Out of Ideas!

Options
branha5
branha5 Posts: 3
I am completely out of health meal ideas! Does anyone have a healthy and uncomplicated dinner recipe they can share?

I need some inspiration!

Replies

• shimmer615
    shimmer615 Posts: 55
    Options
    I'm doing a version of this tonight:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/roman-style-chicken-recipe/index.html

I don't have any proscuitto, wine, or bay leaves and I'm using boneless skinless chicken breast. I'm planning on serving it with couscous and zucchini.

I've never tried it before so I hope it's good!
  • megganxrose
    megganxrose Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You can check my diary for some ideas, I switch it up a lot (for dinner) or I'll get bored and order a pizza, chinese food, and buffalo wings every day haha. I try to keep it fairly uncomplicated (most of the time) simply because I'm always in a rush and if I spend two hours making dinner I will NOT go to the gym.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    roasted chicken.
    quinoa with black beans, cucumber, red onion, salsa, and sour cream mixed in.

ETA: maybe a definition of "healthy" could help too..
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Tonight I'm grilling eggplant, onions and portobellos with a soy sauce/liquid smoke marinade. I'll be serving it on top of bulgur that's been cooked with (vegan) chix broth.
  • antonjanik
    antonjanik Posts: 12
    Options

quinoa with black beans, cucumber, red onion, salsa, and sour cream mixed in.

Oh man, that sounds good. Add in some cilantro and a squeeze of lime!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Baked stuffed zucchini with ground beef,mushrooms,veggies,seasonings,marina sauce...shredded cheddar cheese.Salad with our own cherry tomatoes,peppers .& home grown onion from farmers market.

Dessert is a pie with graham cracker crust,cream filling topped with strawberries & Cool Whip.
  • mbhuntrn
    mbhuntrn Posts: 6
    Options
    mango or pineapple or peach salad with red onion, red pepper, cilantro, a splash of lime juice and great olive oil-serve with grilled or broiled fish and brown rice or quinoa.
    Or sub black beans and/or charred corn (char in a bit of the olive oil in a HOT cast iron skillet) for the fruit.
    Can add a jalapeno , serrano or habanero pepper to any of these, and can add basil instead of cilantro, cumin if you like. And, of course, salt and pepper are a given. Sub any protein for the fish.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I made some easy, awesome crab cakes last night. I used a 1 lb can of crab from Trader Joe's (in the cold section).
    http://www.grassfedgirl.com/paleo-crab-cakes-2/
    You can use regular flour if you aren't gluten-free. The whole meal took about 20 minutes to make.

My other go-to's are pan seared rib-eye or filet mignon. I pan sear them in coconut oil in a cast iron pan, then put the pan in the oven at 425 for about 5 minutes, remove from pan to plate, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Flank steak is very easy too. Marinate it in balsamic, capers & garlic, then broil on each side for 3-4 minutes, plate it and cover with tin foil to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Flank steak makes great leftovers for salads too.
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had this tonight: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tabbouleh_91782

Other recipes out there that use more bulgar wheat so you could try playing around with it.

I ate the whole 4 servings (nom nom) with a grilled turkey steak and the whole meal was 614 cal and I'm stuffed!
  • mbhuntrn
    mbhuntrn Posts: 6
    Options
    grill really large chunks of eggplant, onion, bell pepper, zucchini-pretty much any summer veggie. I use a big wire mesh grill basket. Char 'em good! Cut into bite sized pieces, toss with a good amount of fresh squeezed lemon juice and herbs (mint, dill, rosemary- whatever you like) and serve as a salad - cold or warm- with tzatziki (grated cucumber, greek yogurt, mint, dill), in a pita pocket as a sandwich (with tzatziki or hummus). I make a big batch of this and use it for days-as a salad or sandwiches, over or stirred into brown rice or couscous, can add a protein component on the side (lamb or beef plays very well with the flavors)
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Fish Tacos with Slaw
    Ingredients:
    4 cups pre-sliced cole slaw
    1 cup chopped plum tomatoes
    1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    2 tablespoons FF Italian Dressing
    1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
    1 pound tilapia fillets
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
    Directions:
    Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Add juice, FF Italian Dressing and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss well to combine.
    Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle fish evenly with chili powder and remaining
    1/4 teaspoon salt. Add fish to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or just until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork
    or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from heat, and cut fish into bite-sized pieces.
    While fish is cooking, warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/4 cup cabbage mixture down the
    center of each tortilla. Divide fish evenly among tortillas; fold in half. Serve tacos with remaining cabbage mixture.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Snow Crab, corn on the cob, any other seafood you want. Bring water to boil add salt, peppercorns (9), old bay seasoning, bay leaves. Throw corn in first, let it go for 15 minutes, then add seafood go for another 8. Unless you use king crab then might take a little longer. I did this last night. Corn on the cob, 90 calories for about 9" piece, crab leg clusters, 95 calories per cluser. Generally I eat 3 of them. Then whatever other seafood you add, you will have to add for that if you eat it. But in general seafood is about 50 calories per 2 ounces and has about 20 grams of protein...
  • missdelajay
    missdelajay Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, take a look at skinnytaste.com. Everything I have made from that site has been delicious
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    turkey burgers
    spaghetti using ground turkey instead of hamburger
    boneless skinless chicken breasts
    fish
  • branha5
    branha5 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for all the awesome ideas!! :smile:

I have such a hard time eating healthy, so some yummy recipes definitely help!!
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I made this for dinner last night, but without the chicken... So yummy and filling!! And the amount of calories is quite low if you skip the chicken, but with the chicken it is a nice main dish, I think.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10388/thai-chicken-and-mushroom-broth