Milk

Options
I'm REALLY craving chocolate milk. Can I have it? I hope I can without sabotaging my weight loss. Just bought a scale and here I am two weeks into exercising/one week into dieting and I've lost seven pounds! What's best? Soy? Almond? Skim? There are so many choices. I'm taking vitamin D plus calcium and a multivitamin as recommended by my doctor, because I do have two autoimmune diseases, so I'm not really concerned about the nutrition aspect (should I be?).

Thanks for your advice!

Replies

• angiereid
    Options
    first lets just nip this in the bud right now there is nothing you cannot have if you think this way you will fail, this is a lifestyle not a diet and as long as you portion your foods out and exercise you can eat whatever you want. remember you have to be able to eat like this forever this is a lifestyle change so if you say i cannot eat this then what will happen is one day you will really crave chocolate or something else and will binge out on anything and everything because you did not satisfy your urge. im not a doctor so i cannot say anything about the autoimmune disease, but i drink silk light chocolate milk almost everyday after a workout 1 cup and it has like 90 calories taste great. hope that helps

828710.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Katy213
    Options
    I buy flavoured soya milk (chocolate or vanilla) coz I think they are great for satisfying sweet cravings!! And soya milk is very good for you in that it naturally lowers cholesterol levels. Its quite low calorie so doesn't take me over my allowance as a dessert would. Can't advise you on your health problems but fairly certain soya milk would be good anyway! Good luck! :smile:
  • tcam70455
    tcam70455 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Once in a while, when I'm really craving chocolate, I will make chocolate milk with skim milk and sugar free chocolate syrup. The milk is only 80 calories/cup and the syrup is just 15 calories/2 tablespoons. It's not too bad, and curbs the craving for something much higher in calories.
  • nbingham
    nbingham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My son is lactose intolerant and really enjoys Almond milk. He even adds chocolate syrup to make chocolate almond milk sometimes and says it's VERY good.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Regular milk is good for you - a good amount of protein. if it's what you go with, low-fat is generally best. If you have problems with dairy, there are plenty of good alternatives - soy, almond milk (my favorite!), coconut milk, etc. Some come pre-flavored as chocolate. I'd try to avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup, but not everyone is as worried about that. If you buy a powder/mix to make your milk chocolate, most of them have sugar and are fairly high in calories, but as long as you limit your portions, it's an okay treat once in awhile (in my opinion). :wink:
  • shipleyak
    shipleyak Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking a glass of milk everytime I exercise. It is a great way to replenish your body with some protein. However, I use 2% organic milk. It is a little higher on the calories but still has all the vitamins of whole milk plus omega-3 and no hormones are used. My advice would be if your craving it, eat it, just don't over kill.
  • Lithuria
    Options
    Remember that it takes 3500 calories to 'create' a pound of body fat....of course, over time, over eating calories builds up those pounds, but if you're not going over board every day then I'm sure that little chocolate milk won't do your diet any harm at all, even less if you go for one of the many low fat varieties out there! Besides, milk is super nutritious anyway so you'll be giving your tastebuds and your body a treat ;)
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I have been drinking a glass of milk everytime I exercise. It is a great way to replenish your body with some protein. However, I use 2% organic milk. It is a little higher on the calories but still has all the vitamins of whole milk plus omega-3 and no hormones are used. My advice would be if your craving it, eat it, just don't over kill.
    I do the same thing, also with 2% organic and it's only an extra 100 calories if I decide to make it chocolate (I don't use fat free). And, like some others have said, this is a lifestyle, not a diet. If you are setting yourself up to deny yourself the foods you love, you could be setting yourself up for failure. I had to really convince myself of that. It's ok to eat the little Snickers bar, but not the whole bag in one sitting. :laugh: Good luck, and great job on 7 lbs! You're on your way!!! :drinker:
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    In Shape magazine I read that it is actually beneficial in weight loss to have a small glass of milk every morning.
  • FlashBang
    Options
    I like my milk frozen, with some eggs and sugar, I think they call it ice cream. I know it is ruining my diet and limited me to 10 lbs a month weight loss but I just can't help myself. Seriously, I drink a glass of (8 oz) 1 % after a workout, unless I forget. And often eat a scoop of blue bell ice cream or a real ice cream sandwich at lunch. If I lost weight any faster I really think it would be unhealthy. Drink your chocolate milk and have a ball with it, just log it and make it fit.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I like my milk frozen, with some eggs and sugar, I think they call it ice cream. I know it is ruining my diet and limited me to 10 lbs a month weight loss but I just can't help myself. Seriously, I drink a glass of (8 oz) 1 % after a workout, unless I forget. And often eat a scoop of blue bell ice cream or a real ice cream sandwich at lunch. If I lost weight any faster I really think it would be unhealthy. Drink your chocolate milk and have a ball with it, just log it and make it fit.

I hear you on the ice cream. I decided to treat myself today after my first 5K race (41:36!!) and went to the bodega around the corner and got a container of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food. BUT I was good and measured out 1/2 cup and put the rest back in the freezer. It can be my reward next Sunday too after that race! (Plus it's my splurge day - though I only went around 200 calories over my total including exercise calories...so it wasn't even a huge splurge!)

I'm starting to use milk as my post-workout drink (I'm using skim right now, though I may bump it up...not sure), and am really thinking about starting to go with chocolate milk.

They had Muscle Milk and Muscle Milk Lite they gave us at the end of the run, and the chocolate was good...but I want to do more research as to what all is in it before I get more. I know there's no milk in it...
  • Buccinator
    Options
    I ended up getting milk, soy milk, because, uhm, why not?! It's 140 calories for 8 ounces and DELICIOUS. Totally hit the spot. You're all right. Had my milk and have had all my meals for the day and some snacks and I still have calories to spare. Thanks for reminding me to indulge once in a while, especially in those things that are actually pretty healthy!
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I certainly agree with the fact that this is a lifestyle choice, and that if you deny yourself of this, that, and that over there too, it will become a diet and you will eventually yo-yo back to where you were, I know, I've done it so many times.

I had a buddy here in Japan, an Airforce guy, he was in great shape and he ate good healthy food, but sometimes would go for something not that healthy, at a party or such, I asked him if he worried about it his response was....

"I eat healthy food 98% of the time, I run six miles six days a week, I'm not worried that a double cheese and bacon hamburger once a month will make me fat" :bigsmile:

.... I have to agree with him, if you eat and enjoy food, all food that you want to eat, in moderation with exercise and you will be healthy.

I personally don't like regular old cow's milk, I'm not a calf, but I do enjoy some soy milk, and yes the chocolate one too! :drinker:
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    There really should not be any restrictions on what you can and cannot have, just how much and how often!!!! So if you are craving it, fix yourself an 8oz. portion and be done with it! Log the calories and move on.
  • Certified_Femail
    Certified_Femail Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi I am looking for something else to use for a creamer in my coffee i go to starbucis and use half and half, i know therre is alot of info already talked about on this site but im in a rush to get ready and thought i would ask this now before i go to starbucks. I was wondering if the soy milk is as rich as half and half. I never have used soy, or is there any other quick suggestions. I will do deeper research later. I dont think strbks has a non dairy creamer. I usually use like five table spoons. any quick suggestions?
  • nomayyy
    Options
    You can totally drink chocolate milk. I personally believe in portion control, and moderation. You can really eat anything, as long as its controlled and its not often especially when it's not necessarily good for you.

I actually had a craving for chocolate milk about a week ago, and my boyfriend bought me some from this local dairy farm and it was SOOOO good. You just have to let yourself cave into a few cravings every now and then! Or else trust me, one day you might just go nuts and drink a whole carton and then you're gonna feel worse :(.