some days I just can't run, the heat index just makes it not safe and I cannot run on a treadmill. So since it looks like I'll be dealing with the heat until the 1/2 I ordered a cooling vest, should be here tomorrow, looking forward to trying it out.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to start out slower than you had planned, especially if you haven't been training in the heat. Also, make use of the water stops. You might not need to drink but definitely take a cup and pour it over your head!

If it's a short-ish race, you can carry a small ice pack in your hand to keep cool. They make specialized ones for this purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/Point-Reusable-Stay-Cool-Technology-Endurance/dp/B007MJSVFI
  • Shellster831
    Shellster831 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd wear a visor not a hat, the visor allows the heat to escape through your head instead of a hat trapping it in. The less clothes the better so your muscles can breath. I did a run yesterday in the peek heat of 100 degrees I swear, and dangit if I felt like crap. I got home and just ran the hose over my wrist and bare feet to cool off. It sucks.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I agree start out slow and make the last mile the fastest. I ran 2 miles yesterday at 5pm in 90. I was sweating like a hog and about half way home wanted to call my husband to pick me up but I just knocked back the pace a little so I could recover a bit and it was better.

I have a race this weekend as well but it's a mud run so I'll cool down in the mud pits I guess! LOL! Goood luck at your race!
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Seems to be hot all over these days..clothing that allows to moisture to pull away from your body for sure..obviously hydrate as much as possible..I tend to keep runs to early morning or late evening in the heat. Will also trail run since the forest acts as a sheild from heat and humidity.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It's odd that no one posted that WATER is extremely important during hot runs. I run in the midday heat and hydrate TONS. I would up your water intake about an hour pre-run and refuel with electrolyte-water post-run. Good luck and have fun!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Related question: Is it cooler to go shirtless, or to wear a moisture wicking sleeveless shirt, or wear a regular sleeveless shirt, or wear a moisture-wicking shirt with regular short sleeves? It's so hot I'm willing to go shirtless if it's indeed cooler.
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I find shirtless the coolest way to go comfort wise ..just have to worry about sun burn
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Related question: Is it cooler to go shirtless, or to wear a moisture wicking sleeveless shirt, or wear a regular sleeveless shirt, or wear a moisture-wicking shirt with regular short sleeves? It's so hot I'm willing to go shirtless if it's indeed cooler.

My brother occasionally runs with me and I've seen him wear a tight long sleeve shirt in the heat. Surprisingly he told me he feels cool wearing that (of course, he gets sunburn more easier than me).
  • emcwilli
    Options
    Thanks for all of your advice! I am curious about the products like the cooling vest and ice packs - I haven't tried anything like that before but would be glad to hear about people's experiences w/them. Thanks again!
  • emcwilli
    Options

My brother occasionally runs with me and I've seen him wear a tight long sleeve shirt in the heat. Surprisingly he told me he feels cool wearing that (of course, he gets sunburn more easier than me).

I've seen ads for "arm coolers" that are supposed to help you keep cool, but it does feel counterintuitive. Anyone have experience w/these?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Wear a hat, just keeping the sun off your head makes things much more comfortable.

What distance are you racing?

I hope you mean a hat as in tech visor - your lose most of your body heat through your head and a hat will trap it and cause quicker internal buildup of heat. In the winter, yes, great idea.

I prefer no shirt, no hat/visor, and some sunscreen all over.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If its hot outside then you are going to be hot. There is absolutely nothing you can do to stay cool other than not run.

You can acclimate to the heat to lower the overall stress of running in the heat but that takes at least two weeks of running in the heat.

Even then, you will still be hot and uncomfortable.