How does one "gain 2 pounds" in a day!? Please help!

Options
2»

Replies

• getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Water weight.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Hell, I can gain 7-10 pounds in a day. Water, food, it all weighs something.

It's not stored fat.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I can easily gain/lose 2-5 lbs over night .. and its usually because I had way too much sodium the day before and didn't have enough fluids.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It's probably water weight. I know that for me, my AM weight is 3-4lbs lighter than my PM weight (I weigh myself everyday too.) I also noticed that even when I stay in my calories, sometimes it's the type of food I eat that can change the weight to,

I think one thing you do if you're weighing yourself everyday is not to stress. I like to see the changes and monitor myself but if one morning is up from the day before, I don't really sweat it because there are so many changes from day to day that you just can't stress too much.

If it's up several days in a row, then i take a look at what i'm doing and make changes. Maybe eat dinner earlier or something
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Sleep longer next time, it'll go away.
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I weigh 5-6 times a week in the morning before I work out. I use my lowest weight and don't worry about fluctuations (unless it has been several weeks without a "new" low). I reason that there are a lot of ways for the scale to show an inflated "high" number and hardly any (none?) for it to show an artificial "low" number.

If you want to be a daily weigher, you still need to look at your weight over a more meaningful amount of time (weeks, sometimes months). I just see it as more data points to prove the MFP hypothesis (then again I am a huge nerd!)
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I just don't let it bother me.
  • trixietime
    Options
    I weigh weekly, and twice a month in maintenance modes. Bodies can do wild things overnight. The problem with weighing every day (outside of the obvious threat of sliding into an eating disorder,) is that by the same token of an overnight weight gain from something salty you ate, is that you can also think that you've lost 2 lbs overnight, when in fact you were a little dehydrated. Everyone has their own style, but I would seriously ask yourself why you're weighing every day, if it's not an indicator of your overall health, or weight. It takes 3,500 calories to change your weight pound by pound, and that doesn't happen overnight. For your peace of mind, you might consider transitioning to weekly weigh ins, as a daily weigh in may lead to bad food choices.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think someone needs to take my scale away from me. I not only weigh every day, but sometimes twice a day. It serves no practical purpose, and even though I tell myself to expect the fluctuations, I still question them just like the OP.
  • bradleybt
    bradleybt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You may be gaining muscle. Maybe you could transition to the mirror test & use your scale weekly. Keep up the good work. I found

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/ayurvedic-fat-fighters-pt-1

Here is a link to 4 interesting fat fighting videos.

I've shifted calories around as she recommended & followed lots of her advice, I've lost ten lbs by following her methods. It's free too.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Most likely water weight, as everyone has all ready said. =) Do not let it get you down if you see a 'gain' the next day. You have a loss, and most likely your body is holding onto a little extra water today.

I weigh myself everyday as well, and today I went up, but I know that I didn't gain because I have been good with exercise, and eating decent (within caloric for sure..). Don't sweat it...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Make a big shake. Drink it. BAM 2 pounds.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I gain 2lbs if I dont sleep properly or for long enough!!

You really get to know your own body by weighing daily. Take note of fluctuations and why they happen. But dont let it demotivate you cos it's natural to fluctuate. Your body is 70% water!! It's very difficult to keep that stable for a number of reasons. Just keep an eye on the downward trend and as long as that's going down, you're losing fat :flowerforyou:
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    because e u are weighing your self to much
    weigh in once a week
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've read on here that as women store water the week before, during, and AFTER a period, sometimes the most accurate readings are only within 2 weeks of the month.

Of course thats personal to that poster, but remember we store water for a variety of different reasons.

Try to hit the scales on a particular day of the week, before breakfast. Something I will try very...very hard to stick to. As of tomorrow. I promise.