Where's my instant gratification?

Options
I just started MFP last week and started trying to get fit about two weeks ago, and I've lost only 5 pounds in those weeks, but I don't notice any difference in any ways.
I'm starting to lose my motivation. I feel like my attention span for this is starting to diminish, and its time to move onto the next thing.
I feel sore from working, and sad because I can't eat what I want.

How am I supposed to stay motivated? How do you all stay motivated and not become discouraged from week to week?

Also, I mainly do the elliptical trainer for my work-outs, is there anything that's fun that burns just as many calories that I can do?

Replies

• KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Five pounds in two weeks is amazing.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    It'll take time for you to notice it on your own body... I'm 10 pounds down in 4 months, so you're 5 pounds loss in a couple weeks is pretty amazing!

I understand losing weight you need to change some things, but I don't see why anyone has to cut out everything they love. Everything in moderation. If you log it adn it stays within your calorie budget, you should be fine. Eat and enjoy.

Hang in there and keep mixing things up. You're progress is great!
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    Before I say anything else, I'd like to congratulate you on those 5 lbs because 5 lbs in two weeks is actually a really great start! Take a moment to soak in that number. There's 5 less pounds for you to lose right now. How awesome is that?

Now, since I don't know all of the specifics on this new lifestyle you've started, I'll just say what has worked for me in the past (and what is currently working for me now):

1) I don't give up anything that I don't want to. If I want ice cream or a slice of pizza, I have it. I just do my best to make it fit into my daily calorie/macro goal. A lot of other members also do this. If you can't imagine eating the way you are now for the rest of your life, then you're probably being too restrictive and that's going to make your motivation die.
    2) I only exercise when I want to. In the past, pressuring myself to exercise only made me want to give up sooner. Now I just do what I want. Losing weight for a lot of people is mostly about what you put in your mouth. Exercise can come later.
    3) I don't sweat the small stuff. If I go over my goal for a day then I just shrug and move on. It's no big deal and it's not going to hurt you if you don't do it all the time.
    4) I rely on myself to know what's right for me, first and foremost. People are going to give you a lot of spiel about what you should be eating or what you should be doing, but at the end of the day you should remind yourself that opinions are not gospel. Everyone is different, so customize everything you do for yourself. You don't have to listen to just one thing or follow just one rule. Make it fun and make it comfortable! It's your diet and you should be happy.

My favorite ways to exercise, since you asked for suggestions: swimming, walks with friends, and dancing. I think they're all super fun.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP last week and started trying to get fit about two weeks ago, and I've lost only 5 pounds in those weeks, but I don't notice any difference in any ways.
    I'm starting to lose my motivation. I feel like my attention span for this is starting to diminish, and its time to move onto the next thing.
    I feel sore from working, and sad because I can't eat what I want.

How am I supposed to stay motivated? How do you all stay motivated and not become discouraged from week to week?

Also, I mainly do the elliptical trainer for my work-outs, is there anything that's fun that burns just as many calories that I can do?

Why can't you eat what you want? You should be able to eat whatever you want that fits into your calorie allowance. Not to be harsh, but if you're upset with 5 pounds in 2 weeks, then when that weight loss slows to a steady level of 1 to 2 pounds per week, you may have the tendency to quit. It all depends on if it's a priority to you or not. If it is, then put everything you have into it, if it's not, then it's not, and that's fine, but don't expect the progress without the work
  • amandarama_
    Options
    They say it takes 4 weeks for you to notice changes, 8 weeks for those closest to you, and 12 weeks for everyone else.

Stick with it! Focus on how you feel and that will carry you through the rest.

Five pounds in two weeks is awesome!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your heads not even remotely in the right place and your expectations are whack. Weight loss, health, fitness...these things aren't about instant gratification...these things are about dedication and perseverance...doesn't sound like you have much of either...good luck.
  • afryy
    afryy Posts: 3
    Options
    The reason I feel so let down by this whole thing is that I feel like I'm still in denial that I put on a bunch of weight, so the past couples weeks of constantly working out and watching what I eat is something that's showing to be difficult because I want to be able to be at where I was about 4 years ago.
    I understand that its going to be a very long and grueling process, but its hard to not just want the instant gratification.

Also thanks guys, I appreciate the support.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    5 pounds in two weeks is awesome! But find a way to work in foods that you like - it can be done with portion control, or swapping high calories ingredients for lesser ones. Don't drag yourself down by denying yourself, because it's far too easy to focus on the negatives. As far as staying motivated, well we all have different motivations. Set incremental goals, or buy a dress/swimsuit/whatever in your goal size. For me, it was my smallest pre-pregnancy pants. I was getting back in to them come hell or high water.

You know why you want this, so find a way to let that drive you.