Help making a lifting schedule...

Options
2»

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here is my schedule, however it varys some days due to work.

-Monday
    bench or chest press machine (depends on if I'm alone)
    incline bench
    free weight press
    tricept pull machine
    fly machine
    pullups (on machine that helps)
    crunchs/sitpus between sets
    -Tuesday [this is a squadron pt day and some of this may vary]
    fly machine backwards
    deadlift
    row machine
    diverging lat pulldown machine
    free weight pull
    crunchs/situps between sets
    -Wednesday
    military press (free weight)
    shrugs
    side lift (free weights)
    front lift (free weights)
    dips (on machine or from a bench)
    tricept pull machine {there are different ways to use it front, back, side}
    crunchs/situps between sets
    -Thursday
    i don't have all the machines names yet- will get that today, but this is my leg day so--
    squats
    calf raises etc
    -Friday
    this is squadron pt day and what I missed on Tuesday will move in here

I also do cardio each of these days. On the sets I do 3-4 sets of 10 each and usually vary the weight starting lower and doing more. Ex: 1) bench bar 2)bench bar +5 3) bb+7 4)bb+10... I'm a weakling

You may want to move your pull ups to Tuesday as you are working your back on Monday and Tuesday as pull ups work the back muscles.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different ways to set up your schedule. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

For example, if you're trying to build muscle, you should plan to consistently work out those muscles (to fatigue) at least three x per week. Your muscles grow while at rest, so it is important to give them a rest of at least 48 hours in between workouts. Protein is the fuel that your muscles grow on, and in order to have a complete and speedy recovery from working out, you should be eating or drinking your protein within 20-45 minutes of exercising.

However, whatever weight and exercise you do, give your muscles rest in between sets.

What I do is 1 set of bench presses, then immeadiately 1 set of squats, followed by a rest (1-2 minutes). then repeat. This is called a super set and it helps me get all the exercises in I want to do in a short time frame. I also like to get my heart rate up. Supersetting is good to build larger muscles as opposed to strictly toning. Right now I am lifting 3x a week (mon, Wed, Fri) and working out chest/ lats /legs on each day using a variety of exercises. I usually do two exercises per body part, and ideally 5 sets of each where I tap out at 6-8 reps. I don't always have time to 5 sets though, so three sets is my 'minimum'.

Another way to lift is with circuit training- better for toning. This is where you have a group of exercises for your whole body, say chest press, lat pull, row, squat, abs etc. then you go from one to the next, doing one set each of about 8 reps, then rest at the end of the circuit. Then you repeat the circuit from the beginning, doing the whole thing three to five times. This is good to get your HR up and burn calories, sort of a combo cardio/resistance training. Good for fat burning, and toning, but usually you use lighter weights in this case.

Hope that helps you!

BTW, I'm not an expert- I suggest you do some research and make sure to use the right form when working out or you could hurt yourself :)
  • chrssyeldridge
    chrssyeldridge Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone try the jefit app..there web forum has several pre set workouts .

I just downloaded this app looks like a great one to have THANKS!!! Oh and my goal is to gain muscle!
  • kmahly
    kmahly Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been preaching the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" to all my female clients recently. There are a couple really sound plans in the book, but bigger than just the plans, it finally dispels the myth of women lifting a 5 pound weight about 30 times. In my experience, I thought that was silly for some time now, but thanks to this book, finally saw the science behind it.

^ THIS

Great book, great program.

Bodybuilding.com is also a great site when you want to start getting serious about lifting. I spend a lot of time on that site.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    A workout plan is really dependent on what your goals are, what equipment you have available, what kind of time you have to spend in the gym, etc. Without knowing all that, I can't really give a specific recommendation. But here are a few rules for designing your program.

1. Never work the same muscle group two days in a row!!!! Most important rule!!! So, you can either break up total body weight training into every other day workouts or you can split the body parts so you can do weights daily without working the same muscle group two days in a row.

2. Pick a weight that is heavy enough to do some good. Light weights aren't going to provide enough stimulus to make changes in the body. If you want to build size in your muscles, the weight should be heavy enough that you can't go over 6 reps. If you are wanting to build strength, the weight should be heavy enough that you can't go over 12 reps. Any weight where you can go on for a while without rest is too light. The last rep of a set should be difficult to complete. Take at least a minute of recovery between sets (up to 5 minutes between sets if you are going heavy with low reps) so that you can let the ATP in the muscles build back up to keep up the activity.

3. Warm up, Do your weights, Follow with cardio, and end with a cool down and stretch. With weight training, specifically weights heavy enough to cause muscular changes in the body, you are primarily breaking down glucose to provide the fuel. Long duration cardiovascular activities are primarily breaking down body fat to provide the fuel. The trick is that in order to break down body fat, the body needs the by products of glucose breakdown to do it, so by doing weights before cardio you have more pyruvate available to keep the fat burning going without having to breakdown more glucose instead of fat while doing cardio. Stretching at the end will help with muscle soreness after weight training.

4. Plan your workouts according to your schedule. If you can only workout 3 days a week and they are back to back days, do a split of muscle groups so that you don't work the same muscle groups two days in a row. If you can only workout every other day, you can do total body training every time you workout.

5. Pick 2-3 exercises for each muscle group, but focus on the large muscle groups and compound movements using multiple muscle groups first. So, squats or bench press would come before calf raises or bicep curls. Use the large muscle groups and compound movements for the majority of your exercise with the smaller muscle groups being a smaller portion of the workout to round it out.
  • efahey
    efahey Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    something i need to add to my fitness routine definitely. i have done cardio cardio cardio for years... i think its time!!

xo erin
  • chrssyeldridge
    Options
    A workout plan is really dependent on what your goals are, what equipment you have available, what kind of time you have to spend in the gym, etc. Without knowing all that, I can't really give a specific recommendation. But here are a few rules for designing your program.

1. Never work the same muscle group two days in a row!!!! Most important rule!!! So, you can either break up total body weight training into every other day workouts or you can split the body parts so you can do weights daily without working the same muscle group two days in a row.

2. Pick a weight that is heavy enough to do some good. Light weights aren't going to provide enough stimulus to make changes in the body. If you want to build size in your muscles, the weight should be heavy enough that you can't go over 6 reps. If you are wanting to build strength, the weight should be heavy enough that you can't go over 12 reps. Any weight where you can go on for a while without rest is too light. The last rep of a set should be difficult to complete. Take at least a minute of recovery between sets (up to 5 minutes between sets if you are going heavy with low reps) so that you can let the ATP in the muscles build back up to keep up the activity.

3. Warm up, Do your weights, Follow with cardio, and end with a cool down and stretch. With weight training, specifically weights heavy enough to cause muscular changes in the body, you are primarily breaking down glucose to provide the fuel. Long duration cardiovascular activities are primarily breaking down body fat to provide the fuel. The trick is that in order to break down body fat, the body needs the by products of glucose breakdown to do it, so by doing weights before cardio you have more pyruvate available to keep the fat burning going without having to breakdown more glucose instead of fat while doing cardio. Stretching at the end will help with muscle soreness after weight training.

4. Plan your workouts according to your schedule. If you can only workout 3 days a week and they are back to back days, do a split of muscle groups so that you don't work the same muscle groups two days in a row. If you can only workout every other day, you can do total body training every time you workout.

5. Pick 2-3 exercises for each muscle group, but focus on the large muscle groups and compound movements using multiple muscle groups first. So, squats or bench press would come before calf raises or bicep curls. Use the large muscle groups and compound movements for the majority of your exercise with the smaller muscle groups being a smaller portion of the workout to round it out.

WOW that's a ton of info most of it I did not know! Thanks a bunch!!!!!
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Great advice is above but I'm going to add the fact that you should tailor your workouts to your personal goals. Please read the books, workout magazines, search the web and ask friends for exercises that are going to provide the benefits you are specifically looking to accomplish. For example: stronger legs, flatter abs, stronger arms, etc… The reason I am encouraging you to educate yourself is because each workout should work a specific area of your body and unless you are concentrating on that specific area during your workout you are losing the benefits of that workout.

A great example is the leg press: http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/training/83354-dos-donts-basic-leg-press.html. I always see people doing this wrong so they are not getting the full benefit of the lift.

After you have started doing the workouts monitor your body against your goals and continue to change workouts as your needs change. For example: I want to get faster, not bigger legs, so I started doing lots of weight with the leg press and started seeing my legs getting stronger and bigger (terrible) so I changed my exercise to more reps at a lower weight and it’s going much better now.

I hope this helps…
  • chrssyeldridge
    Options
    Great advice is above but I'm going to add the fact that you should tailor your workouts to your personal goals. Please read the books, workout magazines, search the web and ask friends for exercises that are going to provide the benefits you are specifically looking to accomplish. For example: stronger legs, flatter abs, stronger arms, etc… The reason I am encouraging you to educate yourself is because each workout should work a specific area of your body and unless you are concentrating on that specific area during your workout you are losing the benefits of that workout.

A great example is the leg press: http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/training/83354-dos-donts-basic-leg-press.html. I always see people doing this wrong so they are not getting the full benefit of the lift.

After you have started doing the workouts monitor your body against your goals and continue to change workouts as your needs change. For example: I want to get faster, not bigger legs, so I started doing lots of weight with the leg press and started seeing my legs getting stronger and bigger (terrible) so I changed my exercise to more reps at a lower weight and it’s going much better now.

I hope this helps…

I am looking to gain stronger legs but lose the jiggle they currently have! Flatten my abs and thin out my arms..
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I've been preaching the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" to all my female clients recently. There are a couple really sound plans in the book, but bigger than just the plans, it finally dispels the myth of women lifting a 5 pound weight about 30 times. In my experience, I thought that was silly for some time now, but thanks to this book, finally saw the science behind it.

As for a schedule to get started, I use the BodyOpus plan (modified P90X schedule):

Monday: Chest/Back
    Tuesday: Legs/Abs
    Wednesday: Shoulders/Arms
    Thu: REST/Yoga
    Friday: Full Body (1-2 sets per major body part)
    Sat-Sun: REST/Carb Load

Steve
    KnightFit.com

I LOVE this book!! So much info and the routines are easy to follow...now I didn't say the workout was easy just the way it's laid out and it makes so much sense. I have been a believer of women lifting like men for a couple years now and have been practicing it with awesome results!!!
  • sd59940
    sd59940 Posts: 27
    Options
    not sure what your goals are but here is a start. I use this website often. Good Luck!!
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/elitefts4.htm
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Let me first of all point out that I am not a physical therapist or trainer. I am a workout-aholic and these are my thoughts. So please follow up with someone that is qualified. I would also like to point out that I don’t know your physical characteristics so I am giving you kind of a general statement.
    You have to think of your whole body when you are thinking about losing fat; your body will lose everywhere instead of just one place. Therefore cardio will work for firming up your body. There are millions of cardio classes and video’s out there so choose a couple that are fun and try to stick to them. This will work for flattening your abs, thinning your arms and losing the jiggle. Running is great for this too but really hard on your body. If one gets too easy or repetitive then pick another. I change classes all the time from cardio strength, yoga, abs, core, cycling (spinning) and running, keeps it interesting.
    Your legs will get stronger from your cardio but if you would like to focus specifically on your legs I’ve found dumbbell lunges work very well. This will work your hips, glutes and thighs. PLEASE, please, please, read up on this exercise and do it correctly. Do not use too much weight. Also, look for a hamstring exercise that you like: these are very hard muscles to work but you have to keep them up with your thighs. Calf raises are also good for you.
    Life will happen so the more rigid you are about your workout schedule the more chance for failure. I try to get in three nights a week for at least an hour and one long weekend workout. If I miss one week night then I will make it up during the weekend.
    Hope this helps….
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I would not mess around with any of the machines in the gym. Stick with traditional barbell training. Stick with squats, deadlifts, benchpresses, pullups and overhead presses. THe combination of these movements if done with good form will work your whole body in a balanced fashion. Make sure to go to a trainer to learn how to do these movements.

Here is a good example of a female that works out in the above manner and is successful: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Doing all the isolation movements and machines in the gym causes muscle imbalances. I speak from experience...
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Ok so is what I need help with. I am one of the people at the gym that bounces from weight machine to weight machine with no order. I do at least an hour of mixed cardio everyday but how do I make a lifting schedule?? Is there a website to model one after or do I just need to work on one or two area's daily? Any examples or help is greatly appreciated!!

Sounds like you're pretty new to weight training, so perhaps you can ask one of trainers at the gym. Not implying you're going to get a free training session or anything, but help finding your way? Sure. That way, once you've been given tips on great workout schedules, you are ready to jump in because you know how to do what they call for.

Don't be afraid to ask them, they're there to help.

Here is a link to Fitness Magazine's article for Strength Training for Beginners.
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/lose-weight/build-strength/strength-training-for-beginners/
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I would say pick a large handful of exercises you want to focus on that will cover all your muscles. Split them up into 3 workouts, however it makes sense to you, prioritizing compound lifts, and try to put a day of rest between them.

Right now, my routine looks like this:

Mon - Squat, Barbell overhead press (i'm already in the rack), Chin-ups, maybe Hamstring curl machine
    Wed - Bench press, Rows, Dips, maybe Fly press machine
    Fri - Deadlift, pull-ups, maybe something else if deadlifting didn't kill me.

Pretty minimalistic. I hit diminishing returns after doing a few sets of 3 or 4 exercises and it's time to go home and eat, eat, eat.

If I do any significant cardio except for a brief warmup, I'll do it on a day I don't lift.
  • schmidty13
    schmidty13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Not positive, but from my understanding your rep ranges in #2 are backwards. Someone else want to confirm?