judgement in the shopping line at walmart

Options

Replies

• MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    So me and my family stopped at walmart last night, I had some extra cals to kill, and we we're all in the mood for these heat and serve sandwiches that our walmart serves in the deli side of the store. We grabbed a few extras for lunches and i also found some frozen chinese food, and some bertollis. needless to say, our shopping cart (as a family of 6) had a good 20 or so processed meals, which id like to point out we've been avoiding buying, but i don't see the harm every once in a while.

Well we were in line, and this really fit girl turns looks at me, looks at our cart litterally rolls her eyes, whispers something to her equally as fit boyfriend he turns looks looks at her and they start laughing. i know exactly what they were thinking, she has no idea that the majority of the meals in my cart were 300-400 cals each, that they all packed enough protien to keep me full, that they were being fit into a calorie budgted meal plan and that I had saved a couple hundred calories to begin with from the day before that didn't get fully used up at a dinner party at a friends house. They were assuming that we're fat because we buy all this crap.

edit: I'd also like to point out, that I know I didn't KNOW EXACTLY what they were thinking, but I think by their actions it was still pretty apparant the over all judgement.

Then we see her outside in their truck and she lights up a cigarrette. now my question is, how come her assumption about our health is only important if it only effects the outside. Why is it only health matters and is warrant for judgement if it only effects your appearance? I don't smoke, drink, or anything else, and to be honest I have no weight related health problems, and because of my waist size am at a low risk as well. But yet people can look at me and my food and judge. This just urks me.

Before I get a whole lot of "I smoke don't judge me" I'm not. I could care less what someone else does to their bodies, my point was if I could care less about what goes in her body, why should she be able to judge me about what goes into mine?

tl;dr

Fit Girl (whispering to boyfriend): Hey, don't look now, but that family behind us has those lo mein noodle dinners that we bought last month and played 9 1/2 weeks with in the kitchen at your dad's house! Remember? OMG, I cannot believe we did that!

Fit Boyfriend (glancing at cart, turns to fit girlfriend): I know, right? We should totally get some more of those do it again! And, this time, *you* get to wear the blindfold! I was picking noodles out of my hair the rest of the night.

Fit Girl: You were not, I helped you wash them out in the shower, remember? ::winks seductively and giggles::

Fit Boyfriend: Oh, how could I forget that shower? That was the first time you let me...

~ end of scene ~

Bottom line, you're right, you have absolutely NO IDEA what they were saying. Maybe you should stop projecting your own feelings about your food onto others & stop making excuses for your food choices. Own it or don't do it.

That was my first thought. My husband and I talk and laugh in public (shocking, I know) and sometimes it IS about something in reference to someone else, but it's never ever ever mocking them. If I turned around and saw a shopping cart full of frozen Totinos I sure as heck would whisper something to my husband - that's his dream come true!!! He'd probably joke about leaving me for whoever had the cart yadda yadda. So you never know.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I wonder what people think when my GF and I, both of whom are fit and at healthy weights, are in line at Walmart holding pints of ice cream and boxes of Pop-tarts. I imagine the fatties think we have fast metabolisms and are naturally fit and toned, or something.

Once I had a cashier checking my items and she said "...you seem to have a bit of a sweet tooth?" No matter what size you are, people like to snoop in your cart.

And it doesn't matter what's in your cart!

This happened today:

I do a fruit and veggie run every few days, so I end up with a pile of produce and crap so it looks like I eat nothing but. Never mind that the time before I probably had Gelato and "unhealthy" foods piled a mile high. I've never really paid attention to people around me judging or snooping and only notice if it's really obvious. Today, it was obvious. The woman in front of me was buying one or two things, one of them being a Snickers (which *I* eat enough of that they are in my "favorites" list here, BTW). She was staring long and hard at my food. I didn't react at all, but she put back the Snickers bar and picked up one of the healthy cooking mags that was for sale. I actually felt kind of bad- Snickers are delicious!

When she paid, she looked back at me and asked how I liked the salad greens I was buying. I said I loved them and ate them all the time. She smiled and walked away. I really wish I knew what she was thinking. :smile:
  • thatsbroscience
    Options
    what kind of a degenerate buys groceries at china mart?
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm judging you for saying "Me and my family".

JK, I grew up with a grammar nazi, I CAN'T HELP IT!!!!!

...and I'm judging the Op for saying "could care less".

It's "couldn't care less". "Could care less" means just what it says...
    everyone passes judgment on something. It's just human nature.
    I'd bet dollars to donuts you judged someone today... in the car, in an aisle, on the news...
    I bet 10 people will judge this post.
    Don't sweat it.
  • miss___pretty
    Options
    hahaha thats so funny
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I'm fairly confident that the groceries don't come from China...
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

I'm fairly confident that the groceries don't come from China...

You bought seafood there lately? Just don't read the package fine print
  • Foxtrot2N
    Foxtrot2N Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate, and potaters gonna potate. Point is, who cares? If people are more interested in you then there is something lacking for them. Screw what anybody thinks about you but you.

"Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, great minds discuss ideas." Be great!!

:glasses:
  • Aliviuum
    Aliviuum Posts: 67
    Options
    Haters.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I judge people for going into a wal mart in the first place.
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    First World Problems
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Only thing I worry about at Walmart is whether or not the old people who they use as greeters are even aware where they are.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just felt bad because you were in WalMart? Every time I go into a WalMart its like visiting The Stanley Hotel. The only thing that feels normal is murder.

tumblr_mjxm8ia0lV1rrr1sso1_500.gif
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I always look at other people's carts and judge them, I don't laugh though. I just like to check out what people are eating and I'll think They're buying a lot of crap, or they are buying pretty healthy food. I wish I shopped like that.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options

actually it is either way, could care less is meant to be sarcastic.
  • sonhando
    sonhando Posts: 69 Member
    Options

I'd bet dollars to donuts you judged someone today... in the car, in an aisle, on the news...
    Don't sweat it.

I judged you for those as well... and for using "urk" instead of " irk". I bet you're judging me for being a smart a**
  • PattyJane167
    PattyJane167 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love the looks I get when I have the basket and just have some choc. syrup, cool whip, jar of cherries and a big *kitten* box of condoms ...
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I love the looks I get when I have the basket and just have some choc. syrup, cool whip, jar of cherries and a big *kitten* box of condoms ...

that's awesome :flowerforyou: if I saw that in your cart I may have to leave the line and grab some to :laugh:
  • operation_cute
    Options

Don't sweat it.

I judged you for those as well... and for using "urk" instead of " irk". I bet you're judging me for being a smart a**

I was waiting on this... Seems like whenever everything else was criticized in a post, spelling and grammar start getting thrown into the mix... but see this doesn't bother me, because I didn't post this to an english class professor :flowerforyou:

edit: oh and punctuation, still waiting on that... which i'm sure there is plenty to find considering some of the keys are a little iffy when I click on them, in particular my shift key recently :tongue:
  • operation_cute
    Options

actually it is either way, could care less is meant to be sarcastic.

I like you :flowerforyou: