Replies

• stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    bumping for future reference
  • mooookie
    mooookie Posts: 22
    Options
    I do push ups daily about 500 a day.. Am I doing damage? I started doing them when I read about Herschel Walker.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I know this is probably a silly question but I'm really curious about this.

is there a correlation between a person's age and when DOMS kicks in?

My dad and I started working out together a few weeks ago. We do the same workout and somehow I'm really sore the next day but he doesn't feel anything until maybe the second day. I'm just wondering if it takes older people longer to feel delayed muscle soreness after a hard workout. You know, maybe something to do with recovery speed?

Recovery ability definitely declines with age, but I can't imagine that being the root cause of his delayed response. Regardless of age, response to training is going to vary from person to person... some people might feel most sore the next day while others will feel it 2 or 3 days after. I'm not aware of any research out there indicating older populations have a delayed DOMS... but admittedly I've not done a lot of digging on the subject nor do I train a lot of elderly clients.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    For 9 months, I stuck to pretty rigidly to 1200 calories a day and consistently lost 1lb a week. At almost my target weight, I got a Fitbit which started crediting me with extra calories for all the activity I did during the day (just walking around, housework etc cos, at that point, I wasn't working out) and I stopped losing weight. I've since started working out and am burning about 500 calories a day through activity........so, if I continue to want to lose weight, should I stick to consuming 1200 calories, even if I'm burning an additional 500 calories per day as this gives me a Net Calorie Intake of 700 cals - is this safe? I'm pretty confused - it was easy when I wasn't working out and was completely inactive!!! It has been weeks since I've lost anything, however, this could also be muscle gain, right?

I'd remove yourself from the neurotic concern about the right calories intake.

Try this.

Start at 10 cals/lb

Then adjust accordingly based on what's happening.

People bombard me with questions claiming, "I eat XXXX cals per day and I burn XXX cals per day and I want to lose XX lbs... is that calorie intake right?"

Here's the problem. People have an idea of what they're spending and what they're eating... but that idea isn't fixed. It varies by the day. And even without the variability, the accuracy of most peoples' estimates are suspect at best. Very few people are meticulously tracking with a digital food scale and we even have research showing the dietitians have a very hard time assessing their intake.

Point is, throwing all of these numbers out there does little. It's about a process of fine tuning your intake based on how your body's responding.

Check this out:

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat#calories

I suggest the entire article, which is really a book, but this part specifically applies to your question.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    If DOMS isn't a sign of a "good" workout, what is?

I'm of the mindset that a good workout will make my muscles sore. However, i've been lifting for about 2.5 months and have only felt it in the first few sessions. I know i'm not that fit. :laugh:

Haha, yeah, DOMS definitely isn't indicative of workout efficacy. I mean it's rewarding for a lot of people as it lets them know that they did something. But I can make progress in strength and physique without ever feeling true DOMS.

So what are good signs?

Unfortunately I can't say that there are any acute signals. It's more the longer term trends in performance and physique that are indicative.

I think it always helps people to boil it down to the simple fact that there are really only two variables that are in our control for improving physique - minimizing fat mass and maximizing muscle mass.

We know what systems work to manage both of these variables.... an energy shortage for the former and a progressively challenging stimulus to the muscles for the latter.

In terms of the latter, as I'm sure this is what you're referring to, if you're getting stronger over time and you're doing enough work at each session, you're heading in the right direction.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I do push ups daily about 500 a day.. Am I doing damage? I started doing them when I read about Herschel Walker.

Damage? Hard to say. But I assure you that you're not going to turn into Herschel doing that.

a) He is a genetic freak.

b) He likely tinkered with PEDs.

c) He likely did much more than what he led everyone on to believe.

Why I wouldn't suggest doing what you're doing, without knowing your goals:

a) If it's the only thing you're doing as far as resistance training goes, it's terribly unbalanced - what about the other muscles in your body that aren't trained by the pushup.

b) Unless you're goal is to get the muscles involved in the pushup very aerobic, what's the point?

c) If you are trying to improve your physique, this is the last way that I'd go about it.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read through and steal links
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

I'm of the mindset that a good workout will make my muscles sore. However, i've been lifting for about 2.5 months and have only felt it in the first few sessions. I know i'm not that fit. :laugh:

Haha, yeah, DOMS definitely isn't indicative of workout efficacy. I mean it's rewarding for a lot of people as it lets them know that they did something. But I can make progress in strength and physique without ever feeling true DOMS.

So what are good signs?

Unfortunately I can't say that there are any acute signals. It's more the longer term trends in performance and physique that are indicative.

I think it always helps people to boil it down to the simple fact that there are really only two variables that are in our control for improving physique - minimizing fat mass and maximizing muscle mass.

We know what systems work to manage both of these variables.... an energy shortage for the former and a progressively challenging stimulus to the muscles for the latter.

In terms of the latter, as I'm sure this is what you're referring to, if you're getting stronger over time and you're doing enough work at each session, you're heading in the right direction.

Great question and great answer.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Tagging so I can creep later. Thanks for this!
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bumping to peruse later. :)
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options

So what are good signs?

Great question and great answer.

I agree.

Thank you.:flowerforyou: I will continue to progress as safely as possible. :wink: Today, I went up 5 more lbs on my DL and Squat .:drinker:
  • Justmj77
    Justmj77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    tag
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    For 9 months, I stuck to pretty rigidly to 1200 calories a day and consistently lost 1lb a week. At almost my target weight, I got a Fitbit which started crediting me with extra calories for all the activity I did during the day (just walking around, housework etc cos, at that point, I wasn't working out) and I stopped losing weight. I've since started working out and am burning about 500 calories a day through activity........so, if I continue to want to lose weight, should I stick to consuming 1200 calories, even if I'm burning an additional 500 calories per day as this gives me a Net Calorie Intake of 700 cals - is this safe? I'm pretty confused - it was easy when I wasn't working out and was completely inactive!!! It has been weeks since I've lost anything, however, this could also be muscle gain, right?

I'd remove yourself from the neurotic concern about the right calories intake.

Try this.

Start at 10 cals/lb

Then adjust accordingly based on what's happening.

People bombard me with questions claiming, "I eat XXXX cals per day and I burn XXX cals per day and I want to lose XX lbs... is that calorie intake right?"

Here's the problem. People have an idea of what they're spending and what they're eating... but that idea isn't fixed. It varies by the day. And even without the variability, the accuracy of most peoples' estimates are suspect at best. Very few people are meticulously tracking with a digital food scale and we even have research showing the dietitians have a very hard time assessing their intake.

Point is, throwing all of these numbers out there does little. It's about a process of fine tuning your intake based on how your body's responding.

Check this out:

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat#calories

I suggest the entire article, which is really a book, but this part specifically applies to your question.

^^ This is exceptional information ^^
  • nitza53
    nitza53 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbee but I bet that you have a lot of heavier muscle mass rather than fat, we don't want to lose that muscle.
  • VicPuff
    VicPuff Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, I'll go, I'll go! Although I'm pretty sure 90 minutes is already up. :smile:

Hopefully this will be quick. When you talk about "lean people getting leaner" what exactly does that mean? I'm 122lb and 26% bodyfat (Dexa scan). Oh and I'm 5'6". I'm having a hell of a time seeing significant changes and I've been at this since late April (at this means watching my cals and lifting heavy). I feel like I have enough body fat so that changes should come a little faster. I don't think I count as "lean people getting leaner" correct?

Thanks!
  • ogiesmom
    ogiesmom Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information and links!