Fasting as religious obligation..is diet possible?

Options
According to my religion,Muslims have to fast for a month...during that time we are not allowed to eat or drink anything from sunrise till sunset.
We are allowed to eat before sunrise and then after sunset.My question is,if eat around 4 am and go to bed with a full stomach will that cause my weight gain?.....and f that would then what should i eat that will not cause much weight gain.
Thank you...

Replies

• yaryrosa
    yaryrosa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Fasting is actually very good for the body. There is actually a whole movement on the fasting thing going on. There are different variations, like Eat-Stop-Eat, 16/8 and others. You should look into it, there are tons of testimonials and I believe that, done right, you can lose weight on a healthy way.

Good luck!
  • ForumLurker
    Options
    Your digestive system still works while you're sleeping, a bit more slowly, but still working.

Calories are calories regardless of when you eat them. Your body won't store fat if you're eating at a calorie deficit.

I usually eat a meal or snack an hour or so before bed, I sleep better on a full stomach as opposed to an empty stomach, I haven't noticed any ill effects.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    if eat around 4 am and go to bed with a full stomach will that cause my weight gain?.

As long as total calories are in a reasonable place for your goals, you will do just fine. You don't have to worry just because you are eating at night.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    A lot of people intentionally fast for weightloss. Its called Intermittent Fasting.

http://www.leangains.com/
    http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
  • enigmachik
    enigmachik Posts: 150
    Options
    You'll be fine. As long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, you'll still lose weight. Even in the worst case scenario where you lose at a slightly lower rate than you would normally, it's only for a month, so after that you'll be back on track. Not to worry :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Please make sure you eat enough calories during the hours you can.

It would be great if you could eat the minute the sun goes down, (weather websites predict the exact times on each day.)

Then 1.5 hours later a snack then 1.5 hours after that another big meal right before bed. Then wake before sun up and another big meal. Then another snack &/or big meal right before dawn. (again predicting time with weather website.)

That's 5-6 meals and snacks and that should be more than enough food.

Sorry to be so oppositey but I was more concerned you'd starve during this fast than gain weight. Mostly because that eating before bed stuff is a myth as far as I know so I didn't see that as a risk. I saw the full days without eating as the challenge.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who are fasting right now and their meals consist of gulam jamans, jalebi, pakoras, samosas and other deep fried, sugar-filled or buttery foods. These people are not losing anything, and they often tell me how weak they're feeling during the days as well.

Eat healthy, still try to hit the proper amt of calories and get your nutrients, I know it's hard when you can't eat anything during the day but try avoid eating only treats...

ETA to add: Most of my muslim friends are from India/Pakistan, hence the foods... obv there would be a difference depending on where you're from, but I know that the meal times are kind of seen as a celebration and time to be together, which usually leads to eating celebrational foods (and I think I made up a word- hoping this is clear enough)
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    There are a few threads on Ramadan if you do a search...

There was one with a lot of specific links but I cant find it right now... in the mean time, this may help too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1038039-ramadan-fasting-mfp-and-you-a-guide?hl=ramadan