Concern: Coming off a Juice Fast

Options
Just wanted some advice...

I have recently completed a 5 day Juice Fast... purely to kick my terrible habits (I went cold turkey). Prior to that I was on a low carb diet. I have been reintroducing food for 4 days now and I am really scared that I am going to pile everything back on.

I have been following a semi vegetarian version of the atkins induction and have been eating approx 1100 calories with very low carb intake and I drink at least 2 ltrs of water a day. I feel heavier in myself, but am not due to weigh for a couple of days. I have used the ketostix and it says I am in Ketosis (I know they aren't reliable etc etc etc).

I walk a lot and now I have my energy back plan to hit the gym again as of tomorrow. What are your thoughts? Doe anybody know of a way I can continue to loose weight weekly?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You will gain some weight back as when you start to add carbs, you will add more glycogen/water. But 1100 calories is not enough for an active body. The only thing you can do is ensure you are in a calorie deficit.

BTW, how tall are you and work is your workout routine. And your weight is around 215 right?
  • keepitgoing86
    Options
    You will gain some weight back as when you start to add carbs, you will add more glycogen/water. But 1100 calories is not enough for an active body. The only thing you can do is ensure you are in a calorie deficit.

BTW, how tall are you and work is your workout routine. And your weight is around 215 right?

Thanks for your response!!

Great!! I'm 5ft 10.5 and yep unfortunately it is. According to MFP I should be consuming 1400, so I have reduced it slightly and I am consuming approx. 11-12 grams of carbs a day. I do 30 min cardio, 30 min cross trainer, leg weights, sit ups and crunches. I try to add in another hour walk during the evening, but this isn't every night recently.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Wow, just wow! What are you going to try next? Let me guess, a colonic or maybe some Dr Oz miracle pills .Oh I know, body wraps or maybe some shakes.

Why not quit fooling around with diets and just set a food calorie budget. Eat normal food, in proper amounts, and lose weight if you need to. There is no quick fix and it is in no way healthy to do what you are doing.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Doe anybody know of a way I can continue to loose weight weekly?

yea, eat in a deficit and work out more, less the ten day juice fasts....
  • LilithNoor
    LilithNoor Posts: 42
    Options
    Your body is likely to pack it all on at first, as it thinks it is starving and is hanging on to every calorie for grim death.

I would definitely up your calories to at least 1200, and if you are not eating back at least half your exercise calories, do so. You will lose weight much more easily if you are not battling against a metabolism that is in supersaver mode.
  • Kristendcampbell
    Kristendcampbell Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I was readying in another forum here the other day and sent the post to a friend in an email. I can't find the post to link you to, but I do have the post copied and will paste it here.

It seems this is new information for a lot of people and it could potentially relieve a lot of anxiety about weight gain when increasing calories. So for anyone who thinks, "But 1700 calories IS my maintenance amount!" Or, "I must just have a really slow metabolism because when I go over 1200 I gain." ... this post is for you.

The reason most people think they have to eat so little to maintain their weight is because our bodies naturally store glycogen and water in our muscles. This is the body's ready energy. When you eat at a caloric deficit, the glycogen stores (and the water molecules they must bind to in the cells) are shed first. That's why you get a big loss the first week of any diet. You just depleted your glycogen stores and now the body has no choice but to resort to fat in a continued caloric deficit.

So you keep up your deficit and your body is burning both glucose from the food you're eating and fat from your body (and some lean mass because you're in a deficit and that will just happen anyway) and you finally get to a weight you like. So you increase your calories to stop losing...

Or, you just decide to ditch the caloric deficit for a weekend of eating without discretion...

Or Christmas rolls around or you go on vacation and you eat to satisfaction and maybe a touch more...

... and you find you almost instantly put on 5 lbs.

All that has happened is your body has restored its glycogen stores and the water that glycogen must be stored with. In fact, trained endurance athletes will deliberately store extra glycogen by carb-loading before major events in order to have more energy for sustained effort. The body will, under perfect conditions, store this energy for use. It's part of being human.

So suppose you want to maintain your weight at 125 lbs. You diet down to 125 and then think, "Awesome! I will diligently increase my calories to maintenance." So you were eating 1700 calories/day to lose and you increase to 2000 calories daily... and after 1 week you've put on 1.5 lbs... so you cut back down to 1800 and your weight stays the same but now you're at 126.5... but you want to be 125lbs, so now you're just pissed off. So you go back down to 1500 calories for a week and you get back down to 125lbs. Then you increase by only 100 calories/day for a week and your weight stays the same... so you do it again... and you stay the same. You think, "Yay! I'm maintaining!"... And any time you eat over 1800 calories daily you start to gain again.

Why?

Because your body just wants 5 lbs of glycogen stores. The solution? Cut down to 5 lbs under your target weight and then eat at maintenance. Your body will rebound up to a healthy non-glycogen-depleted state and you'll be able to maintain relatively effortlessly and eat more food.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I can understand doing a juice fast to get your mind on eating healthier foods. So don't sweat it. Just get on a sensible plan now. Start here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

And I can not emphasize enough, WEIGH your food, don't just guesstimate, and of course, eat ENOUGH food. And when you set a goal net calorie, eat to that number, not some ridiculous amount under it.
  • keepitgoing86
    Options
    Wow, just wow! What are you going to try next? Let me guess, a colonic or maybe some Dr Oz miracle pills .Oh I know, body wraps or maybe some shakes.

Why not quit fooling around with diets and just set a food calorie budget. Eat normal food, in proper amounts, and lose weight if you need to. There is no quick fix and it is in no way healthy to do what you are doing.

Thank you ever so much for your overwhelming support and kindness. How could I get through my day without your kind words! Please refrain from commenting on my posts in such a hostile manner, it is completely unnecessary. I would never tough diet pills, nothing is entering my bottom, shakes are manufactured and wraps are what you eat!

Hmmmm nope no thanks! The juice fast for me was to go cold turkey and kick my bad habits, which it did completely. When I set my mind to it I can be completely disciplined and I liked the structure of Atkins! I am not looking for quick fix I am looking to change my life!
  • keepitgoing86
    Options
    I can understand doing a juice fast to get your mind on eating healthier foods. So don't sweat it. Just get on a sensible plan now. Start here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

And I can not emphasize enough, WEIGH your food, don't just guesstimate, and of course, eat ENOUGH food. And when you set a goal net calorie, eat to that number, not some ridiculous amount under it.

Thanks for your response. I needed the psychological edge and control of the fast. I will check it out thanks, but I do feel like Atkins suits my food interests. I already do, I really wanted to hit it dead on. Ok, so you suggest if MFP tells me to eat 1400 that's what I should ensure I do? I'm not really use to counting calories, when I diet I normally do low carb and high proteins, so your advice on calories is really welcomed!
  • keepitgoing86
    Options
    Doe anybody know of a way I can continue to loose weight weekly?

yea, eat in a deficit and work out more, less the ten day juice fasts....

Thanks for your post. Ok, so when you say in a deficit I have worked out my BMR, which is approx. 2400 MFP states I should consume 1400... when you say in a deficit do you mean a deficit of BMR or MFP calories? Juice fast has gone it was for 5 days and that's that.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Thank you ever so much for your overwhelming support and kindness. How could I get through my day without your kind words! Please refrain from commenting on my posts in such a hostile manner, it is completely unnecessary. I would never tough diet pills, nothing is entering my bottom, shakes are manufactured and wraps are what you eat!

Hmmmm nope no thanks! The juice fast for me was to go cold turkey and kick my bad habits, which it did completely. When I set my mind to it I can be completely disciplined and I liked the structure of Atkins! I am not looking for quick fix I am looking to change my life!

It takes 3 weeks to change a behaviour pattern and with such a strong will there would be no reason to juice fast. However you want to look at it you are searching for the Holy Grail of weight loss.
  • keepitgoing86
    Options
    I was readying in another forum here the other day and sent the post to a friend in an email. I can't find the post to link you to, but I do have the post copied and will paste it here.

It seems this is new information for a lot of people and it could potentially relieve a lot of anxiety about weight gain when increasing calories. So for anyone who thinks, "But 1700 calories IS my maintenance amount!" Or, "I must just have a really slow metabolism because when I go over 1200 I gain." ... this post is for you.

The reason most people think they have to eat so little to maintain their weight is because our bodies naturally store glycogen and water in our muscles. This is the body's ready energy. When you eat at a caloric deficit, the glycogen stores (and the water molecules they must bind to in the cells) are shed first. That's why you get a big loss the first week of any diet. You just depleted your glycogen stores and now the body has no choice but to resort to fat in a continued caloric deficit.

So you keep up your deficit and your body is burning both glucose from the food you're eating and fat from your body (and some lean mass because you're in a deficit and that will just happen anyway) and you finally get to a weight you like. So you increase your calories to stop losing...

Or, you just decide to ditch the caloric deficit for a weekend of eating without discretion...

Or Christmas rolls around or you go on vacation and you eat to satisfaction and maybe a touch more...

... and you find you almost instantly put on 5 lbs.

All that has happened is your body has restored its glycogen stores and the water that glycogen must be stored with. In fact, trained endurance athletes will deliberately store extra glycogen by carb-loading before major events in order to have more energy for sustained effort. The body will, under perfect conditions, store this energy for use. It's part of being human.

So suppose you want to maintain your weight at 125 lbs. You diet down to 125 and then think, "Awesome! I will diligently increase my calories to maintenance." So you were eating 1700 calories/day to lose and you increase to 2000 calories daily... and after 1 week you've put on 1.5 lbs... so you cut back down to 1800 and your weight stays the same but now you're at 126.5... but you want to be 125lbs, so now you're just pissed off. So you go back down to 1500 calories for a week and you get back down to 125lbs. Then you increase by only 100 calories/day for a week and your weight stays the same... so you do it again... and you stay the same. You think, "Yay! I'm maintaining!"... And any time you eat over 1800 calories daily you start to gain again.

Why?

Because your body just wants 5 lbs of glycogen stores. The solution? Cut down to 5 lbs under your target weight and then eat at maintenance. Your body will rebound up to a healthy non-glycogen-depleted state and you'll be able to maintain relatively effortlessly and eat more food.

Thank you so much! This really clarifies it for me. Thanks for taking the time to search and post! It's really appreciated and the guidance on calories makes perfect sense.

In the mean time would you suggest I increase back up to 1400 as MFP states for me to eat, or monitor over time and increase my calories if slow progress and then decrease if I am maintaining. I get the body is in it's on rhythm and it can't work exactly how I have explained it, but a guide would be great.
  • keepitgoing86
    Options

It takes 3 weeks to change a behaviour pattern and with such a strong will there would be no reason to juice fast. However you want to look at it you are searching for the Holy Grail of weight loss.

Please refrain from spreading your negative energy! I am not deluded, I am not looking for a Holy Grail; I am looking for a life shift! Please don't judge when you have no idea who I am, what I think, what I do and what my will is like! Well I have managed to kick my behaviour pattern in 12 days so I guess I must be just an exceptional case from your exact science.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options

Great!! I'm 5ft 10.5 and yep unfortunately it is. According to MFP I should be consuming 1400, so I have reduced it slightly and I am consuming approx. 11-12 grams of carbs a day. I do 30 min cardio, 30 min cross trainer, leg weights, sit ups and crunches. I try to add in another hour walk during the evening, but this isn't every night recently.

Ok just asking, but why have you reduced it 300 cals BEYOND what MFP says to do? If you set your goals in MFP and said what you are hoping to lose, it calculates for you. Also, are you eating your work-out cals back? Is it possible you arent getting enough cals everyday? (reducing by 300 cals is not a slight reduction)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Juice fasts aren't supposed to be for weight loss, from what I've heard at least. You'll probably regain a decent amount of the weight that you lost on the fast because it was probably a lot of water weight. That's pretty normal.

Just continue on with a healthy diet and exercise and you'll keep losing.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about going on a juice fast, it just isn't healthy.
  • ladylaume
    ladylaume Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Replace one meal a day with A Juice thats what my husband does It really helps
  • keepitgoing86
    Options

Ok just asking, but why have you reduced it 300 cals BEYOND what MFP says to do? If you set your goals in MFP and said what you are hoping to lose, it calculates for you. Also, are you eating your work-out cals back? Is it possible you arent getting enough cals everyday? (reducing by 300 cals is not a slight reduction)

Thank you for your post. It's not deliberate consuming food on the Atkins is very filling and that's all I have managed thus far. Not yet as I am starting my workout again tomorrow! I have no idea that's why I need help. I don't want to eat too few calories, I'm just a bit confused with it all! And tbh some of these posts just make me want to not bother asking advice to solve the confusion! Not yours, yours is helpful.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options

The person may sound snarky, but you have to understand how deluded you sound saying that you just went liquid for ten days, then you eat BELOW what the MFP tells you to eat, etc. You are quite tall (Like me). There is NO way on earth your body can be happy with so few cals. Maybe just maybe people want you to succeed and have a funny way of trying to snap you out of it :)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with a short juice fast! However, you have a pretty large amount of weight to lose, which means to be successful, you need a reasonable, long term approach. It's one thing to crash diet down 10 pounds or so (still not healthy) but you can not lose and keep off 50+ pounds that way.

Like everyone else has said, try 1200 calories plus at least half your exercise calories. Stick with that, keep working out, you WILL get results and it will be healthy and sustainable! Weight loss takes a lot of time, so you need to be reasonable in your approach! I'm speaking from experience :flowerforyou: