Are we supposed to eat exercise cals?

Options
2»

Replies

• amyqp
    amyqp Posts: 2
    Options
    So there's no way to enter the fact that you're doing exercise and then not have that included in calories you're allowed to eat? Because I'm losing absolutely nothing and I'm entering everything I eat. All I can see I'm doing wrong is that on days I exercise a lot, I end up eating 1400 or 1600 calories because the *$# program allows me to do so.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    So there's no way to enter the fact that you're doing exercise and then not have that included in calories you're allowed to eat? Because I'm losing absolutely nothing and I'm entering everything I eat. All I can see I'm doing wrong is that on days I exercise a lot, I end up eating 1400 or 1600 calories because the *$# program allows me to do so.
    You can set custom calorie goals or change the amount of calories burned during exercise. If you're working out without an HRM, it's just an estimate of calories burned anyway, so it may be off.

Choose a calorie goal. Say, 1500. Eat that amount every day. Do that for 4-6 weeks. Weigh/log everything you eat. Everything. At the end of 6 weeks, reassess.
  • Emilygracemcmullen
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone :) I think I will just up my acivity as i guess im not completely sedentry :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Ive asked this question before but no one answers me-I just keep trying-why would you eat you exercise cals back, I mean aren't we exercising to burn calories? Isn't the reason most of us are here is due to being fat caused by too many calories? Why exercise in the first place if all your going to do is put the cals back in?
    Please no snotty replies, this is a serious question that I would really like answered since I just don't get it
    Thanks

Sorry, it wasn't my day to answer. Seriously, this topic is on the boards EVERY SINGLE DAY. And it is answered in the "Links in MFP you'll want to read" thread.
    OP. Eat at least a portion of them back or eventually the weight loss will stop. These are goals, to hit, not limits. The name of the game isn't "eat as little as possible and still lose." It's more "still lose without starving yourself and eating well."

THIS^^^

Why the h. e. double. toothpicks. does everybody want to freaking starve themselves?
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I do...except when i dont .

And you should. Unless you shouldnt.
  • sr_erick
    sr_erick Posts: 25
    Options
    I might be wrong but I've been told by many people that by eating back your exercise calories you are just maintaining your weight. If you want to lose don't eat them back.

Yes you are completely wrong, whoever is telling you this fails to understand basic maths.

MFP works out your deficit without any exercise, for every 1lb/week loss you set as a target MFP subtracts 500 calories a day from your estimated maintenance calories. This is your deficit to lose weight - burning calories through exercise increases your deficit but too big a deficit can be counter productive.

Exercise for health and fitness and eat back the calories!

This guy knows what he is talking about. It's simple, basic, math. I eat back a majority of mine although I do leave a little bit on the table to take into account variances in my food measurements. You NEED the nutrition to power your workouts. Lose fat with working out, lift weights to encourage muscle growth, eats healthy food rich in protein to replenish your body and provide nutrition for building lean muscle mass. It's a complete cycle.