CHICKEN!!

Options
newjenn40
newjenn40 Posts: 27 Member
So my hubby wants to smoke a brisket this weekend... and I would love to get some chicken on that smoker too!!! Anyone have any good recipes or tried any items that helps the chicken stay moist and awesome WITHOUT but or mayo?!?!

Replies

• cagefan
    cagefan Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ingredients
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 whole chicken, halved
    Applewood chips for smoking, as needed

Directions

In a medium size bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Rub the seasoning over the both halves of the chicken. Cover the chicken with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Place wood chips in the smoking tray of the grill. If you don't have this option you can make a packet out of aluminum foil and punch a few holes in the top of it with a fork and place directly on the hot coals.

Place the chicken on a hot grill over medium-heat with the meat side down. Grill over the wood chips for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Cover, this will keep in the smoke and to prevent oxygen from igniting the smoking wood. After 30 minutes turn the chicken to its opposite side. The juices near the bone should run clear.
  • newjenn40
    Options
    AWESOME!!!! Thanks girlie!!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    can of coca cola :)
  • mlrodgers381
    mlrodgers381 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was told (and have read it in various recipes) that if you soak it in milk for an hour before cooking, it makes the chicken really moist. Some recipes say buttermilk...and some just plain ole milk!!
  • Thokiz
    Thokiz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    ...that helps the chicken stay moist and awesome WITHOUT but or mayo?!?!

Use a meat thermometer to avoid over cooking & it will always remain moist no matter what you dip it in or season it with :wink:
  • newjenn40
    Options
    Thanks y'all!
  • AnimePrincess13
    AnimePrincess13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Families Favorite Brine

1/2C Kosher Salt
    2T Paprika
    2T Gran. Garlic
    2T Gran. Onion
    2T Dry Thyme
    2T Black Pepper
    1C Vinegar (Any)
    1-11/2Gal Cold Water to cover Chicken

1T Red Pepper Flake Optional

Mix well and Soak the Bird over night or up to 24 Hours.
    Remove the Chicken, Rinse if desired, pat dry with paper towels.
    Place in an open container in the refrigerator overnight or up to 24 hours for the Skin to dry.
    This will give a crispier skin when Smoking or Roasting...

Chicken Rub

1/2C Raw Sugar
    2T Paprika (I use Smoked if I'm just Grilling)
    1T Cayenne
    1T Gran. Garlic
    1T Gran. Onion
    1tsp Black Pepper
    1tsp Wht Pepper
    1tsp Allspice
    1tsp Bell's Poultry Seasoning (optional)

Mix well and rub on Oil or Butter coated Chicken.
    Reduce Cayenne to 1 teaspoon if less heat is desired.
    Can be done without using oil or butter.

This is the recipe we use in our smoker. Have done it without letting the skin dry and it is still amazing.
  • sweetlyybroken
    sweetlyybroken Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You can always sub plain greek yogurt for mayo!
  • emlott88
    emlott88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes the soaking in buttermilk really does work! My baked chicken always comes out super moist, which usually baked chicken can get pretty dry.

You can substitute buttermilk with regular milk + lemon or white vinegar.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Beer butt chicken! Look it up, it's amazing.
  • nicolaturner1986
    nicolaturner1986 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I usually make a good old British Sunday Roast every week and when I use chicken it always turns out nice and moist

stuff Thyme (fresh or dried) under chicken skin
    Squeeze 1 lemon over chicken and place half the lemon inside the carcass
    Slice 1 onion and lay in baking tray
    place chicken on top of the onion and pop in the oven
    roast the chicken for 20 mins per lb + 10-20 mins (until the juices run clear)
    30 mins before the chicken is done, place a few slices of bacon over the chicken and place back in the oven for final 30 mins

The meat stays lovely and juicy when we do it like this

x
  • nicolaturner1986
    nicolaturner1986 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke Chicken is also lovely too - this is a 'syn free' recipe I got from a member

Pour diet coke (about 1 pint) into a sauce pan and add i teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 2 beef stock cubes (I use OXO), 1 tablespook of Paprika (smoked if you want to), a couple of dashes of worcester sauce and 2 tablespoons of tomato puree and boil up until the sauce until it becomes sticky (in my experience it doesn't get very thick).

Stir fry chicken with onions, peppers and mushrooms (or whatever veg you want) and when cooked pour sauce over the chicken and veg.

I usually serve this with rice

If on slimming world this would be classed as 'syn free'

x
  • samr73
    samr73 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • newjenn40
    Options
    awesome!!! Thanks for all the recipes!
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would not use a buttermilk or acidic soak for more then 20-30 min even for whole chicken and do not think they are as good for a smoked or slow cooked chicken

I would use a wet brine in salt water for 1-2 days as was mentioned but no need to use the other ingredients in the brine they add minimal effect mostly just to the surface while the salt plays a real role in providing more moisture and flavor in the meat through osmosis.

I would then spatchcock the chicken ( removing the backbone and breaking the breastbone to flatten it ) pat it dry and then use your season rub or herb paste such as a shallot and fresh parsley, oregano and thyme or even a lemon and tarragon.

or another rout is a dry cajun /creole rub and finish with a wet rub if you want.

also when its done it needs to rest for 10-15 min depending how you want the texture either covered or partially covered so the juices can settle.

I have prepared easily thousands of whole chickens, turkeys, duck and pheasant similar both over wood and cast iron seared and oven roasted to perfection.