Eggplant - A delicious enigma

Options
2»

Replies

• Raevyns
    Raevyns Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    A great easy way to prepare them is to prick it and pop it on a baking try and then in the oven whole. Roast it dry with no oil or salt or anything for 20 minutes on about 180o. I.e. long enough for it to get a little black but not collapse. (If i was making baba ganoush with it I would wait till the collapse stage.)
    Take it out of the over and being careful of your fingers (s it is super hot) wrap cling wrap around it. Leave for 15 minutes.

After this the skin will remove easily and then you can dice for salad or stir though some tomato puree and other roasted veg for a really light delicious side dish.

A favourite in my house is to mix with zucchini, onion, mushrooms and tomato with ground cumin, coriander seed, paprika etc and warm through. Usually i serve it with homemade kofta's or grilled meat.

Next time, Gadget!
  • kellyr730
    kellyr730 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just had eggplant for dinner tonight! I always slice them thin, dip in egg white mixed iwth a tiny bit of milk, then in bread crumbs (italian style is good). Spray a grill pan with some olive oil then bake them at 400 for about 20 minutes, flip and bake the other side another 15 or so til they're crispy. Then dip them in marinara sauce! SOOOO good!! :)
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    As the first person said, I just slice em up, throw a lil salt and pepper on them, and either broil or grill them. So delicious and simple, and healthy! Used to hate it, but it is now one of my favs!!!
  • TotalPackageLive
    TotalPackageLive Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    these recipes sound deliciious! I will try that next week for dinner. I never salted my eggplant and it always comes out delicious. I sauted eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, and onions in my wok, using sesame oil. Then light glazed it in sesame teriakyi sauce. Everyone loved it, even all my non-veggie friendly guest.
  • jasonsoucy
    Options
    Eggplant parmesan is my go-to eggplant recipe. It's quick, simple, and healthy for being so hearty. I choose to lightly bread and bake my eggplant rounds rather than fry them. And if I'm feeling ducky, I'll make a homemade marinara to replace any jarred substitute. Huge hit in my family; we eat it at least twice a month and always end up with leftovers.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I simply slice mine, spray with olive oil and toast in the oven on both sides and then use them for a pizza crust!! Way cool to sneak in something you miss. And this makes them "personal pizzas" for everyone.
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I like to peel my eggplant, cut it into cubes and put in a baking dish with some chopped onions, drizzle a little olive oil over the top, sprinkle with a little salt, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary, and bake in the oven. When it's done, sprinkle a little parmesean over the top. DELISH!