What am I doing wrong?

Options
Okay. Why am I not losing weight? Actually I am gaining this week. Why? Why? Why? I have felt that the weight is harder and harder to get off the last few weeks. The only differences in my routine is that I am working out harder (more calories per day) and wearing a HRM. Should be more accurate and therefore more effective right? My menu is about the same. Admittedly I have gone over a few times (had a funeral, and a night out with friends), but that is not much different than before? I have gone from an easy 2-3 lbs per week to struggling to get 1 off, and this week to even HAVE a loss. Water consumption is good...better than usual actually.

My diary is public (will be as soon as I hit post anyway). Any suggestions/critiques are welcome.

P.S. - SW=239.8, CW=205.4, GW=150 (for now). So nowhere near the tough last 10, and still lots to lose.

Replies

• losingnow
    Options
    I have been having the same problem for the last 4-6 weeks. Can't wait to see what others post about this! Getting discouraged!
  • dawnsant
    Options
    All I can say is hang in there. I have not lost one single ound in the last two weeks ... may be three once I weigh on Monday. Keep up the work. Hang in there. You will see a difference. I am thinking that once we do havve another weightloss week ... it is going to be a good one! So, keep it up!
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    More than likely you are not getting enough calories. 1200 a day is the minimum that your body needs. Anything less than that could slow down your metabolism and put your body into starvation mode. If you're exercising you should try to eat at least some of your exercise calories.

If this doesn't help could TOM be approaching? Or have you mixed up your exercise routine in a while? If none of this helps, have you had your thyroid checked lately?
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I don't know how true it is, because I am not a dietitian or a nutritionist, but I have read on here that you should be eating at a minimum of 1200 calories a day to keep your body out of starvation mode.
    Your calorie intake seems really low. Try eating more?
  • Dawn_2013
    Options
    It isn't you!! Plateauing is normal and positive (I know, I know...) but it is. What is happening is your body is hitting a new 'set point' which is like your new 'high weight.' sometimes it takes a few weeks and then BLAMO, you will start to lose again.

I know it sucks...trust me...I have been through this! It is a normal part of weight loss and hang in there...keep up wth the lifestyle changes, keep yourself honest...(no closet doritos :noway: ) and it will start coming off again soon. You have come this far....TRUST ME, this is temporary!:flowerforyou:
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I would suggest more fresh vegetables as they are filling and more nutritious for your body. Drink your 64+ ounces of water a day!!! Try to eat your heavier meals early in the day, while spreading your calories out over 4-6 meal times. Zig zag your calories (1300 one day, up to 1500 one day, back down to 1400 and round about like that) and change up your workouts (I only exercised 2-3 times a week and while I did suffer through 2 difficult plateaus, exercising more isn't necessarily the answer to losing weight). Hang in there whatever you do because the plateau will break!!!! I understand the 3500 calories equal 1 pound thing, and how you have to manage through diet and exercise to remove 3500 calories for every pound you want to lose, but I believe there is way more to weight loss than just that calculation, otherwise none of us would go through these difficult plateaus!!!
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough....and try adding more fruits and veggies....looking back on your diaries....doesn't see like you are eating very much food.....you should be trying to eat every 3-4 hours...small meals with a few WISE snacks.....I see that you have been keeping track of your sodium which is a good thing because that will screw you up sometimes.....and I also don't think increasing your workouts is the answer either (remember you have to be able to maintain this at some point...) and make sure you keep track of your water (its easy to loose track, that's why I use the counter on the food diary)...hope this helps......
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you talk to the nutritionist for your program. Our needs are different than most people on MFP...

I followed my program to a T and lost weight all throughout the process. I did have one week of no loss right about when I was at the weight I ended up sticking to near the end, but that's it.

What I did was start with the generic recommendations of my program for calories, fat, carbs, protein, etc. Then, as my activity level rose above average, they modified my goals to include more protein. This also upped my calories a bit as I couldn't get the protein in without eating more carbs and fat too. But not a lot more.

Here's a chart showing my first year post-op in terms of eating and exercising and weight loss to give you an idea:

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2010/07/calories-protein-carbs-exercise-weight.html