Junk Food - A Question of Snobbery?

Options

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    most junk food is generic and bland in comparison to other meals of equal caloric value.

thats where most of the hate comes from.

for example a big mac meal vs and meal of sushi(both having the same cals). that sushi is going to taste a lot better to most people who are over 18 years old.

so if someone blows a ton of cals routinely on bland food like mcdonalds people take notice.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Has nothing to do with class or snobbery. Your logic is somewhat faulty. People who are knowledgeable about food and nutrition call that junk food, not because of the people that eat it, but because of the lack of nutritional value, the added chemicals, and heavy processing. It's almost as if someone needs to approach this from another angle. The reason that junk food is "poor people" food, is that it's cheap. Why is it so cheap? Because it's "junk" food. They eat it because they become addicted to it because it's hyper-flavored, greasy, and cheap. It appeals to the "gut" which craves those things. But, in order for companies to sell meals for $2.00 is by creating the most vile frankenfood, that they can produce em masse. I stopped eating fast food over 10 years ago. I have no desire to eat a burger or chicken sandwich which was frankencooked back in Ohio, and shipped frozen to be "cooked" again locally. If I do eat something "fast" it's from a company that sources real products, and cooks them on the spot, with no freezers on the property.

So the actual take away is that the food is junk food so that it can be cheap. No one is going to be selling grass-fed beef, non-commerically baked rolls, and hand cut fries, and local tomatoes, for 99 cents a pop. Yes, the poor eat that stuff, because it's cheap and easy. But that doesn't make it as healthy as expensive food... the other meals were actually whole foods, and not trucked into the restaurant by the millions, frozen.

"People who are knowledgeable about food and nutrition call that junk food, not because of the people that eat it, but because of the lack of nutritional value, the added chemicals, and heavy processing"

So is all so called modernist cooking junk food?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    People who are knowledgeable about food and nutrition call that junk food, not because of the people that eat it, but because of the lack of nutritional value, the added chemicals, and heavy processing.

Yes, but in my example meals 2-5 could arguably fall into those definitions as well (especially if we consider the ratio of calorie to nutrient density despite being "higher" quality ingredients.)

Given they have more calories, more sodium, more sugar, more carbs, and more saturated fat than meal 1 surely they are more of an issue?
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to rag on junk food perhaps because there is a perception that it is what less affluent people eat and is therefore an easier target?

I kind of feel like you are calling me a snob, and I don't appreciate it.

I'm kinda weird though, so maybe I just have a different of "junk food". I am a slave to my tongue. I rag on "junk food" because it doesn't taste very good. If I'm going to consume calories, I want to enjoy it. A big mac is barely palatable to me, though I acknowledge the tastiness of the McD's fries and McFlurrie. Same thing with Twinkies and fruit juice and soda. Those things just don't taste good to me.

Junk is a combination of flavor/presentation/care taken in the production thereof. In my mind, I would call very little of the food that Acg67 posts "junk food". It would definitely be an indulgence for me, but not junk.
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I promote equality for all foods. None, final answer!
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry!

tumblr_lqd1r4g21k1qii6tmo1_500.gif
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Wut? Don't worry mate, I ain't made at ya. Who are you again?

In all seriousness if we are classing junk food was that which lacks palatability then I don't really mind as I can consign that wheatgrass and spirulina smoothie to the bin...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to rag on junk food perhaps because there is a perception that it is what less affluent people eat and is therefore an easier target?

Ding ding ding we have a winner here!

Agree 100%.

Let's talk about goose fat potatoes, massive steaks, foie gras, baked macaroni and cheese topped with truffles, 3 pound chocolate cake slices, creamed spinach, and other absurdly high calorie foods served at some of the best steak houses the U.S. has to offer, all washed down with a couple bottles of red and a glass or two or port or Scotch. I think the ice tea, sliced apples and a McDouble or three would compare quite favorably, but instead thread after thread here is on McDonald's. For the record, I got fat on the list of foods above.
  • missmuse1
    missmuse1 Posts: 11
    Options
    Why is it so cheap? Because it's "junk" food. They eat it because they become addicted to it because it's hyper-flavored, greasy, and cheap. It appeals to the "gut" which craves those things.

In my opinion, this is an unfair assessment of people living off of processed foods. Many people don't eat it because they're addicted as much as they eat it because it's what's affordable in the supermarket. Just because chemical-less foods might give you that extra boost doesn't mean that you can't live a healthy lifestyle based on typical, processed supermarket foods.
    But, in order for companies to sell meals for $2.00 is by creating the most vile frankenfood, that they can produce em masse. I stopped eating fast food over 10 years ago. I have no desire to eat a burger or chicken sandwich which was frankencooked back in Ohio, and shipped frozen to be "cooked" again locally. If I do eat something "fast" it's from a company that sources real products, and cooks them on the spot, with no freezers on the property.

So the actual take away is that the food is junk food so that it can be cheap. No one is going to be selling grass-fed beef, non-commerically baked rolls, and hand cut fries, and local tomatoes, for 99 cents a pop. Yes, the poor eat that stuff, because it's cheap and easy. But that doesn't make it as healthy as expensive food... the other meals were actually whole foods, and not trucked into the restaurant by the millions, frozen.

The benefits of whole foods over processed foods are certainly existent, because obviously, no chemicals is better than chemicals. But in my understanding, the benefits have more to do with potential long-term effects... not obesity. My issue is, whether they admit it or not, most affluent people perceive the difference between processed and non-processed foods to be the difference between a fit and healthy, happy person, and an obese, grease-addicted, pathetic person. THAT'S where the disgust comes in whenever someone mentions McDonald's over breaded calamari, and it's un-called for. It's as though they think that they're more responsible because they can afford food that is less mass-produced.

Yes, the chemicals make a difference. But they don't make ALL the difference, and perhaps not even most of it. Fit and healthy MOSTLY means that you eat your fruits and vegetables, exercise, and resist excess fat, sugar, and calories. That person can come from Whole Foods or the corner grocery store, the same way the obese person can come from McDonald's or the high end restaurant with food that wasn't "trucked into the restaurant by the millions, frozen."

In a nutshell, eating whole foods is great, if you can afford it. But I think some people need to refrain from labeling the entire group of processed-food eaters (not to mention whole-food eaters) as though they all have equal lifestyles... and get on a lower horse.
  • OrganicNotes
    Options
    Call me crazy, but I would much rather eat a salad from Wendy's, McDonald's or Chick-Fil-A, than any One of those choices. Choose your dressing + toppings wisely, and it's really hard to mess up a salad.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options

Wut? Don't worry mate, I ain't made at ya. Who are you again?

In all seriousness if we are classing junk food was that which lacks palatability then I don't really mind as I can consign that wheatgrass and spirulina smoothie to the bin...
    Agreed, although I'd take it one step farther. I don't think wheatgrass and spirulina are junk food. They're not food at all. If somebody can prove to me that they nutritious, I would consider calling them supplements, but no - not food.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In....

...to catch up later.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It's been years since I've had a McDonalds burger because I didn't much like them before, so that doesn't appeal to me. But their fries and a Cadbury McFlurry (!) are another story. I'd gladly eat meal #1 from another restaurant. It doesn't have to be fine dining or a foodie place, just food I actually want to eat. I'd eat it from a local greasy spoon. Or Sonic with tots.
    The fine dining options probably have higher calories than the FF and Chinese food, but they all sound delicious. I wouldn't eat these meals regularly, but would look forward to any one as a good dinner out.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Well, I put these meals together with the MFP tool. Obviously there's going to be a wide possible range for everything but meal #1. But here's what I ended up with:

Cals:
    1- 1390
    2 - 1354
    3 - 1327
    4 - 1008
    5 - 892

Protein:
    1 - 37
    2 - 112
    3 - 41
    4 - 41
    5 - 48

Fat:
    1 - 59
    2 - 53
    3 - 74
    4 - 71
    5 - 36

Carb:
    1 - 175
    2 - 118
    3 - 120
    4 - 49
    5 - 93

Sugar:
    1 - 63
    2 - 5
    3 - 24
    4 - 20
    5 - 4

Fiber:
    1 - 8
    2 - 2
    3 - 13
    4 - 7
    5 - 7

Sodium:
    1 - 1426
    2 - 1280
    3 - 1630
    4 - 874
    5 - 1904

So take away the names, take away the taste, ignore micronutrients, and pick a meal.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It's been years since I've had a McDonalds burger because I didn't much like them before, so that doesn't appeal to me. But their fries and a Cadbury McFlurry (!) are another story. I'd gladly eat meal #1 from another restaurant. It doesn't have to be fine dining or a foodie place, just food I actually want to eat. I'd eat it from a local greasy spoon. Or Sonic with tots.
    The fine dining options probably have higher calories than the FF and Chinese food, but they all sound delicious. I wouldn't eat these meals regularly, but would look forward to any one as a good dinner out.
    Sonic :love:
  • jwdieter
    Options
    People who are knowledgeable about food and nutrition call that junk food, not because of the people that eat it, but because of the lack of nutritional value, the added chemicals, and heavy processing.

Yes, but in my example meals 2-5 could arguably fall into those definitions as well (especially if we consider the ratio of calorie to nutrient density despite being "higher" quality ingredients.)

Given they have more calories, more sodium, more sugar, more carbs, and more saturated fat than meal 1 surely they are more of an issue?

By my calcs the #1 meal has the highest calories, sugar, and carbs (this by over 50 grams). Lowest protein. Fat and sodium are midrange among the options.

Doesn't really fit my macro objectives at all. Rather have any other meal just from that perspective.
  • missmuse1
    Options

By my calcs the #1 meal has the highest calories, sugar, and carbs (this by over 50 grams). Lowest protein. Fat and sodium are midrange among the options.

Yes, it does... but not enough to warrant any real triumph in picking an option other than #1.
  • jwdieter
    Options

Yes, it does... but not enough to warrant any real triumph in picking an option other than #1.

Depends on what you value. If price and subsistence calories (with no home cooking option) are a primary concern, meal #1 might be the only viable option among the meals. If you value protein and don't want an entire day's supply of carbs in one meal, meal #1 is an epic fail.

Also, Big Macs are abominations. It's basically everything I don't want in a burger. Thin little patties, 3 buns of meh bread, nasty sauce, meh cheese, bad lettuce/tomato, all squished up. Open the wrapper and wtf bleh. Big Macs are, I believe, the worst flagship burger of any fast food restaurant. They're amazingly half-assed. But that's a personal preference issue.
  • missmuse1
    Options

Depends on what you value. If price and subsistence calories (with no home cooking option) are a primary concern, meal #1 might be the only viable option among the meals. If you value protein and don't want an entire day's supply of carbs in one meal, meal #1 is an epic fail.

Also, Big Macs are abominations. It's basically everything I don't want in a burger. Thin little patties, 3 buns of meh bread, nasty sauce, meh cheese, bad lettuce/tomato, all squished up. Open the wrapper and wtf bleh. Big Macs are, I believe, the worst flagship burger of any fast food restaurant. They're amazingly half-assed. But that's a personal preference issue.

My point is, ALL of the options are debatably an epic fail. If you compare them to each other, you can nitpick. But really, when you compare them to what's really healthy, it's uncalled for to pass special judgment on someone who prefers number one.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Did someone say McFlurry?

Seriously, I had a hard time interpreting the rest of the post after I read that line. CADBURY CARAMEL McFlurries??! I'm moving to GB like today (I'm assuming OP lives in GB because we don't have Cadbury Caramel McFlurries here in the US).

They've had them in Canada, but I'm not sure if it's a seasonal thing or not.