I've been stuck on this plateau for months!!

Options
Hi guys. This is my first post here, though I've been using MFP for almost two years. I find the whole thing a little embarrassing, but I could really use some advice/feedback. I hit a plateau, and hard.

Last year, after some very successful MFP-ing, I weighed 134# at 5'8", 6# from my original goal, but I was being told I was getting too skinny (by people who don't toss that out lightly), so I decided to start working toward building muscle instead. At that time, I was doing the elliptical for 60 minutes/good resistance 5-6 times a week, plus a few weight machines 2-3 times a week, and plenty of walking.

Now, my workout is much more varied: in a week, I bike 5 miles x 5 times, run 3.5 miles x 3 times (I increase this by 5% each week), do the elliptical at least once for old time's sake, take 2-3 weight classes, and some pilates/yoga for good measure. That, plus a harsh winter, monthly drinking parties, and overall less vegetables (~_~), put me at 142#. I've been trying to get it off--no alcohol, more veggies, cutting calories--but I can't seem to do more than fluctuate between 139# and 142#, whether I aim for 250 or 1,000 calorie deficit. (I cook and weigh all my food, so I know I'm being accurate!)

I have a scale that measures BFP, but they are notoriously inaccurate. I also never bothered to measure myself before, so all I have to go on are my measurements from a few months ago. I posted pics so what do you think? Is any of that 8# muscle or is it all vodka and post-drinking croissants that will haunt me forever?

Please help!!!

Pic: http://happytofu.net/images/whyyy.jpg

Replies

• RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Google "tanita scale" & find a clinic or some sort of business that has one. It's very accurate and will tell you everything you need to know. My money is you're at your ideal weight & it's muscle. And congratulations on your accomplishment!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are at your perfect weight.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Where exactly do you think the weight is going to come from? You look great. Keep doing what you are doing and don't weigh yourself!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'd agree, when you get to goal weight it's really about macro balancing and increasing weight training and setting new athletic goals. I couldn't see the picture but I'm sure you don't need to fret about those few pounds. Just push yourself athletically and see gradual results. You don't have to kill yourself over it, just stay consistent and challenge yourself constantly.
  • Happytofu
    Happytofu Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I was worried that focusing on the scale too much was effing me up, but I also keep reading that women gain muscle incredibly slowly, plus biking/running are especially notorious for *decreasing* muscle, so that's why I feel like I should still fight my way back to the mid-130's.
  • jackdub1
    jackdub1 Posts: 24
    Options
    I was on my plateau for about 2 months and got told to up my calories so i did and i just lost 7 pounds :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I was worried that focusing on the scale too much was effing me up, but I also keep reading that women gain muscle incredibly slowly, plus biking/running are especially notorious for *decreasing* muscle, so that's why I feel like I should still fight my way back to the mid-130's.

If you lose more weight then some of that weight will be muscle. If you are concerned about preserving muscle, then that is an entirely different goal with different strategies than just losing weight and that number on the scale. So you have to really clarify what your goal is. To gain muscle you would have to eat at a surplus (to actually build more muscle fiber) and likely gain scale weight.... to preserve the muscle you have and strengthen it is a different goal, that may also result in more scale weight. Have you considered focusing on body fat % instead of the scale?