I made a big pot of chicken curry last night

Options
Its boneless skinless chicken legs, potato, carrots, and some forzen vegetables. It's a pretty big pot that i plan to finish graudally. how do I calculate the calories that i ate for each meal? each meal i just scooped out some to the plate. Am i supposed to weigh it to get the approximate calories?

Any suggestion? Thank you

Replies

• DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    put it in as a recipe and work out how many servings are in it. MFP will then tell you how many calories are in a serving. and voila.
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Give me a bowl please!
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It's a little late for this now, but when you're making a big batch of something, use the recipe builder when adding all your ingredients, and then weigh how much the final product is. Let's say it comes to 400 ounces. Make a serving size "1 ounce." Then, when you serve yourself individual portions, weigh how many ounces you're eating at each time; ie, 5 ounces. That will give you a pretty decent approximation of how many calories you're eating each time.
  • niuniuhuahua
    Options
    Give me a bowl please!
    i would love to! LOL!
  • niuniuhuahua
    Options
    put it in as a recipe and work out how many servings are in it. MFP will then tell you how many calories are in a serving. and voila.
    i did put it in a receipe. It came out to be 2626 calories. B\t i'm having a hard time working out how many servings are in it since it's in such a big pot.
  • niuniuhuahua
    Options
    It's a little late for this now, but when you're making a big batch of something, use the recipe builder when adding all your ingredients, and then weigh how much the final product is. Let's say it comes to 400 ounces. Make a serving size "1 ounce." Then, when you serve yourself individual portions, weigh how many ounces you're eating at each time; ie, 5 ounces. That will give you a pretty decent approximation of how many calories you're eating each time.
    Thank you! Yeah, i didn't weigh the final product. the probelm is, since it's such a big pot, i don't think my kitchen table scale will be able to weigh it....:(:(
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I use a measuring cup and scoop it out into another container. Just to make life easy I put one scoop as a serving. You can actually eat more or less than that but it just makes it easier to calculate.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    i did put it in a receipe. It came out to be 2626 calories. B\t i'm having a hard time working out how many servings are in it since it's in such a big pot.

What I would do is preportion the rest of it into tupperware then split it by how many portions you have left + how many you've already eaten.

you don't really need to weigh out each one if you're the only one eating it because ultimately, you are going to eat the 2626 calories so each portion averages out
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I make a chicken curry with veggies (broc, cauli, potatoes, peppers), chicken breasts, 2 lg cans of chick peas, VH curry sauce and a bed of rice for under each portion and end up with 8 healthy portions at 363 cals 63 carbs 15 protien and 648 sodium per serving.
    I would suggest plugging your version into the recipies calculator and create your own meal
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    How big IS the pot? You could make "1 cup" a serving and you have however many servings it takes to fill the pot to the level your curry was. Possibly not as accurate as weighing, but should be "close enough" as you shouldn't have too much variation from how it "packs" into the measure. (Keep track of how many cups you actually take out, so you have a total measure to compare to your original estimate)