HRM vs MFP database.......why so close and than so far?

Options
I really need someone to help me figure out this HRM numbers issue. Wore it for 2 exercises today. The first being the bike. I did a 5k in 15 minutes. So thats 12 mph. My HRM says I did 331 calories. MFP say 311. So thats close. Then I did a mile on the treadmill. HRM says 445 cal in the 21min. thats about a 2.5mph pace. There was a kick to 3.5 and 4.0 towards the end but only for a few seconds. Now, MFP says 181 cal. Even if I choose the 3.0 option which is high, it says 200. Why is the walk so far off while the bike is just about right on?

Now, I know that the HRM will estimate high but why the vast spread from bike to run? Same app on the phone. I can show the graphs if people need.

Replies

• peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    bump for some views today. Just looking for a more accurate way to log. Thoughts?
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    HRM's don't know crap. Do your research !
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    What kind of HRM do you use? I have a Polar FT4 that comes with a band and usually it's pretty close to the number on MFP. That HRM is attached to me and MFP is an estimate based on what you weigh. I typically trust my HRM, but I've heard the accurate number is somewhere in between the two. I also don't eat back all of my exercise calories to prepare for the +/- factor.

Does yours have a band or is it just the watch?
  • peeaanuut
    Options
    HRM's don't know crap. Do your research !

thanks for 1, not reading the original post and 2 for that such informative way you responded. All the hype, none of the substance.

hanna:
    I use the polar bluetooth HRM that links to my iPhone. Its the band like you would use with the FT4 but just not locked to a watch. I have used the Polar app and am currently using digifit. They are nearly the same as far as calories showed burned so I know its not the software with a wierd algorithem. But what trips me out is its so close on the bike and so far apart on the walking. I figure if its off, it should be way off and then I can factor that in. But with numbers flying all over, its hard to find a factor to work with.
  • hannamarie88
    Options
    Also -- MFP cannot tell how much energy you exerted doing the exercise and your HRM can. You don't have to use the MFP numbers, you can input your own. That's what I do, especially for the exercises where it does not even have a choice.
  • peeaanuut
    Options
    Also -- MFP cannot tell how much energy you exerted doing the exercise and your HRM can. You don't have to use the MFP numbers, you can input your own. That's what I do, especially for the exercises where it does not even have a choice.

thats my issue. if the HRM was always 20-30% over, then I would cut it down to about 10% over MFP. But its all over the place. lol

I almost never eat back my exercise calories, so its sort of a moot point overall. I just wondered why it was all over the place. Ill find out tonight with my rowing/cross fit class and see what it says compared to MFP and see how far I am off.

Thanks for the thoughts.
  • hannamarie88
    Options

thats my issue. if the HRM was always 20-30% over, then I would cut it down to about 10% over MFP. But its all over the place. lol

I almost never eat back my exercise calories, so its sort of a moot point overall. I just wondered why it was all over the place. Ill find out tonight with my rowing/cross fit class and see what it says compared to MFP and see how far I am off.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Agh. I wrote a post and it didn't post. Frustrating.

I think it's a lot to do with the amount of energy you expend while exercising. That's a huge variable and might be throwing the numbers -- especially if you cranked it up to 4 for awhile and tried logging it in MFP as 2.

Like you said though, since you don't eat them back it's a rather moot point, but I understand your desire to know. I guess it's nice to be able to get at least close to knowing how much you are burning off as long as you are cautious of the numbers.

Hope I helped a little! I only got mine July 5th, so I'm still learning with it.
  • IdRatherBeReading
    IdRatherBeReading Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to figure this stuff out too, lol. I have a Polar FT7 and then I use the MapMyRun app on my Android to track distance. I did a 4.06 mile fast walk/light jog in 1hr 16 mins a few days ago and MFP and MMR both said around 280 calories burned, but HRM said 771. That's a HUGE difference. Do I trust the HRM numbers?
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    This might be a "duh" question, but you did clear the calorie counter after the bike ride, right? so it's not adding both together?

Make sure your HRM is plush against your chest on tight, if it's bouncing around it may not get an accurate read. also, have you doctor test your blood pressure, if it's high your heart rate might be high when exercising. my HRM is generally on target with what website calcs/MFP have told me within 0-50 calorie range
  • peeaanuut
    Options
    This might be a "duh" question, but you did clear the calorie counter after the bike ride, right? so it's not adding both together?

Make sure your HRM is plush against your chest on tight, if it's bouncing around it may not get an accurate read. also, have you doctor test your blood pressure, if it's high your heart rate might be high when exercising. my HRM is generally on target with what website calcs/MFP have told me within 0-50 calorie range

the bike was cleared of data, but I only pulled distance and time form it. Heart rate info came from the Polar monitor to the phone. Its pretty tight on my skin, doesnt move around like I thought it would. Blood pressure is fine according to the last check, but I cant tell you what it was. I know it was within range, but on the high side of that range.

of if that first question was about how I log, yes, it only logged the bike info on MFP one time. No doubling up for me. I dont wear my fitbit when I am on the bike either.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Out of experience, I'm incredulous about the HRM figure. 445 cals for 21 min of walking (2.5 mph) sounds very unlikely, that would be more than 1270 cals per hour. I know no activity that burns that much energy, the highest values per hour are around the 600-700 mark, and walking is not a high-calorie burning activity.

Granted this depends on weight and may be different for me than you, but I think not by as much.

The HRM estimates calories based on your heart rate and other paramters ( age, weight). So maybe your heart rate reading was especially high because it was still elevated after the bicycle, but Stil....

I go with karahjoy, maybe the HRM didn't properly reset between activities.

Just try the walking routine again and compare.
  • peeaanuut
    Options
    I thought that too, Im gonna have to do it in reverse order next time and see if the data stays the same or swaps places. I know the walking one was just way too high. It just couldnt be what it said it was. I mean, Im a big dude and would love the extra calories, but not that way. lol
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    I hadn't read that when I posted. I understand that you didn't wear the HRM while on the stationary bike.
    Okay, still question, are you sure it was reset when you put it onfor the treadmill?

If it was... As I said, the figure is so unlikely that I would suspect the thing is broken.

Test it.
    Wear it more often for similar activities, write down results and compare.
    Do also wear it on the bike to see what it says then, relative to the bike's own estimate.
    Make sure it is always reset when it starts.

Are the results consistent or all over the place?

Btw: i don't know your full weight but I guess i'm much smaller than you at 66 kg. okay.i would never, ever burn even 200 kcals in 20 minutes of walking, only in fairly fast running. Now I think that difference may be due to weight and age.i can believe 200,but not 445.
  • peeaanuut
    Options
    oh ok. Lets start this again.

the device is the bluetooth polar to my phone. Each activity is logged in its own log. It is not continuous. My stats are 378 lbs and 5'10" male

So here is the stationary bike - big spike was the push in the final k

ONwpRacl.png
    qMEcP1Jl.png

and here is the treadmill the 2 larger spikes are moments when I sped up to 3.5 and than 4.0

8Fqjk1Kl.png
    IijK7ETl.png
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    Ok, great graphical representation! As I said... Try again, compare the screenshots or write it down, see whether it's consistent.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I agree that something isn't making sense.

I can't imagine that a 21 minute walk at mostly 2.5 mph would ever equal that amount of calories burned. (I mean, I see that is what it is telling you, it just doesn't make mathematical sense to me).

I plugged your weight and # of minutes into the calculator on SparkPeople.com. I know it isn't completely accurate, because it would vary depending on you being a guy, body comp, etc. but it gave a value of 142 calories burned in 21 minutes, at 2.5 mph. Even if that gets bumped up because you increased the speed a bit, it wouldn't increase THAT much. 445 just seems crazy high, but I don't know how to explain why it would be that far off.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    Old thread, has anything new come of it? Peeaanuut, have you done more measurements?

I have to correct myself. Doing rope jumping, my HRM says that I can burn 70 calories in 5 min 15. That would make 1333 calories per hour, I didn't think there was an activity that could burn that much.

Granted this: average heart rate during those 5 minutes was 178 -- close to absolute max. That may have caused the high reading. And on the other hand, precisely because I do it at close to max heartrate, i.e. close to maximum effort, I can't imagine doing it for an hour.

But your heartrate wasn't that high... I'd really be curious what the thing does in repeated experiments.
  • peeaanuut
    Options
    ok, I ran another test on a different exercise. I wore the HRM during my rowing/crosstraining class. It lasts about an hour. HRM said 1090 calories and MFP says 1082. So its darn near close again.

g1A6aI9l.png
    E3Ecyt7l.png
    Gk0QT4Tl.png
    uuodG4Ql.png
  • peeaanuut
    Options
    i have yet to do the same 2 exercises back to back like I originally did, but tonight should be a good time to test that.
  • sirenical
    sirenical Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I suggest looking at the report of the workouts. What was your actual HR? Was it cranking for one and slow on the other? If based on your weight and your current endurance level, you worked harder to walk that distance than someone who has a greater endurance level than you even if they are the same weight, you are going to burn more calories.
    See what your HR was doing. That could give you a lot of insight.