Nook vs. Kindle

Options

Replies

• kdchase
    kdchase Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Definitely a Kindle. Easier to buy books, in my opinion, and they have great sales. Plus, if you like an article on the internet but don't have time to read it, you can send it to your Kindle to read later. I'm unsure if a Nook can do the same. Plus, I love the ink technology. So much easier on the eyes!
  • ruby_brewer
    ruby_brewer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Since I already had an ultra book and a laptop, I went for the Kindle Paperwhite............and I LOVE IT.............it is exactly what I wanted :)
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    I picked the Nook because: 1) Local service at the B&N store 2) User replaceable battery (If Kindle's dies, you have to send it in) 3) Expandable memory slot 4) I was able to root the Nook and make it into a typical Android tablet. 5) I also have both the Nook and Kindle reader apps on my cell phone and the Nook is less glitchy 6) Ability to side load pdf files into Nook (Don't know if Kindle can do this but Nook can).
    I don't NOT like the Kindle. I just think these points made the Nook a better option for me.
    Good luck!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I bought the Nook tablet because it has a card slot to expand the drive space, and the kindle doesn't.

However I think the kindle has more apps available for it.

Other than that, they're very similar. Both HD, both play music and videos, etc.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I have had a sony ereader for approx 3 years and its great. Takes more book formats than a kindle.

What formats?
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of ebook formats out there (.epub, .azw3, .mobi, etc). The nice thing is that even if your device doesn't accept a format, there's a good chance you can convert it using a program like Calibre.

One more plug for the Kindle Paperwhite - the built in light system. It's really flexible and works great at night when you're reading in bed. Not harsh, won't disturb anyone else, etc.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I picked the Nook because: 1) Local service at the B&N store 2) User replaceable battery (If Kindle's dies, you have to send it in) 3) Expandable memory slot 4) I was able to root the Nook and make it into a typical Android tablet. 5) I also have both the Nook and Kindle reader apps on my cell phone and the Nook is less glitchy 6) Ability to side load pdf files into Nook (Don't know if Kindle can do this but Nook can).
    I don't NOT like the Kindle. I just think these points made the Nook a better option for me.
    Good luck!

Three years ago, there were three Barnes and Noble stores in my 'hood. Now there's one, and it doesn't seem to be doing too well. So (1) might not be an argument for the Nook for much longer...
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I use a Nook HD. Really cool device. It can do the my fitnesspal app from the google store. Highly recommended. Read a couple of books on it.
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love my Nook!!!! :)
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle Fire HD and a standard Kindle. Love them both! The standard Kindle is better to read out in the sun but otherwise both are excellent. Amazon will be around forever so go Kindle. A lot of book retailers are tanking as the digital age takes off. I am a bibilophile, I collect ebooks like some women collect shoes & handbags! LOL Free books galore on Amazon, if you have a prime account you can get one free borrow a month or watch movies on the Fire. I have so many books I use a free program called Calibre to organize and convert ebook formats. You can use Overdrive to borrow ebooks from your public library, however the wait time on popular books is atrocious. I plan on being buried with my Kindle I love it so much! :laugh: :laugh:
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I've used both the Nook and the Kindle and I like the Kindle a lot more. The battery life is longer and it isn't as bulky as the Nook. (My Nook was older so I'm not sure if they have gotten smaller) I know everyone loves their tablets but I would not want to read on a back lit screen all the time. I love that the Kindle is easy on the eyes.
  • JessieNeutronGirlGenius
    Options
    Kindle is great! I have a kindle touch which is the bomb! But I also read on my iPad with the Kindle app which is awesome too!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
  • Jameson1984
    Jameson1984 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have a Nook Tablet and love it. My parents have Kindle Fire's and love them. I find the Nook to be more user friendly but the Kindle has a few options that arent available on the nook.
  • NadirToZenith
    NadirToZenith Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a nook but never use it. I wish i'd gotten the kindle because where I live you can borrow kindle books from the library. Still not available for Nook. Well you can borrow an Adobe E-book and do some heavy aerobics to import it to the Nook but it's much easier to do the Kindle library books.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Kindle. I can't read off a lit screen for a long time without getting a headache so a Fire/iPad/Whatever was out of the question. The Kindle is light, easy to load, and looks perfect for reading from. Amazon prices on books are usually pretty competitive, too.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    bumper-roux
  • peggymas
    peggymas Posts: 17
    Options
    I have the Kindle Fire and love it
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    still love me a good old fashioned paperback, the feel, the smell of the pages, yep , I have a kindle and never used it but once.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I have a nook and love it. My boyfriends mom has the kindle and I find it harder to navigate. Also, she let her grand kids play with it and ended up being charged for a bunch of games they had purchased because she couldn't figure out the security settings.