Sugar from fruit. Is it really bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Our body's main source of energy is glucose. Eat the fruit.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Fructose (fruit sugars) are very different chemically from glucose (grain sugars) and are processed differently in the body.

Essentially, too much fructose in your diet has the same detrimental bodily effects as too much alcohol--and that makes sense because alcohol is made from fermented sugars (wine, anyone?)

Fresh fruit, as opposed to juice or HFCS, has fiber which helps to negate the bad effects of the fructose.

There is an amazing power in understanding the chemistry of food. I'm no scientist, but I'm self-educating to understand why I should avoid too much juice instead of just accepting it because someone on TV said so.

This video is what piqued my interest in the topic (Sugar: The Bitter Truth): http://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM

strange+gif_e32caf_4301733.gif
  • mojo501976
    mojo501976 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugars are not bad for you. But you do have to be careful and to eat protein with your fruit otherwise your body may become susceptible later in life to diabetes. You need to be wary of this as you don't want to unbalance your blood sugars! It is best to train your eating habits early in life!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugars are not bad for you.

It's neither bad nor good. It depends on how much you eat, presenting the total glucose load to the body, and depending on how much energy you are expending short-term.
    But you do have to be careful and to eat protein with your fruit otherwise your body may become susceptible later in life to diabetes. You need to be wary of this as you don't want to unbalance your blood sugars!

Sorry, but this is too oversimplified to be of any use. NO.

Eat the fruit. You won't get diabetes and die if there's no protein with it, from that alone.
  • CountingCaloriesSuxass
    CountingCaloriesSuxass Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You won't get diabetes and die.

How sure are you??
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugars are not bad for you. But you do have to be careful and to eat protein with your fruit otherwise your body may become susceptible later in life to diabetes. You need to be wary of this as you don't want to unbalance your blood sugars! It is best to train your eating habits early in life!

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this.

1) Eating sugar does not cause diabetes. Being overweight is a risk factor and yes eating foods with lots of sugar can be a cause of being over weight. 2) Eating fruit has many benefits and is vital to a balanced diet. People with type 2 diabetes are recommended to eat fruit as part of their lifestyle changes. You can check both statements on the diabetes america / uk websites myths section.

Oh and by eating protein with your fruit you slow digestion down which causes fermentation which makes you fart
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    My understanding is you shouldn't worry too much about naturally occurring sugars, just processed & refined ones.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    too much sugar from fruit can lead to steatohepatitis which can lead to cirrhosis, liver cancer, liverfailure and death.

Fructose can be toxic.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    This question gets asked almost daily.

NO. Sugar is not bad for you unless you are diabetic.

IN for the ridiculous condemnation of sugar!
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    sperm cells can directly use fructose without being processed by the liver

Just sayin... love your fruit
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

^ This. And it looks like the sugar scaremongers have already arrived . . . oh noz!!! The sugar is gonna keel ya!
  • therunninghippie
    therunninghippie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Nope nope nope eat fruit forever and be merry!
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    sperm cells can directly use fructose without being processed by the liver

Just sayin... love your fruit

Hahaha I'm going to nosh some cherries just for that. Keep the little guys happy!!
  • sjsosu
    sjsosu Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    +1 to the sugar fearmongers making things up

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/257108.php

or there's science.

I've been on an IFFYM diet for as long as I can remember, long before I knew there was a name for it (which granted was yesterday). Over 20 years. I do agree that it is the way to go, but there's more than just protein/carb/fat/calories to consider when you are looking at your overall current and future health. The simplistic view works for fat and weight, but there are other systems at work in your body.

It may be difficult to meet your IFFYM macros if you eat a high sugar diet, but dismissing the effects that too much sugar could have on someone that's not on such a plan could lead them to make poor decisions. Everything in moderation.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    +1 to the sugar fearmongers making things up
    But ... but .. she posted a link to a VIDEO!

OP -- I don't even watch my sugar. If you aren't diabetic or something else that requires limiting sugar, especially if it's coming from fruit, which is full of vitamins and really good stuff, don't even worry about it.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

Close. Sugar, by itself, is not bad for you even if you are a diabetic.

It's carbs. And carbs are not bad uniformly, it's just one of the easiest-to-control factors that affects your blood sugar. I guarantee you, if you eat 40g of sugar-free white rice, it will have a nearly identical effect as 40g of fructose in strawberries.

Actually, the berries have more fiber and other micronutrients, are better for you in many ways.

The idea that "if it doesn't have sugar, it doesn't count! YAY!" screws up a lot of uneducated diabetics, and it has real effects on their health.
  • greatwestescape
    Options
    +1
    Fruit sugars are not bad for you.

It's neither bad nor good. It depends on how much you eat, presenting the total glucose load to the body, and depending on how much energy you are expending short-term.
    But you do have to be careful and to eat protein with your fruit otherwise your body may become susceptible later in life to diabetes. You need to be wary of this as you don't want to unbalance your blood sugars!

Sorry, but this is too oversimplified to be of any use. NO.

Eat the fruit. You won't get diabetes and die if there's no protein with it, from that alone.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Close. Sugar, by itself, is not bad for you even if you are a diabetic.

It's carbs. And carbs are not bad uniformly, it's just one of the easiest-to-control factors that affects your blood sugar. I guarantee you, if you eat 40g of sugar-free white rice, it will have a nearly identical effect as 40g of fructose in strawberries.

Actually, the berries have more fiber and other micronutrients, are better for you in many ways.

The idea that "if it doesn't have sugar, it doesn't count! YAY!" screws up a lot of uneducated diabetics, and it has real effects on their health.

Well I admittedly don't know much about diabetes. I stuck that in to imply that there are exceptions to the rule. I'll revise my blanket-sugar-thread statements in the future.