bump!
  • jsimler1
    jsimler1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Zucchini bread is amazing :)
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    personally, simple is my favorite. I like to slice it add it to a hot sprayed skillet with some thinly sliced onion sprinkle with the seasoning of your choice and sautee until tender. It is also yummy kabobbed on the grill. I also like yellow squash cooked these ways and the 2 mixed together.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Bumpity! I love zucchini! I mainly just steam it or grilled it.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    This is a Rachel Ray one that's easy and super-tasty! It's in the 2-4-6-8 cookbook, I really dislike how it's arranged as it's grouped by what to serve for each grouping of people vs. listing recipes by meat, veggies, etc.. This serves 4 people.

ROASTED ZUCCHINI
    3 Zucchini (about 2 lbs.), sliced into 1 inch disks
    3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I'm sure you can use less, or more zucchini/veggies)
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    2 Large Garlic Cloves
    20 fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)

Preheat Oven to 450 degrees.

Arrange zucchini on a baking sheet and drizzle them generously with the EVOO. Season them with salt and pepper, toss to coat evenly, and roast the zucchini for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, add the garlic, toss to distribute, and then continue to roast them for another 5 minutes, or until tender. Once they are roasted, transfer zucchini to serving bowl and toss them with the chopped basil.

Expect your house to smell amazing! You can add other veggies that have the same cooking time such as sliced peppers and onions.

I second/third grilled zucchini/squash. Whenever I get together with my family to BBQ we have grilled zucchini, squash, and artichoke halves (chokes brushed with mixture of olive oil and garlic night before, they're outstanding!). Zucchini is also great with eggs for a morning scramble. BTW, if you want awesome broccoli, try it roasted with olive oil and whatever seasonings you prefer. Roasting sweetens up broccoli and it tastes almost like butter's on it but it's the roasting flavors.

BTW, my zucchini's just now flowering, I hope I get a good crop! I have 2 zucchini plants and 3 crookneck and they're way too close together. I haven't seen any bees so I'm getting nervous!
  • angelh1908
    angelh1908 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Bump! I was already planning on having zucchini tonight, so this is right on time!
  • techgeeksquared
    techgeeksquared Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I picked the first zucchini from my garden last night! Hubby does not like zucchini, but I want it for dinner tonight. Who has some good zucchini recipes??? Let's hear them!

I had the same problem but, he actually liked the fired zucchini. Not, the best option but, at least he ate some veggies.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Roast it. EVOO, salt, pepper, garlic powder. I usually roast it around 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. So good.
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Made this on the weekend and fell in love with it. Freaking amazing!!! It's simply zucchini chopped and sauteed in olive oil with onion. Add a can of green chilis then mash and put in cheddar. I could eat the entire recipe, but I shared.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/zucchini_mash.html

I'm drooling.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I do BBQ potatoes and zucchini
    in an aluminium bread pan I slice 3 large potatoes, 1 small zucchini and 1/2 a pepper(red/yellow whatever for a bit of color) in that order (the stuff on the bottom cooks faster than the stuff on top, this way your peppers don't get too limp. or put the peppers in 15 minutes before the rest of the stuff is done. I like my peppers with a bit of crunch left in them).
    I throw in a couple tbsp of butter and season with 2 tbsp of onion soup mix (the dry stuff) and my favorite spices including Hy's cajun and dill. cover the pan with aliminium foil.
    put the pan on the BBQ 1/2 hour before the burgers (on med temp) and voila a zucchini a man and kids will eat.....
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    YUM!
    All recipes from: https://www.facebook.com/LemonPoppyInc

They come out of the cookbook, When Life Gives You a Garden. Great book with lots of great ideas.

tzB4rXw.jpg?1

I have tried some of these and they are delicious. Even the husband and kids love them. They are especially huge fans of the stuffed zucchini and the zucchini fries. My kids love dipping them in ketchup and they just scarf them up!

4XnniTH.jpg?1

AfHWpGr.jpg?1

U4HeJb7.jpg?1

BRtDBTA.jpg?1

6akhlMN.jpg?1

3AF8Fr8.jpg?1
  • becajb
    becajb Posts: 50
    Options
    Use your peeled to peel ribbons, discarding seeds. Poor over juice of half a lemon, drizzle a little olive oil and crumble feta over the top. Bake in oven for 15minutes. We eat this all the time in summer with grilled meat. So delicious.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I grate them and add them to pancakes. Cuts the calories and tastes good.
  • jeschumq
    jeschumq Posts: 2
    Options
    Garlic shrimp with onions and zucchini ribbons. You can make it all in the same pan just add the zucchini toward the end of cooking the shrimp-cook the shrimp about 3 minutes on each side. It doesnt take but a minute or so to heat the zucchini. It's super easy and my 7 year old ate 2 servings and wanted more. Very yummy :)
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Zucchini Chips - granted they're not totally healthy but they are yummy!

Slice zucchini into thin pieces (1/4-1/8'' thick)
    Dip in Olive Oil, then roll in mixture of 1/4 panko crumbs, 1/4 shredded Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. You can also add additional spices if you like (I've seen Cayenne suggested).

Place on ungreased baking sheet, bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes. They should get crispier as they cool.
  • Bella3119
    Bella3119 Posts: 104
    Options
    Zucchini cakes, zucchini tots, mix it into pasta sauce to make it more filling, slice it up and grill it, layer it as a replacement for noodles in lasagna, sliced or diced and cooked with fajita seasoning for fajitas/tacos, muffins (duh), hollow it out and fill with sauce and protein for a zucchini boat, oh the possibilities!

Replacing lasagne noodles with zucchini...MY MIND HAS BEEN BLOWN!!!

I just made a lasagne on Saturday and have been racking my brain on an all vegetarian version I could make that my kids would eat.
    Thank you so much!!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Zucchini Parmesan Crisps - Be sure to click on the word Share to save this to your wall.

1 lb. zucchini or squash (about 2 medium-sized)
    1/4 cup shredded parmesan (heaping)
    1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs (heaping) - I've also used Italian breadcrumbs and those were good too
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    freshly ground pepper, to taste
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with foil and spray lightly with vegetable spray.

Slice zucchini or squash into 1/4 inch-thick rounds. Toss rounds with oil, coating well.

In a wide bowl or plate, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper.

Place rounds in parmesan-breadcrumb mixture, coating both sides of each round, pressing to adhere. The mixture will not completely cover each round, but provides a light coating on each side.

Place rounds in a single layer on baking sheets. Sprinkle any remaining breadcrumb mixture over the rounds.

Bake for about 22 to 27 minutes, until golden brown. (There is no need to flip them during baking -- they crisp up on both sides as is.)

I love just sauteing zucchini with a little extra virgin olive oil or extra virgin coconut oil; you slice it to your desired thickness (1/4" is good); I also sometimes add some red bell pepper and onion; or fresh green beans or broccoli. A little sea salt, pepper and garlic.

Zucchini Chips
    Slice super thin; spray pam a cookie sheet; lay zucchini slices in one layer across cookie sheet; sprinkle with creole seasoning or sea salt; bake at 250 for 50-55 minutes or until crispy. Eat right away (or I always do) and they're crispy like a chip and YUMMY

If you didn't check your zucchini and it got "large" in the garden; you can split in half length wise
    Scoop out the seeds, bake cut side down with a little seasoning on 350 until 1/2 cooked
    then pull out, flip over;

Cook some ground beef (you can go Chili flavored or Italian flavored); add in peppers, onions, celery or any veg when cooking it

Add the cooked ground beef to the zucchini
    Top with some Mozzarella or other cheese

Put back in the oven at 350, cook until the cheese is golden -- super yummy

I also, cut my zucchini with a potato peeler length wise to get long "spaghetti" strands; bake until done (on 350); doesn't take long
    Then top with marinara or spaghetti sauce and Parmesan if desired (also super yummy)
  • katiemanzelli
    katiemanzelli Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of zucchini and usually cut it on the bias into 1" pieces toss with a little olive oil and microwave partially covered for 2-3 minutes (until just tender and steamed through)depending on the amount. Then season with salt, pepper, garlic and a little parmesan. Simple, but it's very good, . (sometimes I also shake on Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle)
  • Laststand2011
    Laststand2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to try this!
  • KellyPetree
    KellyPetree Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Zuchinni & Onion Quiche - so very easy!
    1 cup steamed zuchinni
    1 cup onions
    1 refrigerated pie dough
    4 eggs
    1 3/4 c of half and half
    1 1/2 c of swiss cheese

Spray pie plate. Place pie dough in pan, spread cheese evenly over pie dough. Mix rest of ingredients in a large bowl. Pour onto cheese. Bake at 375 for 35 mins. Salt & pepper to tatse.