Females that only have a few "vanity" kgs to lose

Options
Hi ladies,

For those of you that are already at a healthy weight and only want to lose 5kgs or thereabouts, what "method" are you using to lose weight? Are you having any success at all?

I want to lose about 3-4kgs, or, not even that, I want my "skinny" pants to feel loose again. I have not weighed myself in 2 months, as I find that I tend to get too caught up in what the scale says.

My method has been: introduce running and HIIT as well as weight training. Diet has been eating on average 1000 calories per day, and one cheat day of probably 2500 calories or more on Saturdays. I am 163cm (5 foot 3) and weigh (last time I checked) 57 kgs.

I've had *some* succcess so far. I tried my "skinny" pants on the other day and I *think* they feel a teeny bit looser. Am pleased, but a little disappointed I couldn't notice more of a difference. I don't want to weigh myself just yet in case I am disappointed what the scale says and I get discouraged and give up.

How long did it take you to lose the weight? How did you do it?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have more then vanity weight to loose (15lbs ugw) but to do it I will be lifting heavy.
  • EdwarddeVere
    EdwarddeVere Posts: 178
    Options
    Eat healthy and exercise. There's no secret formula.
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I only have 2.4kgs to go but was a goal weight at Chistmas. I had health issues and decided I wouldn't log/care and gained 5 back but now I'm half way back to goal.

I am at 1350 plus eat all exercise calories back so around 1700 per day. I'm 5'2' and am 47. It's not hard to lose. Just eat less than you burn by a little bit. I walk and do HIIT sometimes on the treadmill. Started using a skipping rope a bit lately too(jump rope for the overseas people). I tend to be really good all week with low calories and go all out on the weekends.
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I want to get tighter and lose a few pounds but my understanding is that it's measurements that matter more than weight.
    I take about 9 hours of ballet a week, am doing Insanity workout and hike with my dogs.
    It's very slow going as I like to eat. I would never eat only 1000 calories a day ...that is far too few for my very active lifestyle.
    I am also vegan and eat very healthily; lentils, healthy grains, greens, fruit, nuts, tofu, tempeh etc..
    I am 5 foot 6 and weigh about 127 lbs. I know that is perfectly healthy but I want to be tighter and develop my upper body more as I am a bit if a pear, so have started lifting also.
  • technobunny
    technobunny Posts: 131
    Options
    I've got 8lbs to my UGW, and I've been doing Insanity 6 days a week for the past 3.5 weeks, also keeping within my Net Calories (most days). Haven't seen the scale move a crazy amount, but my pants are most def getting looser. Almost annoyingly so because they aren't flattering anymore.
  • mskeith2
    mskeith2 Posts: 22
    Options
    I only have 2.4kgs to go but was a goal weight at Chistmas. I had health issues and decided I wouldn't log/care and gained 5 back but now I'm half way back to goal.

I am at 1350 plus eat all exercise calories back so around 1700 per day. I'm 5'2' and am 47. It's not hard to lose. Just eat less than you burn by a little bit. I walk and do HIIT sometimes on the treadmill. Started using a skipping rope a bit lately too(jump rope for the overseas people). I tend to be really good all week with low calories and go all out on the weekends.

I am eating less than I burn, which is why I thought I would see results more quickly. But then again, if I only have a few kgs to lose (and I am short), maybe it's unrealistic to expect my weight loss to be faster than what it is?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I ate maintenance or just slightly below. Never more than a 10% deficit, but really I never cut my calories that low. Generally I just ate about 100 calories less than maintenance. I ate 1 gram of protein per pound of ideal lean body mass for my small size. And I lifted heavy, free weights, compound moves. As well as other types of exercise and activity that I enjoy, want to do, or are a part of my life. I lost 1 pound a month. It took me 6 months to reach my goal. Then I gained some back, but I'm still slim, fit, with muscle definition. And I had to buy new clothing because my clothes were falling off me (even though I barely lost any weight).
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I posted an article in another thread that may be helpful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1046086-fat-loss-for-petite-small-women
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I ate maintenance or just slightly below. Never more than a 10% deficit, but really I never cut my calories that low. Generally I just ate about 100 calories less than maintenance. I ate 1 gram of protein per pound of ideal lean body mass for my small size. And I lifted heavy, free weights, compound moves. As well as other types of exercise and activity that I enjoy, want to do, or are a part of my life. I lost 1 pound a month. It took me 6 months to reach my goal. Then I gained some back, but I'm still slim, fit, with muscle definition. And I had to buy new clothing because my clothes were falling off me (even though I barely lost any weight).

Listen to her. She knows what she is doing and looks fantastic.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Listen to her. She knows what she is doing and looks fantastic.

Thank you! :blushing: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    My vanity tells me to lose body fat not lbs... I'm at 17.5 now and I want to be around 16...

I've never eaten this much chicken and broccoli in my life! Oh and fish...

but I love what it's doing to my body :D

Plus lifting is helping with definition!
  • mskeith2
    Options
    I posted an article in another thread that may be helpful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1046086-fat-loss-for-petite-small-women

Thanks!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I went from 146# to 134#. I ate my TDEE -20% for a bit, about half way through I increased calories to TDEE -15%. My goal was just half a pound a week. It worked well. I want to lose a couple percentage from m body fat% and am eating at. 10% deficit and lifting weights now. I'll probably float around between 132-134#.

(I eat 130 grams of protein daily ..on average)
  • mskeith2
    Options
    My vanity tells me to lose body fat not lbs... I'm at 17.5 now and I want to be around 16...

I've introduced weight lifting into my routine as well. I lift "heavy" for me - I do 3 sets of 10 reps, sometimes I can only manage 7 reps. I do legs and arms using free weights (no machines, except for the leg press machine). I am definitely more toned, but I thought I would notice more of a difference in the way my clothes fit.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

I've introduced weight lifting into my routine as well. I lift "heavy" for me - I do 3 sets of 10 reps, sometimes I can only manage 7 reps. I do legs and arms using free weights (no machines, except for the leg press machine). I am definitely more toned, but I thought I would notice more of a difference in the way my clothes fit.

My next suggestion is HIIT... I do insanity and Jillian Michaels Shred at least twice a week. I also spin... it helps!
  • mskeith2
    Options
    My next suggestion is HIIT... I do insanity and Jillian Michaels Shred at least twice a week. I also spin... it helps!
    [/quote]

yep, also do that. As well as endurance running (45-60 min).
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Had around 13lbs to lose and have knocked off about 6lb of that in 4.5 weeks. I'm a little girl to begin with 5'2, currently wearing a size 2 and I eat almost 2000 calories a day and that's not even net calories. I workout 6 days a week (twice a good bit of those days) doing running (5+ miles at a time), HIIT, and lifting heavy. I try to stay within my macros, eat a healthy balanced diet, and I quit drinking.

Eat more! 1000 calories a day is way too low.......
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", and I weigh 130 lbs (58.5 kgs), which is almost dead center in the healthy weight range for my height. I've lost 6 pounds so far (since May), and I'd like to drop another 12 pounds or so (5.4 kgs), so I'm pretty much exactly where you're at.

I eat an average of 1650 calories per day and burn an average of 350, so I net around 1300 calories per day. I'm actually slowly adding more calories every week, because I don't think 1300 is enough to feed my body. You definitely need to eat more than 1000 calories! I calculated mine using IPOARM (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet), and as I said, I'm slowly adding more to get up to 1500 net. Also, eat back your exercise calories. At 1000 calories a day, I'm surprised you have enough energy to type out a message. :)

For exercise, I switch it up every few weeks. I've done the Brazil Butt Lift videos and the Ten Minute Trainer videos from BeachBody, I've done HIIT workouts from dailyhiit.com, I've done strength training. This is my current routine, although it's modified a little this week because of an injury (no jumping around, so I'm skipping HIIT days and eating less those days):
    M - strength training (Body By You)
    T - HIIT
    W - strength
    R - HIIT
    F - strength
    S - rest/bike to farmer's market
    S - yoga/stretching

Basically, eat more, don't be afraid of strength training (or heavy weights...I've lifted heavy before, and I loved what it did for my body...need to get back to that, after BBY), and be patient. Try calculating weight lost with a tape measure as well. I'm due for measurements this weekend, and I'm excited to see what's happened, even if I've only lost 1/4"!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I raised the number of calories I ate to lose those last few lbs. I was 43 when I made goal weight, so it was a bit harder for me to lose it but after I raised my caloric goal to 1400 from 1200 it started coming off at a rate of .4 lbs a week, then I raised it to 1500 and it still came off at .4 lbs a week. Moral of my story, eat more to weigh less.

L