Heart Rate questions

Options
When I met with the personal trainer a couple of weeks ago she told me that my target heart rate zone is 90-154 and that I shouldn't go above 154 very often or I won't get the maximum benefits of the cardio and strength training that I'm starting. When exercising, my heart gets above 154 easily - I believe it's because I am so overweight - so I slow down and my heart rate recovers within 20-30 seconds.

My question is this - the trainer calculated my target heart rate zone only based on my age. Shouldn't my level of fitness be considered? I know as I become more fit, my heart rate won't get so high, but I'm not experiencing any pain or discomfort so I wonder if it is really detrimental to have my heart rate above my zone. On average, according to my HRM I'm right around 145-150 but my max heart rate can get up as high as 170. I want the most efficient burning of fat calories while still trying to find the muscle I know I have ( I just started weight training 2 weeks ago) and training for my first 10k.

Should I be concerned about keeping my heart rate in the target zone and decrease my intensity level when it gets too high?

Replies

• TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't think so. The only formula I've ever seen is 220 - your age = your maximum heart rate.

Here's a link to calculate your THR: http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Your-Target-Heart-Rate

BTW, some fitness people believe that high intensity interval training (where you vary your THR range in intervals as you workout) provides the best cardio program possible. By using HIIT, I went from training for 10 minutes to 60 minutes in 5 weeks.

Also, your heart rate will go down as you get more fit, i.e. you will have to push yourself further to get to your THR.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    You're thinking about it the right way and as you go forward it will come down. The lower levels of intensity will burn more fat calories as a % of the total than at higher levels (i.e. 154) but the total amount will be lower. If you have have a really good HRM (I use the Polar FT80) they can provide you with the time spent in different zones. I try to keep track of that so if I'm heavy on the upper end after a day or two then I'll dial it back with more lower intensity exercise.

All that said, if you're comfortable continuing to operate near that 154 level it really doesn't hurt. Think of it this way:

45 mins @ 154 bpm average = ~575 (likely <20% from fat...maybe around 120 cals)
    45 mins @ 125 bpm average = ~390 (around 40% from fat...maybe around 150 cals)

So they're not really that far off regardless of what zone you train in but you get the additional cardio benefits of training at higher levels.

Don't over think it. Go all out and then when you can't go anymore at the higher levels back off a bit then hit it again.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Your trainer probably used the old 220-your age as a way of estimating your maximum heart rate which has been proven to be pretty inaccurate.

You should also forget you ever heard the phrase "fat burning zone" - it is low intensity cardio that does burn a higher proportion of calories from fat but burns a far lower number of calories overall. If fat loss is one of your goals then the more calories your burn (fat or glycogen) the better. Here's a little reading on that.....

http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyandhealth/story.html?id=1740622b-d130-486c-a4d3-f05d14878ff9

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/The-Truth-About-The-Fat-Burning-Zone.htm

and you will see in the 2nd article that even though the percentage of calories from fat is lower at the higher intensity the overall number of calories from fat is higher.

For maximum cardiovascular improvements (which is separate and apart from the weight loss issue) is in the 70% to 80% of you maxHR (some calculators vary slightly on this) the real problem is establishing what your maxHR is and the only really accurate way to do this is a stress test.

The general rule of thumb (at least for running) is that if you're running on perceived effort most of your runs should be at a pace at which you can carry on a conversation.
  • julsdolphin
    julsdolphin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks, y'all. My HRM does indicate how much time I'm in my "own zone" so I can keep an eye on it. The trainer did mention doing interval training on the days I'm not running. So I workout out on the arc trainer and try to vary my heart rate from the lower end to the higher end of my heart rate zone. I just have to stick with it and be patient for results. :)
  • julsdolphin
    julsdolphin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the articles! I just started training for a 10k in October and when running with my husband, he keeps telling me to slow down. I was huffing and puffing and trying to push myself, I just need to remember that slow and steady is better than wearing myself out by trying to run too fast too soon.

And I always over think and over analyze things when I start something new. :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    154 is not a low heartrate. That is around 85% max which is harder than you need to run every day. Running that hard or harder every time you go out will impede your progress in training for a 10K.

Pushing yourself everytime is not the best way to improve running. It will work for a while but soon enough you will burn out.

You need to improve aerobic fitness which is best done by running long and running often at heartrates of 80% max and lower.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I have spent a lot of time on what the heart rate zones mean. And yes, they get lower as you age.

They pretty much go like this for me at age 54.

RESTING (60 - 114)

WARM UP (115 - 124)

FAT BURNING (125 - 135)

AEROBIC (136 - 146)

ANAEROBIC (147 - 168)

MAXIMUM (168 - 174)

To build your aerobic capacity for running, you want to be in the aerobic zone for most of your running. For losing weight, I think the intervals work better than low intensity cardio in the Fat Burning range. The reason this became popular was that trainers were trying to get people to move past an easy walk and get in an more burn in less time. It's not cardio until it's in the fat burning range.

Long easy runs really help not only your endurance, but your speed over time.

Over time, your aerobic efficiency will increase and you'll have a slower HR, or do more with a the same effort.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    marking my spot to read later.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    It really depends on which formula he used to arrive at your heart rate.

The simplest and least accurate is 220 - your age. If fails to account for variables including your resting heart rate.

That being said, more complex formula's are available that are based on Age, Resting Heart Rate and Target zones.

Karvonen formula is one of them...

You would calculate your Maximum heart rate (220 for Guys/ 226 for Girls minus Age)

You would then Subtract your Resting Heart rate and multiply by the intensity of your workout (based on zones) Zone 1 is 60-70%, Zone 2 is 71-80%, Zone 3 81-85%, Zone 4 86-90% and Zone 5 is 91-100%. Obviously you need to select the correct zone for the workout (i.e. Long Slow run is Zone 1, High Intensity Sprinting Intervals Zone 5).

You Multiply based on the upper and lower zone variables and re-add your Resting heart rate. Should give you a more accurate number.

A heart rate "zone" of 90 - 160 (or whatever) is too vague a number to work with.

MHR - RHR = HRR (Heart Rate Reserve)

(HRR x Zone %'s ) + RHR = Target zones (should be an upper/lower bound).

In my case, Zone 1 (easier workout) would give me heart rate numbers in the neighborhood of 125 - 137.
    A really hard Zone 5 workout would give me heart rate target of 165 - 178.

Clear as mud?

Bottom line... I think your Trainer just used a very basic formula that didn't account for different types of workout and your resting heart rate.

There are approximately 40-50 (or more) different calculations you could use...the more variables, the more accurate the result.

PS. Your Maximum heart rate will never increase.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Also as I reread the post, Others are correct in that you burn more fat at lower level zones, (Zone 1, Zone 2) than you would at Zone 5.

As you become a stronger runner, your heart rate will decline for the same intensity workout. Zone 5 workouts run almost exclusively on stored glycogen and this is the zone where fatigue will come fastest.

Heart rate still remains the most accurate measure of exercise intensity.