Emotional Eating

Options
nabarnes
nabarnes Posts: 17 Member
How do you guys avoid emotional eating? I realized I tend to eat more when I'm stressed or upset and I would like to get it under control before I go back to school this fall, which is when I tend to put back on the weight I've lost every summer.

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Don't get stressed or upset.
  • chai_masala
    chai_masala Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You just have to recognize it when you're doing it and stop. As I get older I realize there's no other way to stop mental habits than to just stop.
  • SarLem81
    SarLem81 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It's still something I struggle with, but I force myself to get in a good workout because I always feel better after. And I chug water when that workout is done.
  • nabarnes
    Options
    Don't get stressed or upset.

Impossible as a 3rd year accounting major.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    i am still struggling with that. I find that if I stop and think about the situation at hand... I ask myself, is this worth ruining my hard work over.... that usually helps me.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I chew gum instead.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Let go of the things you can't control and make a plan for the things you can. Writing down the things you're stressing about and giving yourself permission to not worry about the things you really can't do anything about helps relieve some of the stress immediately. The act of planning how you will address the things you can do something about has a calming affect plus just knowing what you're going to do about the problem takes the stress away!

I also have other activities I turn to such as piano, taking a walk, researching recipes (instead of cooking them), playing with the dog, etc.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I try to go for a walk when I feel my stress trigger go off. I will stop for a few minutes and walk around the building outside of work. I know its not always easy to stop what you are doing when you are working or getting through life, but I know distraction works for me.
  • femmefae
    femmefae Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I had an incident last night where I was given some news that really upset me...but instead of letting the stress take over, I ran until I forgot about it/cleared my head :)
  • favhrnstr
    favhrnstr Posts: 55
    Options
    In addition to all the good the "distract yourself" advice above:

I have found that logging calories has helped with this. When I mess up, I see it and at least am aware of "wow, I ate that because of stress?" Or I go to log a snack I want to eat and realize that it's not worth skipping dinner. (And I'm a third-year student in vet school, so trust me, stress happens!)
  • jilly1130
    jilly1130 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Emotional eating is a real issue for me too, so I really understand where you are coming from. In addition to the great advice above, I find that if I make myself really busy, the craving will go away. But it is so much harder said than done. I literally have a conversation in my head reminding myself that the craving and the urge to eat (and usually it is something unhealthy that I will crave) will pass if I give it a few minutes. I make an agreement with myself that I am going to wait 15 minutes before I even consider opening my mouth to put something in it that I will regret. Again, usually the craving passes and at the worst, I am able to think more clearly about whether I want to make the decision to eat. I also will log onto MFP and read these forums -- it really helps.

I really agree with the person who recommended that you log everything. I too, am finding that if I log everything I eat, even the things I overeat, it gives me a much better perspective of just how many calories that treat really was. With this knowledge I can make better decisions in the future as to whether it is worth it or not. It is a matter of recognizing and accepting the number of calories you want to eat everyday and managing those calories in the best way possible. If you want to eat because you are feeling emotional, log it as the day progresses so that you can make adjustments to fit it into your calorie allotment.

Best of luck to you.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Like other(s) earlier in this thread, I find an ideal to deal with stress is to drag my butt into the gym at the end of the day. During work, I am currently commuting with a combination of biking and a public train system. At mid-day during a difficult day I sometimes try to leave my desk, get the bike out of the secure shed they supply for us, and take a bike ride. (Fortunately we're about a mile from a parkway with a bike trail along a river)

If you can't get to the gym, go take a long walk around the neighborhood to help relax the brain and soul.
  • nabarnes
    Options
    Thanks guys. Does anyone have any suggestions, more specifically for someone in the college environment? My main concern is not undoing the progress I made this summer when I get back to school.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Is it possible for you to pre-log your food? If I want something that might be iffy, I will log it first to see what the damage would be and then decide yes or no or maybe I'll eat Z instead of X. I find it very helpful to feel like I control my food instead of my emotions controlling me.

If it's a stress snacking situation like while studying, then a big bowl of popcorn or plate of veggies with a reasonable dip can go a long way. Or taking a 10 minute break to breathe some fresh air outside. Regular exercise and adequate sleep are great defenses against some kinds of hormonal based hunger.

One thing I changed when I started back in January was that I decided I will no longer eat my emotions, and strangely enough, it's worked. I've had a few situations where I let someone have it (deserved, but in the past I probably wouldn't have said anything and eaten something instead) and I've had to deal with one major life stressor (accident and later death of my mother) but it is just what I do (or not do) now.

One important thing is to be able to recognize when you are having the inkling to eat your emotions (a plot may be hatched subconsciously many hours in advance), and recognize your feelings and accept them without trying to sedate them with food.
  • nabarnes
    Options
    Is it possible for you to pre-log your food? If I want something that might be iffy, I will log it first to see what the damage would be and then decide yes or no or maybe I'll eat Z instead of X. I find it very helpful to feel like I control my food instead of my emotions controlling me.

If it's a stress snacking situation like while studying, then a big bowl of popcorn or plate of veggies with a reasonable dip can go a long way. Or taking a 10 minute break to breathe some fresh air outside. Regular exercise and adequate sleep are great defenses against some kinds of hormonal based hunger.

One thing I changed when I started back in January was that I decided I will no longer eat my emotions, and strangely enough, it's worked. I've had a few situations where I let someone have it (deserved, but in the past I probably wouldn't have said anything and eaten something instead) and I've had to deal with one major life stressor (accident and later death of my mother) but it is just what I do (or not do) now.

One important thing is to be able to recognize when you are having the inkling to eat your emotions (a plot may be hatched subconsciously many hours in advance), and recognize your feelings and accept them without trying to sedate them with food.

That's a really great suggestion. I do pre-log sometimes, but I don't ever think about it as a regular prevention mechanism for avoiding emotional eating. Thank you!!
  • favhrnstr
    favhrnstr Posts: 55
    Options
    Regular exercise and adequate sleep are great defenses against some kinds of hormonal based hunger.

THIS! Over the past year, I have had tons of classmates just gawk at how I've been able to find time to work out 6 days a week with our crazy schedule. Others are shocked when they find out I get at least 7 hours of sleep a night and very rare stay up late to study (and even then it's NEVER past midnight). Not only does sleep and exercise keep the munchies away, but you'll feel better and perform better intellectually! Make them priorities!

When I was an undergrad, late night binges were my weakness. Keeping yourself stocked with healthy snacks will help this, but when your friends want to go out, don't just ignore them. Continuing to log your food will help you make healthier choices, or at least eat less, on those late-night pizza/hoagie runs. And when your friends see the progress you've made, they will hopefully be supportive and not try to pressure you.

(Also, beware of alcohol. Not only does it have calories, but most of us lose track of how much we're eating when we drink. Or we end up craving cheese fries...)
  • LaurieLoz
    LaurieLoz Posts: 9
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer. I had a horrible day yesterday and when I got home from work a bar of chocolate and half a tub of Ben and jerrys had disappeared before I knew it. The best thing I have found though is keep busy and surround yourself with people. If you're always with someone you won't want to binge infront of them!
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater and although it's true that reg exercise, good sleep are the best defense; an emotional eater will still struggle while we are breaking those habits (I just speak from experience). When I feel the cravings creep up (stress related or otherwise) I just drink an 8oz glass of water and sit quietly and take 10 deep breaths. Then I wait 10 minutes; if I still feel hungry I might have a snack, but most often I realize that I am not really hungry and just work through that craving.......

Of course this is just what I do and what works for me; I wish you the best of luck!!
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I usually read a book, take a walk, or give in to the craving. But I only keep healthy snacks in my house and i keep them with me at work and in my purse as well. If I'm stressed I turn to almonds or other nuts, beef jerky, string cheese, etc and have ONE of those with a bottle of water or a diet pop. Occassionally i Indulge in sugar free chocolates. I've found if I avoid the stress too much, I take it out on my family.
  • hikunkel
    hikunkel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As an emotional eater myself, I would strongly recommend getting rid of any trigger foods...that is what helps me the most. Also, if you have to have a "trigger," make sure you premeasure/count the servings of whatever it is you're having. One of my favorite binge foods is trail mix (not the stuff with just dried fruit and raisins, either!). Right now, I have banned it from my house, but if I have to have it, I measure a serving (usually a 1/4 cup) and eat just that. It is amazing at how little a 1/4 cup really is!!! Sometimes just seeing how little I get for a lot of calories helps me. I also pray for strength and that helps me, too. GOOD LUCK!!