office just threw a bday party and served sberry shortcake

Options
_noob_
_noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
I of course can't eat that crap, and was forced to make an *kitten* of myself by declining the food while everyone else contributed to the rise in obesity of America...

I'm thinking this is ground to sue under harrassment due to hostile work environment. Serveral of my coworkers ridiculed me for refusing the cake.

Many of my other coworkers have already signed testimonials that they saw the ridicule and harassment.

Anybody know a good lawyer who deals with this in Texas, or do you feel like this could constitue a valid case?

Replies

• downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    quit.

it is far easier to lose weight when you don't get a paycheck to waste on food.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Congrats on staying strong!!! It's people like you who have moved America into the #2 spot and let Mexico move to the #1 spot of most Obese country in the world!!

You are a leader and an example!!!

I would go for a class action suit to get more exposure and allow the word to get out that the work place is not a place to help spread the disease of obesity. Actually, you might even be able to get Michelle Obama on board with you since she is also working on the children's lunch being low in calories...so she understands.

Even if the harassment claims doesn't work, you can prove they are purposely helping to spread the obesity disease and therefore are trying to cause a national pandemic of epic proportions. You have a lawsuit my friend...and you will win.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Now I want strawberry shortcake, not the actual cake but the toy from the tv show from the 80's
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Workplace bullying and obesification of America has to stop!!!!!

There is no room for sweets at work. You're there to work, not enjoy yourself. How terribly unprofessional of them all.
  • mander8282
    mander8282 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    lol...one of our clients just brought in cookies from a stellar local bakery.....so far i am resisting :)
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to HR? HR is there to protect you the employee
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Larry H. Parker
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    strawberry? snozzberry?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't care for strawberry shortcake. What the **** is shortcake, anyway? You never hear of any other kind of shortcake. Always strawberry. Or Joanie, from Happy Days. That's it, though.
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all of the time. People in my office are so rude that they have something called "fat friday" where they order extremely greasy take-out. EVERYTIME I deny them they make fun of me. Really irritating.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Now I want strawberry shortcake, not the actual cake but the toy from the tv show from the 80's

Remember she smelled like Strawberries??!?! Awwww, now I want one.
  • therunninghippie
    therunninghippie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you wouldn't just enjoy a piece of cake and celebrate that person's birthday?
    One piece of cake doesn't make someone obese. It's not like they tried to make you eat a whole cake and then made fun of you when you threw up half way through.
    I'm sorry you had such a bad experience at work today. I wasn't there so I don't know how bad the teasing was or how it made you feel. But if I was you, I would eat some cake. :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't care for strawberry shortcake. What the **** is shortcake, anyway? You never hear of any other kind of shortcake. Always strawberry. Or Joanie, from Happy Days. That's it, though.

Shortcake is generally made from shortening... which is fat.

I know you were being facetious, but I felt the need to answer the question. :flowerforyou:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I can try to get licensed pro hac vice in TX to handle your case. I have a feeling this is the one that will make me rich.
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    Sorry, doesn't fall under Title VII or any of the other Federal laws designed to protect you from harassment and discrimination. Otherwise, I'd be glad to represent you...and you could pay me in shortcake!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Strawberry shortcake is the BEST!!! It's a staple in Maine! Along with blueberries and lob-stah! :happy:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Shortcake is generally made from shortening... which is fat.

I know you were being facetious, but I felt the need to answer the question. :flowerforyou:

I like shortening. It doesn't make sense that baking it into a cake would ruin it. Shortcake is all kinds of wrong.
  • leradoms
    leradoms Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I work in a small office and in order to control the amount of cake-related celebrating I consolidated parties so it is only once a month and put myself in charge of bringing in the treats. That way I can accommodate dietary things like low-sugar and gluten-free (we have a diabetic and a celiac in the office). It is a little more work than just buying a cake, but it makes everyone a lot happier!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Sorry, doesn't fall under Title VII or any of the other Federal laws designed to protect you from harassment and discrimination. Otherwise, I'd be glad to represent you...and you could pay me in shortcake!

Perhaps you could go in and spray Windex all over it, thus inciting a riot, and then you could sue for workplace violence.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Technically the "cake" was angel food cake, which is made with all those lowfat substitues and chemical soups...ugh.