need advice from someone in law enforcement

Options
Hi there,
I posted a few months ago about my downstairs condo neighbor who had suddenly started acting strangely and erratically (major personality change - wandering around the complex, rocking in poolside chairs for hours at a time, no longer greeting me or making eye contact, having odd conversations/interactions with people, the accumulation of filth on his patio on several occasions etc.). The behavior has not improved, and as I had initially suspected, he is most likely off his medication (I came to this conclusion when I overheard a phone conversation w/his father, in which many strange things were said.)

So, my issue is...No, he hasn't broken the law, but I am quite concerned about his mental instability and my personal safety. (His parents own the unit, so it's not like he can just be evicted.) The Board is keeping an eye on the situation, but, other than documenting everything, is there anything else I can/should be doing? Can the police do anything at this point?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Replies

• LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a family member, or he does something illegal then I really don't think that there is anything the police can do. I know family members can swear out an emergency protection order but I don't think neighbors can. I would talk to his family and express your concerns without mentioning the police.
  • caribear
    caribear Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can do something if he is a harm to himself or someone else. They would prob put him in the hospital and help him get his meds set back up for him with some therapy.
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am a 4th year PsyD student working at an inpatient psychiatric facility. It depends on the state laws, but if a neighbor appears to be at immediate risk of harming themselves or possibly others, you can call local police to state your concern and ask that they send someone to check on the person. If they believe that the person is disoriented, confused, their speech seems disorganized, or they appear to be severely hindered in their ability to stay safe, then they may be able to transport the person to a hospital for a medical assessment. If the ER determines that the problem is psychiatric or drug/alcohol related, as opposed to a medical condition, the hospital can have the person admitted to their psychiatric unit (or transferred to a psychiatric facility) on an involuntary basis for a 72 hour commitment. From there, an initial assessment is done, a psychiatrist is assigned, and the person is evaluated to determine the extent of their problems. I do psychological assessments (testing) for psychiatrists and have had a handful of individuals who were admitted under very similar conditions to which you describe. It just depends on your state laws and I would also say that it may depend on who you talk to at the local police department. If you are concerned about this person's safety or your own, you need to make that very clear. Hope things work out well.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I am not law enforcement but I own a private security business and also do process service with the bulk of the papers that I serve having something to do with renters! I would approach it another way and that would be the fact that you have renters rights! Even if it is his family that owns the complex you have a legal and binding contract with them and if a "tenant" weather it is their family, or not, is causing you concern, and maybe even frieghtens you, they are legally bound to do something about it or you may be able to take steps to get out of your lease. Are you close, or friendly with any of the other neighbors? If so maybe ask them their opinion on the subject and if there are others that feel the same the stronger your case! I would say that at thisnpoint in time there is nothing that the police, or sheriffs, can do. I know we have a local mandate about trash in your yard, porch area, as well as a mandate about lawns getting to long! If there is something like that in your town you may have an avenue there. Good luck and one piece of actual advice I can give is to always be alert as it seems you have.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I would call the local housing authority. Find out what what laws protect you from an unsanitary neighbor. If his patio is getting filthy his house probably is too. They might be able to help you with that route.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I would call the local housing authority. Find out what what laws protect you from an unsanitary neighbor. If his patio is getting filthy his house probably is too. They might be able to help you with that route.

The (federal) Housing Authority usually has nothing to do with a situation involving private property. Their jurisdiction is generally limited to the public housing units that they control.

I think what the poster was thinking of would be your local Code Enforcement department--as in the local government office that enforces sanitation and other regulations that affect neighborhoods. Depending on your local laws, since the property you described as a condo, the onus may be on the HOA (Homeowners' Association), whether they like it or not, since the condo property may be considered "private property" and that may affect how much the government agency can get involved.

I recommend you keep a detailed written record of what occurs, and update the HOA and building management. If the HOA has not informed the owner of the unit of what is going on IN WRITING, insist that they do so at once, and ask that you receive a copy of any correspondence to the owner of the subject unit. If you have not already familiarized yourself with the regulations in the CC&R's for your condo development, do so, as you can then cite the specific provisions that are being violated, and see what penalties, if any, are in place to deal with problems.

My frame of reference is having served on the HOA board of a condo for the last 6 years.

Good luck.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Definately follow the advice of the PsyD student! I'm an RN and have spent a number of years working in Psychiatric wards. While laws seem to vary state-to-state and country-to-country, there DOES seem to be some that are commonly shared.

It shouldn't really matter if the neighbor is harming you, himself or anyone else. It really isn't about whether he has commited a crime at this point, if you feel that his behavior is so erratic that it threatens your personal safety, you have the right to report it.
    Any of the behaviors you have listed point in the direction of mental instability and whilst psychiatric illnesses can be well controlled, often it doesn't take long for the negative issues to come to a head once the person "forgets" (or ceases) to take his/her med's.

My advice would be to watch out for any further examples of this behavior and then call the police to have them check the situation out. If they believe that your neighbour would be better off being seen by a medical (psychiatric) professional, they will take them in.

Sometimes this is just stuff that has to happen. It's not really anyone's fault. If the family were keeping a closer eye on your neighbour, this likely wouldn't have been going on quite as long.

I hope you can get it sorted out so you feel safer living in your complex! Good Luck!