Maybe YOU don't want to lose weight.....

Options
Put you so you'd open it. I know I'm a trickster, but I'm also a firm believer (aside from medical conditions) that if a person wants something - anything! bad enough they will do it.

I wanted to quit smoking. I did. It was easy for me 1.5 years ago because I WANTED it.

Years ago before I got married, I got into the best shape of my life and it took me 3 months.

Now I've been trying to lose the same 20 pounds for over a year. I keep gaining and losing the same 5. It's not activity, I work out quite a bit. It's the food. I ****ing love to eat. I love to eat ice cream, giant salads, bacon, fruit.. very rich expensive meals probably laced with butter. But then I get sad, and call myself a failure, and eat well for a few weeks, and then I think that clicks off and I indulge. But I think if I really WANTED it, it would have happened.

I am not looking for answers really, because I know it's just about wanting it bad enough. Just wanted to say out loud maybe I don't. And maybe that's why some others are stuck in weight loss plateaus.

Is this a captain obvious rant?

Replies

• mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Do you WANT it badly enough? lol You don't have to sacrifice what you like. Just manage it in you calorie allotment. Eat a bit less one meal to splurge a bit more on the other. :smile:
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 slices of bacon about 5 days a week as well as healthy amounts of butter. That's kinda beside the point but they aren't bad for you. The older you get the hard it will be to keep losing the same 20lbs. I started with cutting out candy, donuts, pizza, and other junk. After I conquered that I worked on cutting out other processed foods, many of which are loaded with junk ingredients.
  • vickygraboske
    Options
    I hear ya.
    I'm on the same rollercoaster.

I think it comes down to, what's going to motivate me when I'm WANTING that Alfredo sauce/chocolate candy/box of Cheezits ?
    I'm sure the answer is different for everybody, or maybe we have a list of answers. I dunno.

One thing I have NOT done before is this - have accountability partners who are doing the same thing - trying to lose weight.

--Vicky
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Put you so you'd open it. I know I'm a trickster, but I'm also a firm believer (aside from medical conditions) that if a person wants something - anything! bad enough they will do it.

I wanted to quit smoking. I did. It was easy for me 1.5 years ago because I WANTED it.

Years ago before I got married, I got into the best shape of my life and it took me 3 months.

Now I've been trying to lose the same 20 pounds for over a year. I keep gaining and losing the same 5. It's not activity, I work out quite a bit. It's the food. I ****ing love to eat. I love to eat ice cream, giant salads, bacon, fruit.. very rich expensive meals probably laced with butter. But then I get sad, and call myself a failure, and eat well for a few weeks, and then I think that clicks off and I indulge. But I think if I really WANTED it, it would have happened.

I am not looking for answers really, because I know it's just about wanting it bad enough. Just wanted to say out loud maybe I don't. And maybe that's why some others are stuck in weight loss plateaus.

Is this a captain obvious rant?

Maybe it's not about how much you do or don't want it... Maybe you just aren't doing it right. If something isn't working for you, try something else. I don't agree with "if you want it badly enough it would happen" ALL the time... you still have to know HOW to make it happen, and sometimes the desire comes AFTER figuring out how, and seeing a small change. :wink:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Do you continue to eat ice cream and bacon when you lose weight?
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Actually I did eat Ice Cream when I was losing.

But honestly it's like every 4th week I stop caring and ruin all I worked to lose. It's crazy how it can take 3 weeks to lose 5 pounds, but one week to gain it.

I get the "why bother" attitude and then it's an eating frenzy.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

But honestly it's like every 4th week I stop caring and ruin all I worked to lose. It's crazy how it can take 3 weeks to lose 5 pounds, but one week to gain it.

What I'm asking is if you more or less give up the ice cream and bacon and other stuff you listed when you are losing weights.

I ask this because a lot of people tend to give up "unhealthy" foods like that to lose weight, but they eventually give in and eat it again, thus "failing" their diets. This drops them into their old eating patterns and they gain the weight back.

I'm trying to figure out if that's your pattern: give up these "fattening" or whatever foods, lose weight, then start eating them again and gain the weight back.

If so, there's good news for you.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    In retrospect, when I wasn't losing weight it was because I flat out didn't really want to. I was miserable. I hated my body. If I had a wish I would wish for more wishes, then millions of dollars, and THEN a perfect body.

But I still didn't want it enough to work for it.

Not that I was lazy or obsessed with food or anything like that. I was just stressed and busy and I didn't want to put ONE more thing on my shoulders. At least when I had time to eat I could eat what I wanted and however much I wanted. I also got used to putting myself last, which means weight loss was low priority. I piddled around on WW and lost a few lbs, but if I was priority I could've done better.

Now that life has slowed a bit, and I'm valuing me more, I want it. So I'm doing it.
  • sadiebrawl
    Options

What I'm asking is if you more or less give up the ice cream and bacon and other stuff you listed when you are losing weights.

I ask this because a lot of people tend to give up "unhealthy" foods like that to lose weight, but they eventually give in and eat it again, thus "failing" their diets. This drops them into their old eating patterns and they gain the weight back.

I'm trying to figure out if that's your pattern: give up these "fattening" or whatever foods, lose weight, then start eating them again and gain the weight back.

If so, there's good news for you.

Ah I see... No, I still do eat them when I lost my first 25. I just eat them more in moderation like I should be doing. When I get in the don't care mood, I eat a lot of said foods. Sometimes I think it's my environment (husband doesn't care, thinks I'm purty), people at work I see eating brownies, I want one, etc.. but I think those are just excuses. Then I bring myself right back to I have to want it for myself. Am I talking in circles?
  • sadiebrawl
    Options
    In retrospect, when I wasn't losing weight it was because I flat out didn't really want to. I was miserable. I hated my body. If I had a wish I would wish for more wishes, then millions of dollars, and THEN a perfect body.

But I still didn't want it enough to work for it.

Not that I was lazy or obsessed with food or anything like that. I was just stressed and busy and I didn't want to put ONE more thing on my shoulders. At least when I had time to eat I could eat what I wanted and however much I wanted. I also got used to putting myself last, which means weight loss was low priority. I piddled around on WW and lost a few lbs, but if I was priority I could've done better.

Now that life has slowed a bit, and I'm valuing me more, I want it. So I'm doing it.

Stress sucks huh? It's true, when I'm eating well, it does take time and effort on my part. I have to make time and it's usually late at night when I get my food ready for the next day. I do fail if I don't do that.
  • Lmans77
    Lmans77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I totally get it...I usually can super motivate myself for 3-4 weeks and then I no longer give a flying flip because life gets in the way, I get tired, busy and/or stressed and no longer care enough because I put those other things at the top of my list and I need something to make myself feel good or whatever.

And I don't have a ton to lose. and I bounce around the same 5 lbs.

One thing thats helped me a tiny bit is to really focus on eating for health...lots of fruits and veggies etc. My preferred "diet" is a plant based one. it does work for me, and when I'm in the zone its quite easy and I crave the good stuff.
    Its when life gets me and I go to the nearest Panda Express that I start back down the slippery slope of the cravings.

Edited to rant: I really really DO want to lose weight and be fit. But dangit, sometimes at that moment, you just want the effin cupcake or fast food MORE. But realize that want is for the present moment, and that long term, oveall want of a fit and trim body needs to supercede most of those instant gratification moments.
  • Oneal77
    Oneal77 Posts: 12
    Options
    Lol!! You have excellent writing skills, enough so that I must share your struggle with my readers. Oh yeah, you can read articles, and watch videos on this particular subject at www.uncommonwebshop.com. Just click on the weight loss link. Thanks for sharing your story. Good luck!! :)