zumba compared to walking?

Options
I have been walking 4 miles a day for my exercise for months now. I usually do it in an hour and 20 mins, so a fairly slow pace. I've been losing pretty good with that. I joined the ymca about 3 weeks ago and started changing things up. I mostly have done zumba. So, since I was doing that I haven't had time to walk the 4 miles too. Sometimes i've taken a morning zumba and then a night zumba class. Or i'd do zumba and another hour fitness class in the same day. Since i've started this i've noticed i'm not losing the way I was. I even stalled the first week and didn't lose anything. So, just wondering how zumba compares to walking? Am I better off doing the 4 miles? Is one zumba class enough to not walk anymore? Or is two classes too much in a day?

Replies

• disney_girl125
    disney_girl125 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • disney_girl125
    disney_girl125 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I get a much higher burn from Zumba than I do from walking. Maybe stick to one class per day until you get it figured out? You're also using a ton more muscles in different ways than you are with walking, so you could be retaining water to help repair them. That will go away on its own, with time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    zumba is a more vigorous form of exercise than simply walking...more vigorous exercise requires more extensive muscle repair...more extensive muscle repair requires more water, thus your muscle retain more for said repair.

Anytime you change up an exercise regime or increase intensity you're going to have a period of water retention. This is almost constant with weight lifting as you're always doing more than you did last time...or at least trying to.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Zumba is an interval cardio workout. You should be burning a lot more calories than walking. With that said, limit it to one class a day. You are using a lot of different muscle groups. . If your instructor teaches like I do, I incorporate squats, lunges and jumps to really tone up those problem areas on the legs and glutes. Then i have specific moves i use for arms and abs.. Stay hydrated also when you are working out harder;)