Homemade Protein Bars?

Options
vienna_h
vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
Anyone have recipes to make homemade protein bars?

Replies

• vienna_h
    Options
    and if you could include the grams of protein per serving that would be great :)
  • MissLiss1979
    MissLiss1979 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am really interested in a good recipe too!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Anyone have recipes to make homemade protein bars?

1 skinless chicken breast
    drizzle olive oil
    salt
    pepper
    garlic 1-2 cloves, crushed

Method:
    apply crushed garlic to chicken breast and leave refrigerated for one hour.
    Heat grill and grill chicken breast with a little olive oil until done.
    Refrigerate chicken breast
    Cut chicken breast into rectangular 'bar' shaped portions.
    Enjoy!

Use the MFP food database to calculate your macros.
  • vienna_h
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. I don't eat chicken though, but hopefully someone else will find that recipe useful ;)

(Yes, I know, its weird to not eat chicken. I had a traumatizing experience and will never be able to eat it again. Otherwise, I'm not picky!)
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Covered Katie has one on her website that's super yummy and is peanut butter based. They're like a dessert.

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/04/04/homemade-peanut-butter-protein-bars/
  • brittfj
    brittfj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has some good recipes for protein bars.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
  • RTDice
    RTDice Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Link hoarde!

~ Protein POW (entire website dedicated to protein powder cooking): http://www.proteinpow.com/
    ~ Made with ground nuts, can make chocolate topping also, no-bake... reminds me of cookie dough, my absolute favourite: http://wholenewmom.com/whole-new-budget/homemade-protein-bars/
    ~ Sweet and delicious for those that needs carbs but are not used to protein taste or want something tasty, my other favourite: http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-cinnamon-chocolate-chip-protein-bars/
    ~ Simple, few-ingredient protein bars: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/diy-protein-bars-healthy-bars-in-5-easy-steps.html
    ~ Another simple bar inspired by Quest bars: http://www.epicureanbb.com/post/25639748042/vanillaalmondproteinbar
    ~ Choco-Coconut... never tried but looks DELICIOUS!: http://thebettyrocker.com/chocolate-peanut-butter-protein-bars/
    ~ Protein cookie dough... website also has a "Chubby Hubby" and Cookie Dough protein bar recipe: http://dessertswithbenefits.com/chocolate-chip-cookie-dough/

I also made a personal recipe...
    Ingredients:
    1 scoop protein powder (I use chocolate whey, just adjust liquid ratio if using other type)
    1/2 cup almond flour (1/4 cup makes it less tasty but still adds flavour... could probably use coconut flour, too)
    1/4 cup Almond milk (can sub regular or coconut milk, I guess... never tried)
    (Opt.) choco/carob chips, walnuts, Tbsp of cocoa powder is using vanilla/unflavored protein powder or want an extra chocolate bost

Directions:
    - Mix protein powder and almond flour together in small bowl, slowly adding milk until you get a batter-like consistency.
    - Refrigerate for at least 2 hrs for it to become solid enough to eat.

This recipe provides you like 50% of your fat requirements and I'd guess two servings, just be weary of that. But after the first taste it does really resemble brownie batter, with no added sugar and other crud! Yum yum. (:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I make protein "balls". But I guess you could make it into a soft bar.

I tend to measure anything and it changes a bit each time I make it, but overall:

Half a cup peanutbutter (if you warm it a bit it makes this so much easier to mix)

Half a cup old fashion oats

1 protein powder

1/8 cup shredded coconut (optional)

You can end it there and just roll them into balls and put in the freezer for 20 minutes or so to set, or you can go crazy. I add chia seeds and or flax. Chocolate chips, died chopped up fruit... Whatever strikes my fancy. Or if I don't want the oats, I can do without those on it, but I think it makes it a better consistency.
  • softballislife7
    softballislife7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    2 cups corn flakes
    1/4 cup butter 
    1/3 cup peanut butter
     1/4 cup honey 
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    3/4 cup whole wheat flour 

Filling 
    1 cup yogurt 
    1 lightly beaten egg 
    2 tablespoons whole wheat flour 

Preheat oven 350 Mix all the ingrediants untiluntil well blended crunching the flakes down with the bottom of your spoon. Then mix all filling ingredient s in another bowl. Press half of corn flake mixture into botom of an 8x8 lightly oiled pan. Then put filling on top "sprinkkle" second half of corn flake mixture on top of the yogurt mixture. Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes untill golden brown.Let cool then cut into 8 bars.

They are more of a breakfast bar but provide 12 grams of protien. You can use any flavor of yogurt you want.
  • dixielawgirl
    dixielawgirl Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DucksandOranges
    DucksandOranges Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    These are the best. I've made them many times with many variations. I usually add more soy protein powder than she calls for and it works just fine. She also has a coconut oil version. I subbed coconut oil for TJs agave/maple syrup once when I ran out and it worked well, hardens up a little better.

http://www.averiecooks.com/2010/01/vegan-peanut-butter-choc-chip-protein.html
  • go_iris
    go_iris Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've got one ! Adjust ingredients to your liking and macro/cal requirements

4 scoops whey protein
    5 tablespoons of peanut butter
    2 cups of oats (I use oat bran)
    1/2 cup water (you can use milk products but then you can't keep them out and must be in the fridge or you'll get sick)

mash and place into a tray - put in fridge for a few hours or freezer for 30 minutes.

chop into however many pieces you want.

total breakdown (for mine and what I use):
    Calories 2,029
    Total Fat 75 g
    Saturated 16 g
    Total Carbs 176 g
    Dietary Fiber 38 g
    Protein 163 g
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say it is 12 grams per bar. Calories were 312 per bar.
    2 cups corn flakes
    1/4 cup butter 
    1/3 cup peanut butter
     1/4 cup honey 
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    3/4 cup whole wheat flour 

Filling 
    1 cup yogurt 
    1 lightly beaten egg 
    2 tablespoons whole wheat flour 

Preheat oven 350 Mix all the ingrediants untiluntil well blended crunching the flakes down with the bottom of your spoon. Then mix all filling ingredient s in another bowl. Press half of corn flake mixture into botom of an 8x8 lightly oiled pan. Then put filling on top "sprinkkle" second half of corn flake mixture on top of the yogurt mixture. Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes untill golden brown.Let cool then cut into 8 bars.

They are more of a breakfast bar but provide 12 grams of protien. You can use any flavor of yogurt you want.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. I don't eat chicken though, but hopefully someone else will find that recipe useful ;)

(Yes, I know, its weird to not eat chicken. I had a traumatizing experience and will never be able to eat it again. Otherwise, I'm not picky!)

No problem. My recipe was a little tongue-in-cheek.
    I'm not a fan of protein powder/protein bar and other supplements as I like to get my nutrients directly from good quality food.
    But if it works for you then go for it.
    All the best,

Ben
  • vienna_h
    Options

No problem. My recipe was a little tongue-in-cheek.
    I'm not a fan of protein powder/protein bar and other supplements as I like to get my nutrients directly from good quality food.
    But if it works for you then go for it.
    All the best,

Ben

Due to my complete refusal to ever eat chicken, and general dislike of eating meat (I'm not vegetarian, I eat meat, just not a lot of it, and I don't really like eggs or dairy either), I don't even close to my protein requirements without protein shakes! So as much as I'd like to get my protein from food, it's not gonna happen for me! But as I said, others might like to be reminded to just eat chicken, in bar shape or not.

Edit: ok, maybe I am picky :P