I'll never understand.......

Options
nyla2120
nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
Why people insist on getting on the machine right next to you when there are literally 30 other treadmills/ellipticals open. Why???? So annoying!!!! :sad:

Replies

• mkshortall
    mkshortall Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    guess they want to race!
  • nyla2120
    Options
    guess they want to race!

Sometimes I wonder lol!
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Because it's irritating to come in and find every OTHER machine taken up when you are trying to work out with a friend. I thank the people that get on them in a line because it's polite to those who need motivation.
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    That's almost as irrating as being a man in the bathroom and there are a line of urinals on the wall and a guy comes up to the one right beside you. Like wtf man!?!?!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I prefer to use the same one every time if possible because the resistance is set a little bit differently on each one, and I can track how hard I'm working better if the baseline is consistent. If this means that "my" machine is right next to someone else, oh well. It's nothing personal.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Because it's irritating to come in and find every OTHER machine taken up when you are trying to work out with a friend. I thank the people that get on them in a line because it's polite to those who need motivation.

I'm talking about at 5;30am-6am with an empty gym. If the gym is mostly full I can totally understand & wouldn't mind. But in an almost empty gym? No way!
  • nyla2120
    Options
    That's almost as irrating as being a man in the bathroom and there are a line of urinals on the wall and a guy comes up to the one right beside you. Like wtf man!?!?!

Talk about uncomfortable.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    I prefer to use the same one every time if possible because the resistance is set a little bit differently on each one, and I can track how hard I'm working better if the baseline is consistent. If this means that "my" machine is right next to someone else, oh well. It's nothing personal.

If there is a logical reason behind it then it's all good.
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    maybe it's because they have a favorite machine and you happen to be on the one next to it and they won't even notice you. I'm fine as long as they don't have really bad bo or farts.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    maybe it's because they have a favorite machine and you happen to be on the one next to it and they won't even notice you. I'm fine as long as they don't have really bad bo or farts.

ROTFLMAO! That's fair.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    guess they want to race!

Or flirt.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Pack mentality - Apparently only a few have evolved from it. At the beach -HUGE beach - I'm the only one there at 6:30am (go figure) family of 5 arrives - where do they sit - right next to me, up wind and then start spraying sunscreen and changing diapers. W.T.F ? OK, I'll just be going now...you all have a great day - oh yah - it's low tide, so don't get too comfortable in this spot, the tides coming in.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Pack mentality - Apparently only a few have evolved from it. At the beach -HUGE beach - I'm the only one there at 6:30am (go figure) family of 5 arrives - where do they sit - right next to me, up wind and then start spraying sunscreen and changing diapers. W.T.F ? OK, I'll just be going now...you all have a great day - oh yah - it's low tide, so don't get too comfortable in this spot, the tides coming in.

LOL I know! It's like a park full of empty benches & someone comes to sit on yours. Sometimes I want to get off & move a few machines down, but I don't want to be rude. I just like my space.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    guess they want to race!

Or flirt.

LOL good luck with that! I never talk to people at the gym. I'm there to workout, not make friends. When I see someone trying to make eye contact & initiate conversation, I look right through them & keep it moving.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Herding instinct.

Same reason cars travel in packs. You ever notice that? There will be a large bunch of cars together, then you get through and a large space, then another pack. I'm not a herder, more of a loaner. So, I hate that stuff. But, most people are comforted by people around them. I think they do it without even realizing they are doing it.

That's possible & I know exactly what you are talking about. But, I'm more like you. I'm a total loaner. I like my space & I don't like strangers trying to chat with my etc. I need my space. If I could afford a home gym I would totally have one so I don't even have this issue. Maybe when I win the lottery.....
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My daughter and baby grandson having lunch yesterday with her two friends. Apart from them, the restaurant is empty - plenty of space. Man comes in and parks himself at the next door table, almost blocking the pushchair :noway:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Urinal rules are rules 4 lyfe. :glasses:

I don't understand the need to go be next to some stranger if I didn't have to be, but I'm not a people person.
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    guess they want to race!

Or flirt.

LOL good luck with that! I never talk to people at the gym. I'm there to workout, not make friends. When I see someone trying to make eye contact & initiate conversation, I look right through them & keep it moving.

Cold hearted.......I would prob be a victim b/c you are.....well I don't need to tell you. You know how you look.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options

Oh, so it is wrong to check out the comp now...