Revelations...pls. add some of yours

Options
NewLIFEstyle4ME
NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
I'm reading "The Book of Revelations" currently and that got me inspired to post this. How strange, weird and even odd are the deep things I'm learning from this Book, how co-incidental that my weight loss adventure/journey is equally strange, weird and odd and DEEP--really kinda scary and at the exact same time super exciting too--just like my "drama" of getting this fat & flab off and most important, keeping it OFF. Here are some "revelations" I'm learning on this of-time ROUGH yet totally adventurous journey spirit, mind, body renewal and transformation:

1.) How I HATED/dread taking pictures or having people take pics of me....DUH, I've got the "revelation" just recently that it's ridiculous, because people CAN SEE me (for some strange, weird and odd reason--I didn't "get" that)! I've always thought I hated taking pics, because I didn't want people to see me. NO! I hate taking pics because I hate to see me like this. Seriously, sounds obvious and even dumb, but I am just getting this revelation and what I'm going to do about it???? I'm going to no longer "shun" taking pics with my family and friends and thus kicking the mess of out that dreamland and comfy place called DENIAL!

2.) Body Fat percentage vs. the scale. Another wonderful (as in full of WONDER:huh: ) that a "revelation" to me of late is this focusing on and working on my blasted body fat percentage, getting that bad boy (literally) DOWN substantially. This is my 2ndish-3rdish time in my life attempting to get to a healthy body weight (I'd alway been slim/trim until later on in life, after having children late in life). My body fat percentage is outrageously high, it's CRAZY high--quite disgustingly hight actually. Last year, When I threw down the gauntlet and did what it takes FOR ME to get this flab&fat off of my body (which included the thing that so many people on this journey discourage and balk at) my saying NO (and taking a I MEAN BUSINESS "NO" ) to many things (people, foods, drinks, lazy (aka "priviledge/entitled" lifestyle). When I did that CONSISTENTLY...POW/BAM--my bodyfat percentage went down to a "normal" healthy BMI status and that "relatively" quickly--which was nothing less than miraculous. I looked and more importantly felt 20 years younger, slimmer & trimmer and just plain GREAT (inside and out) and my scale weight moved down also, but not by super huge amounts (as my body fat % moved down much more) BUT my inches ALL OVER my body dropped dramatically (especially in my upper body, hands and even feet--but all over as well). Then, when I "arrogantly and self-confidentially" went back to eating the majority of junky foods and drinks, allowing stress (people, places and things) to DISTRACT me and OVERTAKE me--BLAM, here comes the fat, flab and yuck once more and then some:
What am I going to do about it? CHOOSE Life (eating to live, rather than living to eat and accepting with joy and understanding that I can NOT do what the h$ll (literally) I want to do anymore--as I am older and even if I wasn't--I need and want some self-discipline, maturity and responsibility in my "lifestyle--no longer living like a "spoiled brat" in the areas of eating, drinking and living. I can't eat, drink and live any ole way I want to (even though most can and do...I CAN NOT). I've GOT to watch what I've eating, drinking, thinking, being and living.

3.) I MUST make this a spirit, mind and BODY deal. I just can no longer do it for my spirit alone, not just for my mind/soul alone, not just for my body (to become gorgeous and look better physically) alone... I MUST do this as a WHOLE approach--I've tried doing it for my spirit, leaving one or the other aspect off (not incorporating ALL THREE simultaneously--Spirit, Mind & Body) and it's not working focusing on one and neglecting the others or worse... OR it worked, but only temporarily and thus didn't/doesn't work (FOR ME anyhoo)

Lastly...I FINALLY am accepting the "revelation" that I am ALONE in this journey actually. Even though I have loving, helpful darling family, loved ones, friends....It's just Jesus/God and me that's going to get this done. I MUST no longer "count on" motivation from outside sources (no matter how many people say I must and do), I've got to do this ALONE, for God (who I can't see) and for ME who I can see.

PLEASE ADD some of your "revelations" and most important...whatcha gonna do about it OR what ARE/HAVE you done about it?!?

:drinker: :flowerforyou: :smooched: {{{{{ Hugs }}}}}}:flowerforyou: :smooched: :drinker:

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Bump :happy:
  • rhondaec
    rhondaec Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • marhod5
    marhod5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    1) A portion size is not as much as I can eat at one time. Portions need to be weighed and measured. And a correct portion is satisfying.

2) It it much easier to control calories by not overeating than by trying to burn them off. I can lose weight by cutting calories alone. i cannot lose weight by exercise alone. But the two together make weight loss easier and more enjoyable.

3) I have to be my own support and motivation. If no one notices my loss, I can't let it get me down. People can't see my smaller pant size. People don't know if I've worked out longer or harder. I have to celebrate my own victories. I'm doing this for me.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    My revelation is that I alone need to be motivated to improve my life. As much as I would like for my parents to do it with me, they simply will not. I worry about them a lot, but I can't force them to make better choices any more than they can force me. My husband has been a wonderful support for me, but at the end of the day I decide what I'm going to put in my mouth and I decide how much exercise I'm going to get everyday.

Fabulous "revelation" and thanks so much for posting this! :heart: :drinker: :heart:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    1) A portion size is not as much as I can eat at one time. Portions need to be weighed and measured. And a correct portion is satisfying.

2) It it much easier to control calories by not overeating than by trying to burn them off. I can lose weight by cutting calories alone. i cannot lose weight by exercise alone. But the two together make weight loss easier and more enjoyable.

3) I have to be my own support and motivation. If no one notices my loss, I can't let it get me down. People can't see my smaller pant size. People don't know if I've worked out longer or harder. I have to celebrate my own victories. I'm doing this for me.

Wow...just WOW --Love, Love, LOVE this post--thank you ever so much for your reply!!!
    :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    The only negative words that matter are the ones you believe, whether someone says them to you or you say them to yourself. So be careful when you speak, becuase you are listening.

I am more than my body weight, look, and size.
    I am my mind, body, and spirit. All equally important in my health.

At 40+ eating better and exercise are less about improving health and more about maintaining. It is a choice of a diminsihing quality of life or keeping up as best you can. Health gains will be slow, but any slip and health loss will be quick.
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My revelation came not too long ago - I realized that the only way I would ever be successful in my weight loss was if I did it for me - no one else. Anyone that knows me knows how difficult it is for me to do anything for myself. Yet, when I told my husband I wanted to lose weight for me - he beamed with pride. Since my realization my weight loss has been a much bigger success. I feel healthier, happier and it's so much easier to stick with it.

Yes, my user name says one thing - and that is still true - but I'm doing this for me first.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    The only negative words that matter are the ones you believe, whether someone says them to you or you say them to yourself. So be careful when you speak, because you are listening.

I am more than my body weight, look, and size.
    I am my mind, body, and spirit. All equally important in my health.

At 40+ eating better and exercise are less about improving health and more about maintaining. It is a choice of a diminsihing quality of life or keeping up as best you can. Health gains will be slow, but any slip and health loss will be quick.

What a tremendous post...ALL of it is fabulous to me, but especially this...

The only negative words that matter are the ones you believe, whether someone says them to you or you say them to yourself. So be careful when you speak, because you are listening.

My beloved hubby tells me/has been telling me this often--for YEARS, but...I'm JUST "understanding/accepting/taking heed to" this wise admonition recently. It's nothing less than "revelation" for sure. How EASY and natural negative "self-talk" is for/to me. Again, your ENTIRE post is a super terrific encouragement/inspiration for/to me. Thanks dude--you ROCK!
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    1. Bring a water bottle, EVERYWHERE.
    2. Don't let people get you down, or distract you from your goals.
    3. Surround yourself with positive people, people who inspire, motivate, and support you, drop those who bring you down.
    4. Be active, everyday, even if it's a little bit.
    5. No matter how much you change, how confident you get, always strive to be a inspiration, and to motivate others .

Btw, op, very nicely written, sounds like you're doing great !
  • allisage2012
    Options
    Jult 1st my dr put me on a script and a 1200 cal diet. With a very firm NO going out to eat...... I have learned my hubby and i have to learn how to date without food and drinks.... My hubby is deaf so we dont go to movies or out dancing.... However we have disscussed this and we have went for a few hikes together and there may be a trip to a museum in our future with hiking and a piknik at the park. Also Im a work in progress and its ok....
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    My revelation came not too long ago - I realized that the only way I would ever be successful in my weight loss was if I did it for me - no one else. Anyone that knows me knows how difficult it is for me to do anything for myself. Yet, when I told my husband I wanted to lose weight for me - he beamed with pride. Since my realization my weight loss has been a much bigger success. I feel healthier, happier and it's so much easier to stick with it.

Yes, my user name says one thing - and that is still true - but I'm doing this for me first.

How wonderful for you! Isn't it utterly amazing how LONG it can take for some of us to "get-it". Also, how happier/content not only we become, but our loved ones are for us as well once that "light-bulb" goes off in us? It's deep--revelation indeed! Congrats to you too. :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My Revelations:

1. Nothing worthwhile ever comes easy. This takes hard work and dedication.

2. Being healthy is about more than just being skinny. It is about eating correctly and having a strong mind and body.

3. Sometimes it's going to be extremely hard, but if you just keep on pushing through it does get easier. This cycle will happen repeatedly. Accept it, and never give up!

4. Some people will help you. Others will want you to fail. The only time people ever want you to fail is because they are scared of your success and that you will become better than them. Good! Use that as motivation. Jealousy only means you are doing something right that others can be jealous of.

5. Good things take time. In order to do this the healthy and sustainable way, it is going to take a while, and that's okay. That's how it is supposed to be. Gradual progress is still progress!
  • amann_84
    amann_84 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My revelation was that my body could be pushed a lot farther than what my mind wanted to go. Once I convinced myself that I could keep going well past the point that my mind told me I need to quit, I found myself accomplishing things I only dreamed of doing.
  • jackieleannebowman
    jackieleannebowman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    1. Don’t be afraid to just TRY and KEEP trying!

It took a lot of courage for me to just go to that first bootcamp class, and even more to keep going. I felt ashamed of being overweight, embarrassed for being so out of shape, and discouraged that I couldn’t complete most of the exercises…. But I made me feel like that, no one else did so I made the decision to keep going. Now bootcamp is what I look forward to most and contributed to my greatest weight/fitness successes. Going through that also opened the door for me to try yoga, running, HIIT, kettle bell classes things I never would have dreamed of trying before.

2. Strength training + Carido + Healthy Meal Choices = Overall Success - for me anyway :)
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    * I learned that my biggest impediment to getting stronger and fitter was me! Not my job, not time (or lack thereof), not my perceived limitations, not others in my life, not my family history, ME! (And I am working to change that!) :)

* I am slowly learning that the limits I have are mental, not physical, and that me and my body are pretty darn incredible! I am doing things in the past few weeks, that I had never thought possible - EVER.

* It's a life long process - this won't stop in a couple of weeks because I hit a certain weight goal or accomplished some fitness goal. This is the rest of my life.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I learned that this is a conscious journey. You cannot just magically get slim and fit without being intentional with your eating habits, thinking habits, and even sleeping habits. I really agree about the Spirit, Soul, and Body notion. I believe they all work hand in hand.

You can't successful without incorporating each element into your life. My Soul can't prosper without my spirit, and spirit can't prosper if I'm not taking care of my body (your body is the temple of God), so they are all intertwined.

My biggest revelation is to set your own goals. Don't let anyone alter your goals because of their opinions (negative or positive). There will be people that will say you have lost too much weight, you shouldn't be doing this type of program, you should or shouldn't be eating this type of food. Do you your own research, set your own goals, because you are the only one that has to live every minute of the day as you!
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I am a food addict, and I am in recovery.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My revelation hit once I was maintaining. First, my weight will always fluctuate given the time of day I weigh myself and the amount of water in my body. Maintaining means maintain weight within a range. It's hard to get out of the lose lose lose mode once you hit it, but a weight gain or loss of a few pounds is not big deal so long as you stay within a healthy weight range.

More important to me, though, is what I tell myself on 'fat days,' because sometimes weighing one extra pound more than I did yesterday weighs on me mentally. I look myself in the mirror and say " you still fit into the awesome jeans and your boyfriend still thinks you're the hottest girl he's ever laid eyes on. I don't care what that scale says, because you have it made."

realizing the above was my revelation. Weight no longer matters so long as I am healthy and feel good in my skin.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    1. I can live without Skittles or Starburst.
    2. I crave what I eat, so the more crap I eat, the more crap I want.
    3. Portion control is key. And my eyeballs suck at measuring portions. Get a good scale.
    4. You can eat a deli sandwhich without chips (I swear, this one is fact).
    5. I'm all that I need to be. Right now, today, as is. It doesn't mean I can't work toward being a better me. But for today, what I am is enough.
    6. Water is for more than bathing.
    7. WALK isn't one of those four letter words my mom wouldn't let me say as a kid.
    8. The secret to sustained weight loss is no secret at all. Eat less, move more, or preferably, both.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Honestly being away from my parents and living in a new country has helped me focus on myself. I realize how important it is to take care of yourself, first. Living a healthy lifestyle has helped me become a happier person. I know I would like to succeed not only with my career in the future, but also with being healthy, having a healthy marriage, and being able to raise my kids to live a healthy lifestyle.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!