Your Favorite "It's Too Hot" Meal?

Options
ebgbjo
ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
Have no good ideas for dinner and need to go to the grocery store soon. It is so hot outside. What are your favorite meals to cook when it is hot outside? Want something healthy and delicious, obviously, and looking for ideas other than steak.

Thank you.

Replies

• rooby2sday
    rooby2sday Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd go for something kind of light. Maybe chicken with mango salsa on some fresh greens? Or have the greens on the side as a salad. Always love broccoli as a side, too.
  • megganxrose
    megganxrose Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I don't want to eat/cook because of the heat my go to is always fresh mozz, tomatoes, basil, EVOO, balsamic vinegar. I could live on it.

Or I'll just munch on frozen fruit, or throw some fish and broccoli on the grill with lots of lemon.
  • hicp
    hicp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Look up Quinoa Salad recipes. Nice and cool and yummy.
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Indian Spiced Chickpea Salad with Yogurt, Lemon, Scallions, Mint, and Cilantro:
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2008/10/indian-spiced-chickpea-garbanzo-salad.html

Eat it as is or stuff it into a pita. It's light and refreshing but still nice and filling because it's got lots of protein :)
  • nwatrous
    nwatrous Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I cut a big tomato into wedges and put a scoop of chicken or tuna salad on top. Done.
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When I don't want to eat/cook because of the heat my go to is always fresh mozz, tomatoes, basil, EVOO, balsamic vinegar. I could live on it.

Or I'll just munch on frozen fruit, or throw some fish and broccoli on the grill with lots of lemon.

I like doing this on a grilled portabello with some fresh veggies on this side

edit: i like putting mozz, tomatos and basil in the grilled portabello just be a little more clear :)
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    BLT w/ avocado, greek turey pitas are nice too. I find that sandwiches are my go to meal when it is too hot to really cook.

Oh- I have this chicken salad tostada recipe that is really good.
    Canned chicken, sunflower seeds, sliced apple and celery and onion and craisins. Stick that together with some plain yogurt and put that on top of a tostada shell with some hot sauce. YUMMY!!!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Harissa chicken with bulgur wheat salad:

http://www.womanmagazine.co.uk/food/the-hairy-dieters-harissa-chicken-bulgurwheat-salad/

Really light and delicious.

Oh, and less than 300 calories.

So I usually eat 2 servings...
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I make 2 super easy things:

1. Cheaters gazpacho. Blend 1-2 cucumbers with a jar of salsa. Eat cold.
    2. Cottage Cheese, Marinara sauce, fresh basil chopped, garlic and salt to taste. I call it diet Lasagne. Eat cold.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options

LOVE the caprese salad--thanks for the reminder
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas for hot weather dinners

(We often have a grain salad and/or some sort of grilled protein, but I'm always looking for other ideas.)
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Grill up burgers, outside.

Just light the grill, put them on, flip 'em, and bring the food in.

I spend maybe a total of six minutes outside, and it gives me an excuse to get out of the shirt and tie first thing when I get home from work!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Cheese and crackers.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Waldorf salad!!
    Strawberry, spinach and feta salad
    Peanut butter and banana sammich
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Bean salad with tuna. No cooking required.

Take a can of mixed beans (drained) add a can of tuna (drained) some chopped veggies: carrot, celery,cucumber, onions, tomatoes, lettuce if you wish and anything else you like too, throw in some spices, and a splash of your favorite vinaigrette and you have a nice yummy filling dinner which also makes nice leftovers for lunches the next day.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about spicy recipes that are too hot... you know the kind that make flames shoot out of my mouth as I smile and laugh and love every second of it.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Avocado and prawn salad with homemade thousand island dressing and croutons. Yummmm.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Cereal and milk
    pb and j
    tuna salad on crackers or bread
    fruit salad
    regular salad
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... I'm not sure if I ever said this, except a few years ago when our A/C went out. It may be hot outside, but it's almost chilly in my house, so anything goes!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    My favorite meal will cool you down and make you feel refreshed......it's not cooked.

It's Gazpacho, and I can eat a ton of it