are you diligent about following macros or just calories?

Options
i dont know if I should really be series about following macros or just focus on sticking to a certain number of calories a day

i'm 35 yo female, 5'0 at 130. i would like to drop 15 lbs. so eating at 1500 a day. does that seem ok? i dont want to go too low

I lift heavy 3 days a week and run four miles 4-5 days a week(going to substitute 2 of those long runs for HIIT)

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I try to be diligent with my macros, but I have a hard time getting my protein as high as I should. I usually get my protein as high as I can (to help with muscle retention and body composition) and let the fats and carbs fall where they will.
  • ForumLurker
    Options
    I only really try to hit my calories, fat and protein, I don't even really look at carbs. I don't go over my carbs very often though, unless there's cake.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Mostly it's all about calories for me. I do try to watch my sodium (because of water retention) and I try to be in the right ballpark for Carbs. I figure though that the macros will start to balance out once I've got the calorie counting down and have stuck with it for a longer period of time.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    A little of both. I keep my calories in line first, but I make a point to hit my protein macro first. Fat next, then carbs.

ETA: Also, OP, if you're working out that much.. I'd seriously consider changing your settings on here.

Update to .5 lb per week (with only 15 lbs left to go) and active. No sense in sticking to 1500 if you can comfortably get away with eating more.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I watch protein first, calories second, and don't worry so much about the others. If I'm feeling bloated/ thirsty I monitor sodium too. I tried to watch all of them and it just wasn't sustainable for me, mainly because I'm a perfectionist haha.

Edit: Also I'm 4"11 and eating 1550 if you're looking for friends with similar stats.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I think like most, my protein is the hardest. I've modified my macros to meet more of a PCOS friendly diet so that means more protein than MFP standard.....I don't think I've ever hit it. It's certainly not a regular thing for me - but at a minimum, I try and make sure that the proteins are more than half of what the carbs are (90% of my carbs are veggies). I let fats fall where they may and try and keep the overall cals under control. A daily dance :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Mostly calories for me too. I seem to seesaw between protein & carbs; one day & I'll "over" on protein and short on carbs, the next the opposite.......over time it works out.
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I focus on calories first, then protein, then finally let carbs and fat fall where they may. It works for me. But I find with the food choices I make carbs and fat are usually pretty well in line with my ratios without focusing specifically on them.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Calories are most important to lose weight at all.
    Next comes protein to maintain muscle mass.
    Next is fat to maintain hormone production and other important bodily functions.
    Carbs come last. They are important for sustaining maximal performance in the gym (except for a few rare individuals allegedly).

However you find that you end up sacrificing carbs because you don't really want to lower protein and fats too much for optimal body recomposition/health.
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I started out just monitoring calories. Now as I am getting more into lifting, I have focused more on getting my protein as well as keeping the calories in line. If I go over on the macros, its usually carbs, which I'm trying to get under better control.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just follow calories and let the macros fall where they may.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I think when I get closer to my goal I will be watching macros more, right now it is about calories.
  • grumpadon
    grumpadon Posts: 24
    Options
    i just asked about macro percentages in food and nutrition. i track macros only and it is what broke my plateau. i'm sticking with what works. i do 40% 40% 20%. carbs, protein, fat
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I find that when I focus on hitting close to all my macros, the calories just balance themselves out really. At the end of the day of logging, I tend to eat around the same amount of calories each day regardless (between 1500-1700) when I focus on my macros.
  • grumpadon
    grumpadon Posts: 24
    Options
    i just asked about macro percentages in food and nutrition. i track macros only and it is what broke my plateau. i'm sticking with what works. i do 40% 40% 20%. carbs, protein, fat
    also, i need to say that the reason i do this is to get a balance of what my body needs. i always come in under my calories and have a balance of the 3 macros. i also drink a lot of water. for anyone who is interested and doesn't already know this. 1g of carbs is 4 calories, 1g of protein is 4 calories and 1g of fat is 9 calories.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Definitely macros.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Calories.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

If you've only been here this month, you haven't hit a plateau.
  • Pace29
    Pace29 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When initially started losing weight focused only on calories. but you will see as closer to goal or your goals change such as to recomp/build muscle macros become more important. If you notice the ones who mentioned macros are those that lift and are already close to goal. When you still have large amount to lose or first starting out calories is fine.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    so eating at 1500 a day. does that seem ok?

What is your BMR and TDEE (-at-sedentary to maintain weight)?
    Those numbers will help guide you.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/