Dealing with leg cramps during exercise

Options
What is the best thing to do about leg cramps from walking? My legs cramp up so bad since I started walking. I try drinking as much water as possible (not been drinking anything but water the last several days), but my legs still cramp...especially when walking. I was told by a friend to drink Chocolate Milk after my walk. Anyone hear of this fact?

My son and I just started walking a week and a day ago. We started by walking 1 mile every day (except Sunday). This past Wednesday we added 1 lap to our mile walk at the track and my left leg started to cramp horribly on lap two and ever since then it cramps especially when we are trying to walk. The pain makes it hard to keep up my walking, but I fight through it and complete my walk. Please send me some advice on how to deal with the leg cramps. Thanks!

Replies

• toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bananas. Most cramps are caused by imbalances in the sodium or potassium levels in your body. Bananas are a great source of potassium.
  • tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bananas. Most cramps are caused by imbalances in the sodium or potassium levels in your body. Bananas are a great source of potassium.

This. Water+bananas
  • athenaharless
    athenaharless Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wish I liked bananas. Took a potassium pill this morning hoping it will help.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Bananas is a great reply. Making sure you're not getting too much water is one. You can over-hydrate and pee out a lot of nutrients (like sodium).

Shoes can be another, if you aren't getting the correct support.
  • athenaharless
    Options
    Thanks!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I used to cramp quite a lot in my lower legs playing tennis on hot days. One of my partners told me to eat a bag of crisps, which eased the cramps, as well as fitting nicely into my own dietary desires - hey, I have to eat these crisps, they are medical, ok?

I then started drinking Gatorade and the like on change of ends instead of water, which helped but were not as crunchy.

The cramps didn't stop properly until I paid attention to those muscles off the court - regular calf raises and stretches. If you have just started a new exercise program your cramps could be caused by nothing more than overuse.
  • catbyrd
    catbyrd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Personally for me I get cramps when I am low on calcium. I add a calcium supplement to my diet and the cramps will ease up after a few days. This along with plenty of water.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are another great source of potassium, since you don't like bananas. Just be careful with the toppings (butter, cheese, sour cream, etc.).
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    dark leafies and some meats are also good potassium.

I hope you find your answer - I had this problem a long time back - had a personal trainer who worked with me every time I went to the gym. (I think he was just rooting for me - I didn't pay extra for him LOL). He'd walk with me, then I'd have cramps. We'd stretch. I made dietary changes and nothing changes. Upped water no improvement. We ended up stretching more than walking usually. I had them until I quit going there because I moved away.

Now I rarely have them. It could have been a result of my plantar fasciitis. Which is now relieved (usually) so long as I don't wear bad shoes (aka cute LOL) most of my time on my feet.
  • athenaharless
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice. :-)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

This ^^ and also hydrate more.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Watermelon is another good source of potassium. Also try stretching your calves and hamstrings before and after you walk.
  • MommaHoff
    MommaHoff Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I always get calf cramps at the end of a long run. I eat 2-4 bananas a day so I don't think it is a potassium issue. I never add salt to my food so it's probably a sodium issue. Just not a big salt fan. If the potassium pill doesn't help I'd try adding sodium.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I love a glass of chocolate milk after a workout! Good stuff. And milk has good potassium as well.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I always get calf cramps at the end of a long run. I eat 2-4 bananas a day so I don't think it is a potassium issue. I never add salt to my food so it's probably a sodium issue. Just not a big salt fan. If the potassium pill doesn't help I'd try adding sodium.

Try a half and half, mixing water and gatorade. Keeps the sodium levels up and hydrates but without the shock of all that sugar. Also, stretch!! Especially calves, hamstrings and hips.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Up your protein possibly add a protein shake after you work out. If you are buidling muscle while you are working out that will help your muscles recover and feel much better. Cottage Cheese is great also stays in your body a long time and will make your muscles feel better. Possibly taking a bath in Epson Salts and Peppermint Oil will help feel better. The health food stores have something called Arnica Cream that will help to rub on if your muscles are really hurting alot and drink tons of water lots of water.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    If you think it may be potassium, black tea has a ton of potassium available for your body to scarf up.

From someone who drinks a ton of fluids in a day, I can say that unless you are extremely low on your sodium every day and drink more than 2 L of fluids, and are sweating enough to soak all of your clothes from your walk, it is doubtful that you are low on your sodium levels. (Usually low sodium muscle cramps are accompanied with a mild headache, and occasional lightheaded-ness.)

It could also be that you just need to stretch. Especially if you started at the mile, and are now adding to it. If you aren't stretching before hand, the muscles aren't working right, which can alter your stride and/or balance which aggravates the problem.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thats great to hear about the bananas ( potassium) imbalance. I would also reccomend trying a gatorade water mix. I made the mistake of ONLY drinking gatorade on a 7 mile hike and the sodium made my hands snd feet swell ( it was about 90-100 degrees) but mixing them helps a ton. Its worked for me, my mare, I even add a little gatorade to the chicken/ turkey/geese water when its really hot. ( a friends turkey started acting lethargic ( it was 100+ and he had water but apparrntly he wasnt drinking enough), so I assumed he was dehydrated and gave it a shot. Snapped right out of it)
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are incorporating lots of green leafy veggies like spinach an kale in your food intake. Taking a multivitamin helps as well. I also have been plagued with cramping problems in the past and Gatorade and bananas would not help during a three hour tennis match in 90 degree weather. I have switched from Gatorade to Coconut water and it has made a huge difference. I believe it has double to triple the potassium of Gatorade. If you are not a fan of coconut, they are even making flavored coconut waters like lemonaide and mango which are quite tasty.