Nook vs. Kindle

Options
SoDamnHungry
SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
Looking at eReaders. Nook vs Kindle. Any advice? Please and thank you!

Replies

• Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Go for a tablet and get the App. Kindle fire is suppose to be awesome. I have a Nexus 7 with nook and kindle ereader apps.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Go for a tablet and get the App. Kindle fire is suppose to be awesome. I have a Nexus 7 with nook and kindle ereader apps.

Eh, I'm already going to have a laptop and a smartphone. I'd prefer just to have a basic kindle or nook that won't be a big deal if I lose it or damage it.
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You can get a Nook HD from B&N right now for $129. I love mine.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have a Nexus 7 & a Kindle Paperwhite. The Kindle is lightyears ahead for long time readability, battery life, etc. The whole e-ink thing really is easier on the eyes. I love my Nexus but not for reading books on.

Can't comment on the Nook, but i do enjoy using the Kindle. I upgraded to the paperwhite from a keyboard Kindle & am glad i did.
  • joe_madre
    joe_madre Posts: 693
    Options
    Then I suggest the Nook. They just opened it up to perform more as a tablet reader ie you can download aps from the google play store as well as shop the Barnes and Nobel store. Added bonus they knocked the prices down at the same time.

Edit: I believe both the Nook and Kendal allow you to check out e-books and audio books from selected local libraries.
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my Kindle Fire. I've had it for 2 years. They make it in HD now.
  • lymanduggan
    Options
    You can get Kindle and most ereaders for your PC for free. I like the normal Kindle as the batteries last for so long and I can load books into it that I get free at different places. All my kindle devices also sync. I have kindle on my android phone, my laptop and my android pad. All those use a lot of battery power but the normal unlighted kindle is very light, easy to handle and doesnt need charging very often even after days of use and they are cheap too.

If you have an ebook that is not kindle, there are free programs to convert to kindle too.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Kindle, I've had the basic wi-fi kindle and the Fire. Loved both, especially for the large quantities of free books on amazon.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I love my Kindle, but I have no experience with the Nook.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have an i pad and a kindle paperwhite. If you are ONLY wanting to read on it I would recommend the Kindle Paperwhite. Its super light and you can read outside without glare like on a tablet with a regular screen :-) I love mine.
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I bought a Nook color about 18 months ago. I wanted to be able to walk into a B&N store for support. No complaints so far.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    We had the original Nook ... it didn't impress me that much. I have a Kindle Fire, but I do actually read on my iPhone and ipad Mini more than on the Kindle itself *Ü*

But personally, I would still recommend the Kindle, just because (in my experience) they have more free/cheap offerings and are so easy to use. I have 500+ books waiting in my Kindle Cloud that I've picked up free (yes, you get what you pay for with some of them, but others have been really good). There are a ton of books at the local library that I can "check-out" on my Kindle/Kindle apps (I do believe you can do this with Nook too).

The Kindle is more than just an e-reader ... (not sure on the Nook)

I have the Nook app too, and the Kindle is just easier to manage for me.

BIG thumbs up for e-reading in general though. I have always loved to read but hadn't been doing much. Now I have so many books at my fingertips, I love highlighting and looking up definitions as needed, not needing a lamp to read in the dark, not having to heft a big heavy book ... there are so many advantages!

My Ipad Mini (or Kindle) also fits perfectly on my stationary bike (in a cover) ... much easier to turn digital pages than to struggle with real ones. I've been trying to get in about 40 minutes reading/riding each day *Ü*
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on the Nook, but I have a Kindle Fire and I love it!
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I loveee my Kindle Fire HD (have no experience with Nook). But it fits perfectly into my purse and the charge seems to last forever. I can also watch Netflix on it or browse a little bit of internet. Primarily I use it as an eReader and only occasionally watch movies/tv shows.

But all I have is love for it :D

Also: A TON of libraries have eBook rental with Kindle (I rarely pay for a book) -- I've never seen Nook listed, but I don't even know the Nook eBook format.
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have had a sony ereader for approx 3 years and its great. Takes more book formats than a kindle.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I have a kindle fire and it may be the best gift I've ever gotten. Love it. First, I just love having a ereader in general and second the kindle is light weight, durable (I've dropped it more than a handful of times) and has nice screen quality.

Edit: And the battery last forever! With the wifi off I made a trip from Hawaii to New York (13-14 hours, or something) with no issues.
  • PaulVanda
    PaulVanda Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Love my standard Kindle for reading. I have tried the Fire and various tablets, but if you just want to read I would go for a dedicated reader. Never tried a Nook, but I guess go and have a look at them both and just see which one suits you best in terms of long-term readability, I use Amazon for a lot of things anyway, so I went for the Kindle simply to keep things all in one place and not have to set up new accounts.
  • kender54
    kender54 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had a Kindle Fire and now use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 for reading. However, I have used both Nook and Kindle software on my phone. My experience was that I could not share as many books on Nook as I could with Kindle. So if you plan on borrowing books from friends or sharing books with friends, I would go for the Kindle. However, possibly B&N has changed their policy since last I tried the Nook app about 9-10 months ago.
  • DainaLC
    DainaLC Posts: 18,937 Member
    Options
    I love my Kindle Fire! :heart:
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You may want to really consider the Kindle. One daughter has a Nook and one a Kindle (the relatives spoil them). Kindle is a nicer product and the Amazon store is much better than B & N's. If I could have asked them to buy them one or the other I would have asked for both of them to have a Kindle.

Barnes and Noble has a very precarious status these days. Hubby said he read an article yesterday that Nook may not survive 2014. I think I see a Kindle purchase for the non-Kindle kid.