are you diligent about following macros or just calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm most diligent about calories. It's a chore to eat enough protein and not too much fat. My carb counts are all over the place but I focus on fiber more than total carbs.

My main dietary concerns are:
    -- Don't eat too much calories or fat.
    -- Don't eat too little fiber, calcium or protein.
  • jmosery
    jmosery Posts: 10
    Options
    LIZ- with that calculator my BMR is 1209 and my TDEE with sedetary is 1451 and with 3-5 days exercise its 1875

other sites have givin me a TDEE of 2050 so if I subtract 20% from that it would put me at 1640. so maybe I should up my calories a bit to 1650?

if I set my calories to 1650 and set my marcos to 35/35/30 C/P/F that puts me at 144g/144g/55g

thats a lot of protein. wow! and carbs!! its easier for me to get more fat calories
  • amandarama_
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds only doing calories, the first 50 of which was with hardly any exercise. Now that I am in the home stretch, on the last 10 pounds, I am trying to start paying attention to my macros. It's a change for me, because before I've been so focused on only the calories. I am working out a lot more now too though, so I know that the protein is more important.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I try to worry about it some, but I don't drive myself nuts over it. My goal really is to be close to 120g of protein a day, for the rest sometimes I have more carbs, sometimes more fat, whatever really.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm not diligent about any of the numbers. Why work that hard if it isn't necessary?

Sometimes my calories are a liittle under, sometimes they are spot-on, sometimes they are a little over. MFP does not allow me to customize the way I would like to so I'm alway over & under on things there. I kind of have a ballpark range around my net calorie goal and anywhere near that +/- is fine.

The fat & inches are melting away so I'd say it is working perfectly for me.
  • OtakuMusician
    OtakuMusician Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Calories, and maybe sodium if I eat something I know is high in it.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I'm not diligent about any of the numbers. Why work that hard if it isn't necessary?

Sometimes my calories are a liittle under, sometimes they are spot-on, sometimes they are a little over. MFP does not allow me to customize the way I would like to so I'm alway over & under on things there. I kind of have a ballpark range around my net calorie goal and anywhere near that +/- is fine.

It's pretty malleable with customized goals.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I do both, but if I had to pick one I watch more closely it would be macros, however, at this stage I am maintaining and just trying to maintain muscle.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

It's pretty malleable with customized goals.

Not enough for me but it really doesn't matter. I don't aim to hit the same specific numbers every day.
  • salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I look at protein since my dietitian told me that it sticks to your ribs better than carbs so you feel less hungry and sodium because of high BP (which is about as low as it's ever been at the moment) but other than that I pretty much ignore them.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to overall calories. I'm usually over MFP's unrealistic numbers on sugar, fat and protein, but since those are my three favorite food groups I don't care, as long as I'm well under on overall calories.
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i just asked about macro percentages in food and nutrition. i track macros only and it is what broke my plateau. i'm sticking with what works. i do 40% 40% 20%. carbs, protein, fat

If you've only been here this month, you haven't hit a plateau.
    I've been following MFP for 5 weeks and I am presently in mynSECOND plateau.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My actual goal is a body fat% rather than a weight, so I do watch calories first and foremost, but protein is a close second. After that, I track my sodium and vitamin C intake. Vitamin C helps me make sure I'm logging enough fruits and veggies every day. (I set up my account so I don't see the sugar number anymore, I see vitamin C instead.)
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    i dont know if I should really be series about following macros or just focus on sticking to a certain number of calories a day

i'm 35 yo female, 5'0 at 130. i would like to drop 15 lbs. so eating at 1500 a day. does that seem ok? i dont want to go too low

I lift heavy 3 days a week and run four miles 4-5 days a week(going to substitute 2 of those long runs for HIIT)

It depends. When I have a lot to lose I worry about calories period, when I get closer to my goal and start working on changing up my body comp through more than just calorie deficit then I worry more about macros.
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I usually just pay attention to calories. I eat tons of fruit and veggies, so my carbs are always over. I don't let it stress me out because I know I'm eating healthily. :smile:
  • trogalicious
    Options
    i just asked about macro percentages in food and nutrition. i track macros only and it is what broke my plateau. i'm sticking with what works. i do 40% 40% 20%. carbs, protein, fat

Nope. Stalls = / = Plateau. Go for a few months then call me back.
  • grumpadon
    grumpadon Posts: 24
    Options

mine did last 3 months. joining MFP and tracking macros broke mine.
  • trogalicious
    Options

mine did last 3 months. joining MFP and tracking macros broke mine.

Congrats. I wasn't responding to you.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options

\

One week isn't a plateau. Plateaus are usually a month or more - its your body's way of regrouping after weight loss and beocming used to the changes you're making.