Female Newbie 25yrs 256lbs longterm struggle with weight

Options
Hello MFP friends,

I am new to MFP, only learning about it recently from a friend, and i am looking for any tips, advice, or words of wisdom from veterens who have accomplished their weight loss goals and have seen results.

I am currently 25yrs old, weighing in at a disapointing 256lbs. I was very active and average weight up until i graduated high school. Since then it's been an upward scale, the pounds increasing monthly.

I quit smoking Nov of 2011 - making it officially 20 months nicotine free. my blood pressure went from 180/90 to just 132/70 yesterday! I had hopes of already being at my goal weight, but have not managed to stay on track with my diet and exercise goals. I always end up being too lazy or too busy and "fall off the wagon"

However, i am now starting to make plans for getting married and starting a family and do not want to be an overweight wife and mom who cannot fit into regular sized clothes or chase my child around at a park or be physically attractive to my future husband.

So, i turn to all of you strangers, whom i've never met, to give it to me straight. What works? What doesnt? What tips do you have on not getting stagnant and lazy. I need to break free from my own bad habits which are weighing me down and making me more and more depressed about myself.

I have the rest of my life to live and i want to be happy and health and live it to the fullest! PLease help me suceeed...

Thanks!

Replies

• adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have come to the right place!

I am 31.. currently 256 lbs as well. I have just dropped 30 lbs and working at another 60. There is amazing support here, in fact I found my new trainer here and he's been a wonderful support. Best of luck with your journey, I am happy to see your BP has decreased, what a great NSV ( Non scale Victory) Being nicotine free that long ensures you have the willpower for fat loss!

Feel free to add me if you would like! :drinker:
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    When you are emotionally and mentally ready to lose weight, and if you don't have any medical complications, then it's really not hard. Physically, it's about calories in and calories out - simple. Eat fewer calories than you burn and you will lose the weight. You can track that here on MFP - counting calories on MFP has changed my life. You do not have to do anything crazy like train for a marathon or stop eating carbs or only eat grapefruit or something. For me the mental and emotional stuff is harder. When people can't lose weight it's often because they are emotionally addicted to food, compensating with it, stuck in bad habits, giving up too soon, etc (unless again there is a medical issue that causes someone to retain weight). On your health journey, don't just focus on your physical health, but take care of yourself in every area of your life. Minimize stress and find things that make you happy. Ask yourself why you gained weight, why you are eating, etc. Don't be hard on yourself and celebrate your successes. Also, even people with medical issues can lose weight. You may have to adjust your expectations and be happy with slower progress, but it is possible. I hope this helps!

PS. How tall are you and what is your goal weight range or goal body fat %?
  • amyknjones
    amyknjones Posts: 21
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on choosing your health! You will be such a happier person. I have a friend on here who uses MFP and has for over a year now. She weight 256 when she started in May 2012 and she is now 157. She looks and feels amazing! It can definitely be done. I have lost 30 lbs twice but have gained it back each time. This last time, I gained back some (I am still down 20 from my highest) and decided I am not letting this happen again. I realized you are always going to have times that you kind of "fall off the wagon" but don't let that define you. Pick it up the next day and don't be okay with failing yourself. It's easy to do, I know! The first couple of weeks are the hardest and then it begins to become somewhat of a routine. Fit in the exercise when you can. For me, it's great motivation to be able to eat a bit more than I would if I didn't exercise. Anyway, hang in there and use MFP as a support group. You will do great!!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm on my phone so please forgive wonky spelling.

What works is different for everyone. Some have success eating paleo, others eating a bagel every day.
    You'll have to find what works for you. Itll take trial and error.

What did you pick as your MFP settings? What is your calorie goal?
    What are you current stats and your goal weight?
    What do you plan to do for exercise?

ETA: Also, making small goals and small changes makes it less daunting
  • sarahsunshine1217
    sarahsunshine1217 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    you are more than welcome to add me as a friend. We are very similar. I started out at 260 in Feb of this year and am down to 197. You can read my blog if you would like it talks about the things I did. Welcome to the MFP community :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sarahsunshine1217
  • hoffmann_maddy
    hoffmann_maddy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello and thank you for your encouraging words! I'm currently 5'5 and i'm looking to lose 100lbs in a year maybe? From 256 to 150 preferable. But more importantly i'd like to NOT have to shop in a PLUS SIZE store, ya know?
  • jenniferharrisricard
    Options
    HI I started at 280 and I am currently at 265 so I am a little more than you. YOu can do this!! Just take one step at a time. Start with water. Make sure your getting in at least 8 cups a day and when you have that down start another thing like eating 4-5 veggies and fruits a day. THen maybe try walking. Once you make it a lifestyle change it will become easier and second nature. You can do this!!! I am here if you want any more support :smile:

Jenn
  • NewMama221
    NewMama221 Posts: 22
    Options
    Congratulations on being nicotine free! That's a big accomplishment! Welcome to MFP. Calorie counting works the best for me! I've tried a variety of other programs and fads. Right now I'm strictly counting calories due to a couple of reasons and I've lost approx 8 lbs in 7 weeks.
    Feel free to add me (anyone can!). I log on everyday and I'm on often throughout the day, especially during the week. Weekends get a little hectic but I still log on.
  • jackiefrost33
    Options
    Congrats!!!! I just came back to MFP and am determined to get healthy. I am 40 and have a starting weight of 281. I have just watched my calorie intake and drink lots of water. Excersise is my bad spot. I clean houses so by the time I get home I really don't want to do anything. I'm working on that. I'm in the same boat so if you want to add me as a friend we sure could motivate each other!!
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hello and thank you for your encouraging words! I'm currently 5'5 and i'm looking to lose 100lbs in a year maybe? From 256 to 150 preferable. But more importantly i'd like to NOT have to shop in a PLUS SIZE store, ya know?

100 pounds is very doable but I would not limit yourself to the timeframe of a year, because if you don't meet that you will frustrate yourself, instead of focusing on your successes. 100 pounds in a year is over 8 pounds every month, which is really fast and might cause you to gain weight back after you are finished losing weight. It's more sustainable to go slow and make it a lifestyle change rather than just a temporary diet. Especially when you get close to your goal weight, you will lose weight slower like maybe 2 pounds a month or something, and that is still really good.

I hope this helps!