Morning Workouts - I need help!

Options
Hi all,

I've found that on days I work out, I eat healthier and log my food on MFP too. However, there are days during the week that I have something planned right after work (dinner, evening with friends, etc.), and I don't have time to go to the gym in between. So, I am not logging, eating out, and not working out - bad combo for my calorie goal!

I have recently been thinking that I need to incorporate more morning workings, but I really don't know how. Every time I have tried in the past I always (in my half asleep daze) convinced myself that sleep is more important than working out and I reset my alarm clock for a later workout time. Any advice on how to be better at working out in the morning? Would love any help/advice!

Thanks,

Meg

Replies

• amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Morning workouts are the best.

But they definately take some level of motivation. You've got to be willing to go to bed a little earlier so you can get up an hour (or more) before your regular time to workout.

Best advice I have? Just do it. Pull yourself up by the bootstraps and dedicate yourself to the morning. No excuses.

Once you push yourself through that first week, the second and third will be easier, and by week 4, you'll be an old pro!

Best of luck!
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just recently started a morning workout routine. I always end up with something planned for the afternoon so getting a workout in after work has been very hard. I wake up an hour earlier than I used to and get to the gym before work. I feel great the whole rest of the day. Since I've only been doing it for about a week and a half, it's still hard. Yesterday, I choose sleep over working out and went in the afternoon. I told myself, you choose to sleep in but your health is important. If you only woke up early you'd be doing something else now.

It also motivates me to see fewer people in the gym in the morning. Whatever equipment I want to use is almost always free. It can be hit or miss when I go in the afternoon.
  • megsaroo
    megsaroo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you both! Good advice - I think yall are right. I just need to suck it up and do it!
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem with the morning workout attempts. I've even resorted to looking for someone that's willing to call me at 5:30am (if they're already up of course) and tell me to get my *kitten* out of bed and exercise.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to incorporate morning workouts to have my afternoons free. Last week, my first week, I did great. Only slept in one day. This week has been a whole different story. I keep setting my alarm and I know eventually I will give into it. I felt so much better last week, health and attitude wise. Together we can do this.
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, just get up and DO it! I am NOT a morning person, but like you, when I workout I make better choices. I am a better version of myself. So that is my motivation when I want to hit snooze again or stay in bed. Plus, it just puts a positive spin on your day.
  • SRDB00
    SRDB00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I work out close to my job which is a 30 minutes without traffic (early morning) or 1 hr and 15 minutes with the morning commute if I leave my house just to get to work. I choose to get up early and work out near the job so I miss the traffic getting to work. hence saving me 45 minutes in traffic and getting my workout out of the way for the day.

So far it's working for me!
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Go to bed an hour earlier at night. You're probably just watching TV or on the computer by then.
    Get up an hour earlier every day. Every day! Make it a habit.
    On workout days, get your exercise in.
    On non workout days, do something else productive like laundry, cleaning the kitchen or catching up on reading.
    Do not roll over and go back to sleep, even on off days.
    Once your body is in that habit, it gets much easier and you get more done during your day.
  • Montrose11
    Montrose11 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I recently started working out in the morning. Coming home at night and then trying to make the time with my family and working out was difficult. I pop in a Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds video in the morning and do it. It does require getting up an hour earlier but it's getting easier after 3+ weeks. If you want to give it a try, some of her videos are on YouTube.

My skin looks great all day from the workout. I have to shower in the morning anyway, so why not after I workout?

Good luck! Let us know how you do!!