Running with blisters?!

Options
uneik3
uneik3 Posts: 68 Member
So this is kinda gross, but hopefully I'm not the only out there with this problem. I run a lot, but I also have weird feet and get blisters pretty frequently, not from my running shoes, but from just about every other pair. Do any of you have any tips or suggestions on how to cushion or heal up those blisters so I can get back in my running shoes and back to the pavement? Thanks!

Replies

• uneik3
    Options
    Bueller?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Get some non-cotton socks.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Better socks?

I've used mole skin on blisters hiking, but never running. That might help?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Put Vaseline on your feet before you put on your socks.

Oh, and get synthetic socks. Cotton is rotten.
  • uneik3
    Options
    It's not running that causes blisters though, my running shoes and socks are about the only thing that don't give me blisters. It's just about any other half way cute pair of shoes or sandals that causes them. I try to avoid them, but I'm not wearing sneakers to a nice dinner. And they pop up in different places depending on the shoe, so I can't really predict where they'll pop up. So once I have them, how do I get back to running?
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the shape of your feet, but the problem seems to be that your shoes don't fit. Stay away from the high volume shoe stores and try one that specializes in fitting people with odd size feet. If your shoes are too wide that can sometimes cause problems and you may be able to fill up some of the space with inserts from the drug store.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sounds like poor fitting shoes. Go to a store that will properly measure your feet. They will be able to give you advice on why your current shoes are rubbing and recommend what will fit you.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    I don't know about the shape of your feet, but the problem seems to be that your shoes don't fit. Stay away from the high volume shoe stores and try one that specializes in fitting people with odd size feet. If your shoes are too wide that can sometimes cause problems and you may be able to fill up some of the space with inserts from the drug store.

No, that's just women's shoes. They don't fit anybody's feet and are designed as an implement of torture.

Srsly, OP, you have to decide on your priorities--if a pair of shoes gives you such blisters that you cannot exercise afterward, perhaps it's time to get rid of them.

That said, shoes with leather insoles and inner lining are generally more comfortable on my bare feet, and platform/wedge shoes are easier on the feet than stilettos/kitten heels/etc. Figuring out how to not rip up and deform your feet is a lifelong process.

As a short-term solution, pop those blisters, put some antibiotic cream on them and some decent specialized band-aids. You can put moleskin adhesive on the inside of your favorite shoes, but in my experience, it doesn't do much to prevent blisters. For some people, it helps.
  • jennibear8504
    Options
    I got "runner" socks, and I use blister block when I do running, its done the trick for me... and when I do get a blister I get blister bandages, I like that they cushion, and stick for a long time, water and sweat proof too. Blisters are no fun :(
  • lizdwolf
    lizdwolf Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I put A&D ointment (yep, same stuff you use for diaper rash) on hot spots. If I have a blister I pop it and put on a good coat of New Skin. I'm also a huge fan of those heal pads and toe pads you can slip into a pump or a ballet flat to make the shoe fit better.
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options

No, that's just women's shoes. They don't fit anybody's feet and are designed as an implement of torture.

Heh. No its mens shoes too. I take a B width and its tough to find shoes that fit. Oversize shoes don't usually cause blisters unless I'm on a long hike, but sometimes people try to compensate for wide shoes by getting a shorter shoe and that can cause problems too. Anyway, if the problem is that your street shoes don't fit, thats what you should try to solve so you don't get the blisters in the first place. There are shoe stores that deal with that sort of thing, but the shoes probably won't be cheap.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    chug some whiskey
    then run.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You know, I used to have that same problem. It's not really about the size of the shoe but rather the foot that doesn't fit the shoe.
    I struggled with this for so long. I don't wear heels anymore. I pick up nice flat comfy shoes for when I go out but you won't see me in heels, ever.

Now this might not be a solution for you, I know some women love their heels more than the pain they cause but really you can find some darn comfy shoes that are really classy and best of all they won't damage your foot. ^_^
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    mole skin. you can get it in most any store. the military swears by it... oh, and new shoes that fit right ;)
  • uneik3
    Options

Hahaha, so true! Thanks for the tips guys. I have wide feet and a couple toes that I've broken that healed crooked, so that's partly why I have a hard time finding cuter shoes that fit properly. Most of them are fine for a bit, but living in NYC, the miles can quickly and unexpectedly add up. I throw away the ones that give me blisters more than once, but literally every pair of shoes besides my sneakers will cause them after more than a few miles, and I can't afford to throw away all my shoes and buy all new ones (especially since any new ones will be just as likely to have the same problem)! I'll try the popping and new skin, I've never tried that before. And if that fails, I may just have to make my peace that I'll be one of those ladies on the subway headed to work in a skirt and sneakers... crap! :ohwell:
  • uneik3
    Options
    chug some whiskey
    then run.

Sounds like a winner! Headed out now! :drinker:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have never let blisters stop me from running. I wear good running socks, my favs are Injinji or Thorolo's (misspelled probably) But frankly, blisters will callous over and become no big deal. Wouldn't think twice about not running with them.
  • uneik3
    Options
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! I'm definitely going to look into the moleskins, but don't worry mlb929, I'm still going for a run tonight regardless!
  • bumblebums
    Options

Hahaha, so true! Thanks for the tips guys. I have wide feet and a couple toes that I've broken that healed crooked, so that's partly why I have a hard time finding cuter shoes that fit properly. Most of them are fine for a bit, but living in NYC, the miles can quickly and unexpectedly add up. I throw away the ones that give me blisters more than once, but literally every pair of shoes besides my sneakers will cause them after more than a few miles, and I can't afford to throw away all my shoes and buy all new ones (especially since any new ones will be just as likely to have the same problem)! I'll try the popping and new skin, I've never tried that before. And if that fails, I may just have to make my peace that I'll be one of those ladies on the subway headed to work in a skirt and sneakers... crap! :ohwell:

Well then, let a fellow New Yorker offer you a tip: the money you save on not owning a car is the money you should spend looking for comfortable shoes that aren't fugly. I walk a lot, and I hardly ever get blisters because I have very strict criteria for what goes on my feet. If the shoes don't fit in the store, it doesn't matter how attractive they are, they aren't coming home with me. I do not live or spend much time uptown or on Wall St. so nobody expects me to live in stilettos, but I have yet to wear a skirt with sneakers in my life :)