Exercises while on bedrest and pregnant

Options
So it is looking like I might be on bed rest for my entire 3rd trimester thanks to preeclampsia but I don't want to lose all of my muscle and gain a ton of weight. I know I could use weights and do bench press with them for my arms and chest. Anything else? Anyone else go thru this?

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    you probably shouldn't exercise if you're on bedrest
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

This.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    I was immobile in hospital for 6 months in 2011 and the physio's had me doing pilates type core exercises. Would check with your doctor first, of course.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

This.

Agreed. Even weights raise your heart rate, which I'm assuming with pre-e is to be avoided.

At the very least, ask your OB, not strangers on the internet who have no idea about the risks of your condition.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this would work or if it would even be safe, but google Brewer's Diet and ask your OB about it.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options

This.

Don't risk it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    bed rest means bed rest...you shouldn't be doing ****. How about worrying about all that stuff after you've safely and happily delivered your baby. That's priority one right now...everything else can be taken care of later.
  • PattyRain
    PattyRain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had preeclampsia with all 3 of my children and had them all early because of it - 5 weeks, 7 weeks and 9 weeks early. Preeclampsia means that your pregnancy is causing your blood pressure to go high and it can not only affect the baby, but cause your kidneys and liver to start shutting down. It can also cause seizures.

The ONLY person to ask your question should be your doctor.

Your baby is worth the wait and loss of muscle if your Dr. says no weights. Seriously ask to do a tour of the NICU if you start getting anxious. After a week on bedrest with my first I wasn't sure I wanted to wait that long, but seeing those babies showed me that they were worth all my sacrifices to keep them in as long as I could. You don't want this baby to come early.

And as for gaining tons of weight - if you are eating what you should then you won't gain a ton. Ask to see a nutritionist if you don't know what you should be eating.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful comments. My appointment with my doctor to verify if I have preeclampsia or not is Wednesday so of course I will ask my doctor then, I was just trying to see what other people had experienced. I was not expecting to hear go run or anything like that, just thinking of low impact exercises I could do from bed.
  • ShannonKelliG
    ShannonKelliG Posts: 70 Member
    Options

This.

Don't risk it.

When I was on bed rest for pre-e I was allowed up to the washroom and to shower once a day. That's it. Right now isn't the time to worry about your weight.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I had severe preeclampsia with all 3 of my children and had them all early because of it - 5 weeks, 7 weeks and 9 weeks early. Preeclampsia means that your pregnancy is causing your blood pressure to go high and it can not only affect the baby, but cause your kidneys and liver to start shutting down. It can also cause seizures.

The ONLY person to ask your question should be your doctor.

Your baby is worth the wait and loss of muscle if your Dr. says no weights. Seriously ask to do a tour of the NICU if you start getting anxious. You don't want this baby to come early.

And as for gaining tons of weight - if you are eating what you should then you won't gain a ton. Ask to see a nutritionist if you don't know what you should be eating.

I appreciate the warning, I was early due to my mom having it as well so I know the risks. I will just ask my dr.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor. I was on bed rest for about 8 weeks (a long time ago :laugh: ) and I was only allowed to get up to use the bathroom. I was allowed to shower & shampoo only once a week. So yeah, check with your doctor about what you can and can not do. You can work on you afterwards. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • msaprilm1
    msaprilm1 Posts: 47
    Options
    Kegels - :embarassed: :flowerforyou:
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

Agreed
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Bedrest means precisely that. You'll be bored and you might gain weight, but you can address your fitness after the baby arrives.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    At this point just keep yourself and that baby safe. You can lose weight after you have given birth. It's not that serious.
  • GLady1980
    GLady1980 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt do any exercise as it is not worth the life of your child to stay fit while pregnant if you have been put on bedrest
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting while on bedrest? I hope you're joking.

You sit in bed, you keep your baby as safe as possible. Watch your diet.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Preeclampsia is a big deal. It's not like you've got an incompetent cervix or something and the rest of you is fine. Pre-e could result in you having a stroke. Don't mess around with it. I'm actually shocked to hear that you're going in Wednesday to see if you have it. If you're having symptoms of pre-e, you should be there right now. Like RIGHT NOW. If it's just a family history with no symptoms, then I can see waiting. But seriously, if you have symptoms, get to your doc. If you have pre-e and go on bedrest, just relax and take care of yourself and your baby.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Just watch Days of our Lives and enjoy the break. Kristen is trying to get back at EJ and it might get good. And watching Jennifer melt down is kinda funny.

Take care of you and your little one.