90 minute Q&A - All fitness and weight loss related please

Options

Replies

• mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    For 9 months, I stuck to pretty rigidly to 1200 calories a day and consistently lost 1lb a week. At almost my target weight, I got a Fitbit which started crediting me with extra calories for all the activity I did during the day (just walking around, housework etc cos, at that point, I wasn't working out) and I stopped losing weight. I've since started working out and am burning about 500 calories a day through activity........so, if I continue to want to lose weight, should I stick to consuming 1200 calories, even if I'm burning an additional 500 calories per day as this gives me a Net Calorie Intake of 700 cals - is this safe? I'm pretty confused - it was easy when I wasn't working out and was completely inactive!!! It has been weeks since I've lost anything, however, this could also be muscle gain, right?

I'd remove yourself from the neurotic concern about the right calories intake.

Try this.

Start at 10 cals/lb

Then adjust accordingly based on what's happening.

People bombard me with questions claiming, "I eat XXXX cals per day and I burn XXX cals per day and I want to lose XX lbs... is that calorie intake right?"

Here's the problem. People have an idea of what they're spending and what they're eating... but that idea isn't fixed. It varies by the day. And even without the variability, the accuracy of most peoples' estimates are suspect at best. Very few people are meticulously tracking with a digital food scale and we even have research showing the dietitians have a very hard time assessing their intake.

Point is, throwing all of these numbers out there does little. It's about a process of fine tuning your intake based on how your body's responding.

Check this out:

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat#calories

I suggest the entire article, which is really a book, but this part specifically applies to your question.

^^ This is exceptional information ^^
    Couldn't agree more. Do you think it could possibly stop all the insane arguing about 1200 cals vs tdee and eating back cals vs not?

I have no questions for you at this round, but I'm learning a lot just reading those to others. Thanks for doing this!
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Tagging for later
  • SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Loving all these Answers
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbee but I bet that you have a lot of heavier muscle mass rather than fat, we don't want to lose that muscle.

Sorry, I don't follow. Are you asking a question?
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Ohhh, I'll go, I'll go! Although I'm pretty sure 90 minutes is already up. :smile:

Hopefully this will be quick. When you talk about "lean people getting leaner" what exactly does that mean? I'm 122lb and 26% bodyfat (Dexa scan). Oh and I'm 5'6". I'm having a hell of a time seeing significant changes and I've been at this since late April (at this means watching my cals and lifting heavy). I feel like I have enough body fat so that changes should come a little faster. I don't think I count as "lean people getting leaner" correct?

Thanks!

Very fair question.

Sub 12% for men and sub 20% for women in my experience, but your mileage may vary. And it's definitely not an on/off switch... there's a continuum at play as our bodies adapt to leanness.

Another point worth mentioning is the idea that sometimes more and more fat loss isn't the answer. Of course it depends on goals, but assuming you're out to maximize your sexification, lol, you need to have a decent base of muscle. For women, that's ordinarily what gives them the curves they're after.

If that base isn't there, fat loss will only take you so far. Of course I'm speaking generally here as I don't know your physique. But it's something to keep in mind for sure.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. Do you think it could possibly stop all the insane arguing about 1200 cals vs tdee and eating back cals vs not?

Nope.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you for all this information and links. I'm going to go read your articles now. :flowerforyou:
  • VicPuff
    VicPuff Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, I'll go, I'll go! Although I'm pretty sure 90 minutes is already up. :smile:

Hopefully this will be quick. When you talk about "lean people getting leaner" what exactly does that mean? I'm 122lb and 26% bodyfat (Dexa scan). Oh and I'm 5'6". I'm having a hell of a time seeing significant changes and I've been at this since late April (at this means watching my cals and lifting heavy). I feel like I have enough body fat so that changes should come a little faster. I don't think I count as "lean people getting leaner" correct?

Thanks!

Very fair question.

Sub 12% for men and sub 20% for women in my experience, but your mileage may vary. And it's definitely not an on/off switch... there's a continuum at play as our bodies adapt to leanness.

Another point worth mentioning is the idea that sometimes more and more fat loss isn't the answer. Of course it depends on goals, but assuming you're out to maximize your sexification, lol, you need to have a decent base of muscle. For women, that's ordinarily what gives them the curves they're after.

If that base isn't there, fat loss will only take you so far. Of course I'm speaking generally here as I don't know your physique. But it's something to keep in mind for sure.

Thank you very much!! Really appreciate all of the information you provide. When I first joined MFP, I read your posts and then spent hours on your website. Thank you!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Wow thank you for all this information and links. I'm going to go read your articles now. :flowerforyou:

You're welcome.
  • stroutman81
    Options

Thanks!

Very fair question.

Thank you very much!! Really appreciate all of the information you provide. When I first joined MFP, I read your posts and then spent hours on your website. Thank you!

Well I really do appreciate you investing time into reading my stuff.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Tagging to watch what happens w/the Fitness Instructor. I hope he has time to follow up on this thread :wink:

....am not an instructor...however, I do workout about the same number of workouts...
  • Aliviuum
    Aliviuum Posts: 67
    Options
    trolling
  • otalip
    otalip Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just joined a week ago i planned to loose 2lbs and have been eating all my calories including my exercise calories and only lost .8lbs is there someone who can look at my food diary and help me figure it out...what am i doing wrong . I did notice my sodium is high. but I am drinking alot of water and excising every single day
  • twinmoon
    twinmoon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read answers and links. Thanks!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Lots of great stuff in here! Thanks!
  • buttshrink
    buttshrink Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bumping for reference:drinker:
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Bump