Seeking beginning strength program suggestions

Options
13»

Replies

• Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to accomplish, in order of importance, with your training program?

I think one should answer this before choosing a program.

I'm trying to add muscle and strength, and a little sculpting.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to accomplish, in order of importance, with your training program?

I think one should answer this before choosing a program.

I'm trying to add muscle and strength, and a little sculpting.

If you are more concerned with physique I would recommend All-Pro's:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

If you are more concerned with strength gains I would choose Starting Strength.

Assuming proper diet you will make progress in both metrics with both programs, but All Pros operates in more of a hypertrophy range and SS is more of a strength program.

So while both will get the job done, it would make sense to choose the one that fits your goals.
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Okay, I was leaning toward starting strength anyway so that's what I'll do. Thanks everyone for your time, it's greatly appreciated. :)
  • goldylocs37
    goldylocs37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Saving to read opinions as well.
  • rainavsfood
    rainavsfood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm in my LAST week of P90X & I love it! It's completely transformed my body! Weird thing is, people thing you have to be 'in shape' to do this workout... But that's completely not true! They provide modified moves & tell you to 'push pause' if you need it... You can go at your own pace. I love it!

:flowerforyou: Best of luck!
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    I've been doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer, it's a 3 phase-12 week program, that has been working well for me so far. It's a free program with weekly videos, nutrition advice and meal planning, and a workout schedule that you can upload to your calendar.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

I checked this out, and it's a great split program for sure. I love the bb.com workouts and I'll eventually move from full body to split programs. Thanks for linking this one. I bookmarked it for the future. :)
  • l0vedim0
    l0vedim0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    SS and 5x5 are both great. I recently did the 5x5 routine for a few months and loved it. I'm currently doing a rest-pause routine which keeps my hr up through the entire session. I'm also on bb.com with the same username. Good luck on your fitness goals.
  • sarahruizfitnessjourney
    Options
    bump