How fast can I lose 30 pounds?

Options

Replies

• eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I think it matters the percentage of weight lost per week, more than the actual amount to determine if doing it healthfully. For example, I just lost 37.2 pounds since June 3rd. That's 10.5% in 44 days, or 0.84 pounds per day or 5.88 pounds per week on average. I'm still losing 4 to 5 pounds a week. Obviously, this is a smaller percentage than if you at 175 pounds lost 4 or 5 pounds a week. I always heard the maximum healthy loss was 1% per week. So I am right in the range of this percentagewise. For you that would be about 1.75 pounds per week to start. 30 pounds at 1.75/week is 17 weeks, but I would never put a date on it, too much pressure, but that's just me.

Best of luck to you.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    (English humour alert)

How fast can you lose 30 pound?

you ever been to Liverpool? you'd be lucky to come out of there with your shoes still on, let alone 30 quid

(English humour alert)

ok everyone can relax now
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I don't know about losing 30 pounds, but with a some calorie defficit (500-1000 calories) and a good workout program, you can get decently toned and lose some good inches in 3 months. Sometimes the scale is not the best goal... you can lose 30 pounds and look flabby or 15 pounds but look leaner.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I don't know about losing 30 pounds, but with a some calorie defficit (500-1000 calories) and a good workout program, you can get decently toned and lose some good inches in 3 months. Sometimes the scale is not the best goal... you can lose 30 pounds and look flabby or 15 pounds but look leaner.

BAD ADVICE!!!!!!

Doing this you will wreck your metabolism and your health!!!

Just exercise and eat at a deficit and you will lose!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Placing a date on it is the worst thing you could do
    another for good measure.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you go on a very restrictive diet and workout hours a day and only want it to be temporary, but if you want it to be permanent? Listen to what the others are saying, I'm just here to be a smartass.
  • NadirToZenith
    NadirToZenith Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Depends on how long you want the 30 pounds to stay away! If you go drastic and try to drop it fast I guarantee you will fall off the wagon and next thing you know, you'll be back where you started. Invest time in yourself and lose healthy. It takes longer but you have a better chance of keeping it off!
  • GuavaGravy
    GuavaGravy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Focus on weight lifting and toning. Even if you don't hit the "magic number" in three months you will look much better.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    the first time I ever thought of losing weight was when some co workers set up a bet, how much weight can you lose in 6 weeks. I won the bet and I lost close to 25 pounds on a super restrictive diet (1200 cals a day) and massive working out. I worked in a factory and ran my *kitten* off for 8 hours a day then came home and did an hour of pilates and walked 3 miles.

Needless to say, I gained it all back. almost within a month. So CAN you lose 30 pounds fast? sure. Will you be able to lose it quickly and KEEP it off? Not likely.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I was like you when I started, but you'll be much better off if you get rid of the deadlines and commit to a lifestyle change. Follow MFP's suggestions, eat back some of your exercise calories, and take it pound by pound.

It's unlikely that you'll lose 30 pounds in 3 months, I think 6 months is much more reasonable but still pretty quick. The time will go by faster than you think it will so don't worry!

As for me, it's taken me a year and a half to lose 60 pounds, and I'm working on my last 10. I thought it would take me 6 months when I first started, but the time has passed and it really doesn't matter too much that it's taken longer. I've learned so much and I'm confident that I will be able to keep the weight off, and I think that's what really counts! When you lose very quickly, it's easy to gain it back just as fast!
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    To lose 30 pounds you need to give yourself 9 months to a year. Any sort of strict time constraint is just going to set you up for disappointment if you don't reach your goal in time. And there's no way you could lose ten pounds a month, if you only have 30 to lose. That's just nuts.
    Very true. I'm sure it's not what you want to hear...and maybe you think you're different and it will work for you (I used to think that) but I just analyzed my progress over the last year and I'd lost 29.5 pounds! And I'm pretty proud of it too! Losing that much in 3 months is very unrealistic...it's possible, but like others have said you probably won't be able to maintain it!
  • honeysprinkles
    Options

BAD ADVICE!!!!!!

Doing this you will wreck your metabolism and your health!!!

Just exercise and eat at a deficit and you will lose!
    It was good advice, I think you misread it.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Pick the leg you like the least and have it removed?

^ lol
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    if you want to lose 30 lbs in the next three months, you should have started three months ago.

Start at a reasonable calorie deficit and exercise. Work hard and love the results you get. After the three month have passed, keep working hard to achieve the loss you want.
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Tapeworm.
  • ARoseC2012
    ARoseC2012 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    the trick is to eat the minimum of calories a day, no matter how much you burn in exercise. so if your usual miimum is 1500 cals, even if you "get" 500 extra from working out, only eat that original 1500.
  • shelshell89
    Options
    I lost 27 pounds in 12 weeks, I was in a competition and my competitor never dieted before and lost 37 pounds. It ticked me off because i was in better shape than her at the beginning. although now she runs more than me. She won because she was better with her diet but we were working out 2 times a day at least 5 days a week, run your but off it works, but just dont hurt yourself. Too much too fast is not good. It is possible with complete concentration and work.
  • angelataylorneal
    angelataylorneal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I recently lost 34 pounds and 30 of it I did in 4 months, which is pretty fast. I work out 6 days a week for 30-45 mins (using Jillian Michaels workout DVD's at home) and started off at 1200 calories/day (I'm now at 1500). I almost always ate back my exercise calories as well. The most important thing for me, besides excercise which was crucial, was I cut out all fast food and soda and any sugar that was not a part of my food (ie no cookies, cake, cupcakes, candy etc.). These are trigger foods for me and so it made all the difference. If the goal is to lose it fast, then I think working out 6 days a week is key to really reprogram your muscles and metabolism.

Good luck, it can be done!
  • therainandthunder
    Options
    It is possible to lose 30 pounds in about 3 months healthily. But watch out for plateaus!
  • devinbear
    devinbear Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It took me almost two years to go from 157 to 133. This is with minor hiccups, but slow (extremely slow with weeks of no losses, and occasional gains) and steady has had advantages. (More sustainable, better body composition, better relationship with food and exercise, etc) I think, like others have said, that you should just get started, and you will feel so much better in three months even if you have not met your ultimate goal as long as you are eating withing your calories, and exercising. I promise you, even if you only lose ten pounds, you will feel better.