To have a personal trainer or not??

Options
I'm meeting with a trainer from my gym this afternoon, I know his intentions will be to sign me up for individual training but I wanted to here some opinions on personal trainers! So I have a couple questions...do you feel they're beneficial to weightloss? How often should I work out with a trainer and any other advice is appreciated!

Replies

• MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If you find the right one, I think they're worth their weight in gold.

I don't know how beneficial mine has been in weight loss - I take care of my own diet and do my cardio on my own (I don't need someone to stair at me while I'm on the elliptical) but that's really because I didn't hire her to help me lose weight.

Once upon a time I had an equally good trainer who gave me meal plans and cardio assignments and it probably would've worked if I'd cared enough to do it all ;)

Mostly for me it's about pushing me when it comes to changing the compositor of my body. I work out on my own, but once a week I WORK OUT thanks to her. I have accountability so I always show up, and some little part of me wants to make progress because I want her to be happy with me (don't make fun of me! I have mommy issues!)

Plus I don't have to wander around the gym like a lost puppy trying to figure out where to go, what to do, and how to do it.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You can sign up for a few sessions at a time, one time, three times, five times... it's important to find the right trainer, so don't let them talk you into packages and long-term anything until you've met with them a few times.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Beneficial to weight loss?

A caloric deficit is beneficial to weight loss.

A trainer would be beneficial in teaching you some things and helping you learn how to do things and using proper form. I wouldn't use one for an extended period unless I had plenty of money to throw.
  • jilly1130
    jilly1130 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have had a personal trainer at my gym a few times. I think that it is really important that you do your cardio on your own (like walking or running on the treadmill or the elliptical). Use all of the time with the personal trainer for your strength training. I would recommend that you meet with the trainer for strength training 3 times a week to make it worthwhile. Also, again, make sure you are doing cardio too in order to see results. The key is to workout as much as you can but it is critical that you are following your eating plan as well or you will not see results. Just my opinion.

Best of Luck!
  • wpanderson
    wpanderson Posts: 194
    Options
    I'm doing well with food & that's been my biggest battle! I was just curious to hear opinions and whether or not they've been beneficial to others, I know some people feel strongly both ways. I'm also already doing cardio at least 4 days a week on my own but thought it might be good to find someone to help with everything else I could tackle in the gym!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. I hired a trainer to get more familiar with lifting heavy. I wanted to be knowledgeable about my form and honestly I learn something every session. I signed up for 36 half hour sessions and go 2-3 times a week. I viewed it as a learning experience, but I was very picky about my trainer. I chose a former college athlete who worked in pro sports as a trainer with a degree in Kinesiology and a few certifications. Best money I have ever spent.

I wouldn't hire someone who was going to put me on machines or just hand me dumbbells. I don't need someone to motivate me. I want to be able to understand my body and know when I am doing something wrong. Each of my workouts consist of compound lifts and supersets. He's able to tell where I need more work and what my weaker muscles are so I can build those up to be more efficient on other exercises. Again, best money I've ever spent.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'd say get a solid trainer if you want to lift weights and build muscle and you've never done that before, and even if this is the case, only pay for maybe 3 sessions and tell them you want to learn correct form for exercises and then you'll take it from there on your own. As far as nutrition goes, most trainers don't have a clue about proper nutrition, so be careful.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This is completely an opinion and I am in no way an expert:

I hear terrible things about personal trainers. They all use the same advice that is unaffectionately called "broscience." Broscience being fake, college-bro proclaimed workout advice that has no factual basis and is just bad assumptions. They all want you to use machines over free weights and grab an overpriced smoothie on your way out of the gym. I wouldn't, but again, just what I hear.
  • The_GingerBeard_Man
    The_GingerBeard_Man Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Like many people have said the right trainer is a blessing, but way, way too often they just stink. Ask some of the other people at the gym to check your form if you see them using the stuff you want to use. Find a good program like stronglifts 5x5 or the new rules of lifting for women. Dont let the guy high pressure sales pitch you into signing up with him.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I wish I could have him with me 24/7.... The one we currently have is a teacher on summer break and I seriously might cry when he goes back to school in the fall and we have to get a new one.

I'm pretty sure he's trying to kill me. He works me 100x harder than I'd work myself. Has taught me so many new things. I was terrified of the free weight area. Now I can go in there no problem - if it isn't a training day I can look in my book at a past day and have a whole routine right there. He seems to really know his stuff.

Besides giving just general advice (eat protein) the trainers at my gym don't give any nutrition help which is fine by me.
  • king752
    king752 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Please, nonononono

As a fitness enthusiast, I can tell you that 50% of personal trainers, are really bad, another 47% are decent and will get you in shape, the last 3% are worth it knowledgeable,
    You can find everything you need to know on the internet, even I search up academic journals on a regular basis for information.
    Even ask most of them, they won't track what they eat!

A contest preparation coach is WAY better.
    Examples are: 3DMJ, Layne Norton, John Otis Hollywood.

Examples of why trainers are bad:
    Making you push yourself too hard:
    This studies shows that training to failure is actually BAD for you,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19997025

Training frequency
    Most personal trainers, tell you to train one bodypart a day,
    while this study shows that muscle protein synthesis is only elevated up to 36 hours.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8563679
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love mine. She works out of a private gym and is absolutely fantastic. She pushes me beyond what I would do on my own, and teaches me correct form in a variety of exercises in a plan tailored to my goals. I signed up for 3 months, 2x/week and I also work out (following a workout plan designed by her) once a week on my own, do one day of cardio, and follow her nutrition guidelines. I have seen major improvements in my strength already and I would definitely say so far, it has been completely worth the money.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Please, nonononono

As a fitness enthusiast, I can tell you that 50% of personal trainers, are really bad, another 47% are decent and will get you in shape, the last 3% are worth it knowledgeable,
    You can find everything you need to know on the internet, even I search up academic journals on a regular basis for information.
    Even ask most of them, they won't track what they eat!

A contest preparation coach is WAY better.
    Examples are: 3DMJ, Layne Norton, John Otis Hollywood.

Examples of why trainers are bad:
    Making you push yourself too hard:
    This studies shows that training to failure is actually BAD for you,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19997025

Training frequency
    Most personal trainers, tell you to train one bodypart a day,
    while this study shows that muscle protein synthesis is only elevated up to 36 hours.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8563679

I think it's important to keep in mind that people learn in different ways. I learn a lot of great things from the Internet, but I'm completely uncoordinated and I don't learn kinesthetic things from YouTube or a book. I need to be in there doing it and learning as I go.

That still doesn't make it necessary to hire a trainer, but I think it bears mentioning
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I did group fitness 3 times a week for 9 months last year with a trainer, and was never corrected on poor form. I love my PT. My balance was very poor and my PT recommended I see a chiropractor. The combination of PT and chiro have made an outstanding difference. I would never have thought I needed chiropractic help without my personal trainer.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Beneficial to weight loss?

A caloric deficit is beneficial to weight loss.

A trainer would be beneficial in teaching you some things and helping you learn how to do things and using proper form. I wouldn't use one for an extended period unless I had plenty of money to throw.

aWUS2KH.gif
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have had a trainer that I have trained with on and off for many years. I have tried other trainers and have been thoroughly disappointed.

I am not 100% sure I would get the same results recently on my own that I have got with my "trainer man". It is certainly a monetary commitment

To dismiss all as a waste if your money is not right. I think everyone is different, and you may be perfectly capable of getting the results you desire on your own or you may have a current need: accountability, structure, education, efficiency, help with technical skills Eric. Etc

Evaluate carefully before you invest. Be wise in terms of evaluating your needs and the skills and qualifications of the trainer. Then make a decision. It really does not matter what anyone thinks...this is about YOU, your needs, your finances.

All the best
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    You're the best personal trainer you could ever have once properly educated.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, I agree, a good personal trainer is worth his weigh in gold.

I have a gym in my home so as sad as it is, I had to pay a man to come stand over me and tell me to lift weights for a year. It is what worked for me when I needed it.

Also, a personal trainer can help you with form and insuring you are doing it right. So often people do not realize they are doing it wrong and end up hurting themselves.
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Won't know till you try!
  • Shes1CraftyMama
    Shes1CraftyMama Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    There are three benefits to a trainer
    1. Accountability. You have someone expecting you to be at the gym at a specified time.
    2. Help with creating a workout plan. If you were not an athlete, do not have a specific plan you are following, or need the extra help a trainer can do that for you.
    3. Execution of moves. It is super hard to be sure you are executing proper form on lifts, lunges, etc. Having a trainer can help immensely with this!

But keep in mind that if you have a plan you are following (a book etc) and you have no accountability issues going to a gym then you can ask a trainer to check your form on one or two moves to avoid injury. They will do this generally without any pay. I started a lifting program that had a lifting move I had never done and people can get injured doing, I asked a trainer to check my form, and she did at no cost! Overall the gym makes more money if you keep coming/paying! So avoiding injury is important.

Meeting with a trainer more than 3 times a week or less than 2 is a waste of money IMO! You need to be in the gym at least 2 times a week with someone and once by yourself (3 times a week) for your body to respond. More than that a week with a trainer is repetitive.

I have an extensive background with lifting through college sports, hired a trainer a few years back, and now I lift without it! I have done both! There is no right answer. You need to look at what your needs and fitness levels are!

Maybe try one or two sessions at first and then decide from there.
    Hope this helps!!